Question About SBR, Sort of.........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I am looking at buying this upper (BCM Standard 11.5" Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense (DARK EARTH) RISII Mk18 Handguard).

My question is if I buy this and put it on a stripped lower that I have and make it a pistol do I need to do any NFA paperwork? Later on down the road I will do the paperwork to create an SBR. I just want to make sure I am ok to throw it on a pistol lower that I am making??

BCM-URG-11%20RISII%20DE-2.jpg

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    holy crap that thing is pricey.. $810 plus shipping and doesn't even come with a bcg? what makes it worth that much?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    That is gorgeous. You going to have it put together when you get back for R&R?

No, but when I come home for good at the of January I hope to have it sitting at the house. I think for right now I am going to try and get a 9mm upper built for the stripped lower I have at the house. The only thing is that it is about a 90-120 day wait for them through RRA.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You're making it up. Even if a lower is marked "pistol" it doesn't mean it is. It's the configuration of parts that makes it a pistol or not.

While we're on that point and talking about 9mm ARs... Does a SBR lower have to indicate the proper caliber of the rifle? I remember reading that "Multi" caliber is no longer acceptable on an SBR.

For example...

If I happen to have an AR lower marked "Multi" and I want to SBR it, will I run into problems?
    If I happen to have an AR lower marked "5.56" and I want to SBR it as a 9mm (w/ a mag block), will I run into problems?

Not trying to hijack your thread Booseman - these questions seem like they may be relevant to your intentions, as well.

Someone point me in the right direction if this has previously been covered.

Thanks!

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    While we're on that point and talking about 9mm ARs... Does a SBR lower have to indicate the proper caliber of the rifle? I remember reading that "Multi" caliber is no longer acceptable on an SBR.

For example...

If I happen to have an AR lower marked "Multi" and I want to SBR it, will I run into problems?
    If I happen to have an AR lower marked "5.56" and I want to SBR it as a 9mm (w/ a mag block), will I run into problems?

Not trying to hijack your thread Booseman - these questions seem like they may be relevant to your intentions, as well.

Someone point me in the right direction if this has previously been covered.

Thanks!

No hijack at all, those are good questions. As the rules change all the time.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You're making it up. Even if a lower is marked "pistol" it doesn't mean it is. It's the configuration of parts that makes it a pistol or not.

Thanks. I knew the whole, "Once a rifle, always a rifle" thing applied and that you could convert a pistol to rifle but not back. There's too many damn rules.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Your ATF Form 4473 needs to say handgun for the receiver or else you are in violation of the law and risk a 10 year prison stint.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    also, I believe that the lower receiver can never have been registered as a Long Gun not sure though, I think you can go only one direction without a $200 stamp and a lot of paperwork (State and Federal).

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Thanks. I knew the whole, "Once a rifle, always a rifle" thing applied and that you could convert a pistol to rifle but not back. There's too many damn rules.

This is incorrect. They can in fact go back and forth.

Your ATF Form 4473 needs to say handgun for the receiver or else you are in violation of the law and risk a 10 year prison stint.

This is wrong too. It has to go in the books as a receiver.

Top Bottom