question for computer guys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    I have an older 80 gig IDE hard drive that I would like to use as an external drive connected through usb with my desktop computer. The problem is is that it's 4" wide and all I can find are external cases for 3.5". Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Patrick (Grandpa23)

dhoppe1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Cable

You can run that drive with a simple cable and no enclosure. They sell cables to convert IDE, SCSI, SATA etc to USB. Here is a link to one that newegg sells. This is just a example, read the reviews on this type device and order what would work for you. I bought one of this type, it comes in handy when you want to use drives that have no home or if a pc has died to get the data off. They are cheap too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...97009&cm_re=usb_to_ide-_-12-197-009-_-Product

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    You can run that drive with a simple cable and no enclosure. They sell cables to convert IDE, SCSI, SATA etc to USB. Here is a link to one that newegg sells. This is just a example, read the reviews on this type device and order what would work for you. I bought one of this type, it comes in handy when you want to use drives that have no home or if a pc has died to get the data off. They are cheap too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...97009&cm_re=usb_to_ide-_-12-197-009-_-Product

I think that may be exactly what I need. Thanks!!!

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    put it in some tupperware!! :mamoru: NO, really......I've already put two of these together for a project I was working on a few years ago.

niwcrzbsk5u1xvs7n9mt.jpg

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA

Just ordered one VERY similar from ebay for $14.50 with free shipping! :D

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I have an adapter similar to that that I use by Rosewill that works using USB 2.0 and will work with IDE, SATA, and mini IDE (laptop drives) and it is fantastic! Comes with 2 rubber "drive condoms", one for a standard 3.5 IDE/SATA and one for a laptop drive. I got mine from Egghead for < $20 and it allows me to hot-swap drives with my laptop. So far the biggest drive I have tested it with was a 1tb drive and it worked great with no issues!

Top Bottom