Question about stolen firearms .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If a gun was reported stolen many years ago , can it ever " age out " from showing up as stolen ? My Dad got a gun from a friend of his that was a BRPD Officer . This was probably 45 years ago . There's no doubt that the Officer took the gun from some dirtbag on the street so the provenance is probably pretty interesting . I inherited the gun when my Dad passed and it just sits in the safe but I would never sell it .
    Edited to add - I don't know for sure that it's stolen , but I wouldn't be surprised either .

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Not that I'm aware of. A buddy of mine and I ran into an interesting issue with a gun that was reported stolen in burglary where a large number of guns were boosted from his grandad. As it turned out, he ended up finding that pistol years after the fact where grandad had squirrelled it away. 20 plus years later it was still in the system as stolen. And with his grandad having passed it was a huge hassle to get it fixed and alter the original report.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If he "took the gun" from someone on the street , would it no get filed and placed in the evidence room? If not, then is it not considered stolen or did he get a Bill of Sale from the guy?
    " Back in the day " things were done differently . This was a long time ago .
    It’s not just back in the day. Remember the NOPD officer that was arrested not long ago selling crack with an apartment full of evidence locker firearms. Nothing has changed that are usually just more discrete.

Top Bottom