question for 1911 carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am a firm believer in having a main carry piece, (1911, glock, etc...) and having a backup. The small j-frame is a great option. I mostly carry a 1911 and rarely do not have at least 1 spare mag, not that I that migh ever need it, but better safe than sorry.

I recomend sticking with your government model, you know it and trust it, however I would look into the site issue.

Practice your draw...... A lot! As far as condition 1 carry, (cocked and locked). Once you get comfortable carring the, maybe in the half cocked or even try carrying it cocked and locked on an empty chamber until you feel comfortable. Like a couple of the other guys said get a good belt and a good holster.
    Just whatever you decide, make sure your confident in your choice. I was fortunate enough to have a real life learning experience where I was able to learn just how important a good holster and presentation is without hurting myself or anyone else. Know your equipment like the back of your hand!

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    DO NOT carry a 1911 at half ****. Half **** is only there in case your thumb slips while lowering the hammer, which you shouldn't be doing anyway! It only builds bad habits. Do it right the first time...
    If you're worried about it for the first few day leave the chamber empty and carry cocked and locked. If when you get home the hammer is down, you know you would have lost a body part... and figure out what you did wrong!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    DO NOT carry a 1911 at half ****. Half **** is only there in case your thumb slips while lowering the hammer, which you shouldn't be doing anyway! It only builds bad habits. Do it right the first time...
    If you're worried about it for the first few day leave the chamber empty and carry cocked and locked. If when you get home the hammer is down, you know you would have lost a body part... and figure out what you did wrong!

This.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I attended Gordon's class at Bass Pro last Saturday and it was really cool and informative. Hopefully the rest of the process will not take too long. There were those there who had problems hitting the black on the target and it was maybe 15' away!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    6 Weeks give or take, I know Sergeant Reavis was out all last week and came back the 23rd I believe so I would imagine no less than 4 weeks IF everything is complete and they have no questions.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Thanks for the info. As far as everything goes, the only thing that might be a problem is I had to get a doctor's letter and form filled out because I had been prescribed something for anxiety. The form the doc filled out said that there are no issues so I do not know if it is going to be a problem with getting the permit or not.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Thanks for the info. As far as everything goes, the only thing that might be a problem is I had to get a doctor's letter and form filled out because I had been prescribed something for anxiety. The form the doc filled out said that there are no issues so I do not know if it is going to be a problem with getting the permit or not.

It shouldnt be if its cleared by a doctor, if State Police needs more information or has a question they will contact you via regular mail.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Just so you know what to look out for, here is what the envelope looks like:

IMG_20100901_082530.jpg

It is a 4 1/2 inch by 6 1/2 inch envelope.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It depends on what u want, brand and material, leather, kydex, iwb, owb

Pm lsp he had recomended a local holster maker for kydex, for leather I recomend Nick Mathews he's in Texas and takes 10 days to get a holster from him

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom