Question for Glock experts.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    was Monroe LA, now Kingston WA
    I got two replacement guide rod assemblies from glock, both stick out of the slide about .050" too much. The one I am replacing does not stick out like this. whats the deal??? is this a glock thing? are their parts that out of spec? lack of quality control??? or did they accidentally send me the wrong part two different times?

I am concerned about the end of the guide rod getting snagged or smashed on something when carrying.

This is my first glock, so I am new to the plastic gun thing.....
    GetAttachment.aspx

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I got two replacement guide rod assemblies from glock, both stick out of the slide about .050" too much. The one I am replacing does not stick out like this. whats the deal??? is this a glock thing? are their parts that out of spec? lack of quality control??? or did they accidentally send me the wrong part two different times?

I am concerned about the end of the guide rod getting snagged or smashed on something when carrying.

This is my first glock, so I am new to the plastic gun thing.....
    GetAttachment.aspx

Mine sticks out of the slide 5 hundredths, it's not enough to worry about. I think it probably is considered extra in case the guide rod head gets worn down on the chamber hook.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    There are a number of replacement guide rods out there that are not factory, but come with the factory spring so you don't have to worry about messing with the function. Stainless, tungsten, titanium-- they run the gamut and are not terribly expensive. It's been so long, I don't remember where my titanium one came from, but I certainly do like it. Adds a tiny bit of weight, allegedly helping in muzzle jump-- more than anything, it's not plastic.

You can also order them with different springs to match your shooting cadence, chosen load, etc. I never really got into playing with it as the factory settings never stovepiped, FTF'd or FTE'd anything I fed it. On the flip side, the "wear and tear" you might save your gun with a heavier spring isn't a concern for me due to all of the stress testing reports I've read about my particular model. I'm sure the smaller frame pistols or even different caliber models might benefit from changing the stock springs, but I trust the G22 stock settings.

Last edited:

GunOneDown

Glock-O-Holic
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    "Da Kill"
    I don't think there should be any concern. My question is, why did you need another guide rod. I have Glocks with Thousands of rounds through them and haven't needed a new one yet. Word on the street though is, OEM guide rods are the best as compared to aftermarket rods unless you really need a different weight spring. .02

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I don't think there should be any concern. My question is, why did you need another guide rod. I have Glocks with Thousands of rounds through them and haven't needed a new one yet. Word on the street though is, OEM guide rods are the best as compared to aftermarket rods unless you really need a different weight spring. .02

I disagree with Word On The Street.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I've put cases upon cases downrange with the factory recoil set up, and there have been hundreds of millions if not billions of rounds fired out of stock Glocks with that set up...

Nothing wrong with the quality aftermarket parts, but nothing wrong with the factory set up, either.

Nothing wrong with OEM parts but my mechanical experience tells me stainless steel is superior to plastic in this application.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I examined a Gen4 G22 yesterday. It was... enlightening.

There are three- count 'em, THREE- separate springs in the new recoil spring/guide rod arrangement.

I guess that is the solution to the G22 frame-flex problem when its used with mounted lights. You know... the one they say doesn't exist? :D

Glock Perfection being changed? These changes should be a move in the right direction. The short frame and new magazine release will be a help to my short fingers.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    +1 to the OEM rods and springs, put a few thousand rounds through my G22 which came to me from an LEO that went through his training and qualification with it.

I just upgraded because I felt like buying something that day and I love titanium. Haha.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What are the symtoms of frame flex with G22 using lights? I've put about 3K or so rounds through mine with a TLR1 light on it. Only problems have been shooter induced as in FTF when off hand shooting. I fixed myself and the problem went away. This is the new glock with the really rough grip.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    What are the symtoms of frame flex with G22 using lights? I've put about 3K or so rounds through mine with a TLR1 light on it. Only problems have been shooter induced as in FTF when off hand shooting. I fixed myself and the problem went away. This is the new glock with the really rough grip.

The newer Glocks such as your G22 RTF2 should be good to go.

Last edited:

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hmm, I've never shot a 9mm Glock but Latour promised to bring his 34 to the range tomorrow so we'll see. I definitely don't like the recoil of the 40 the more and more I shoot it. Its not that it is terrible, just never comfortable. But the ammo and gun are free so I continue to punish my hand.

I wonder if the new spring/rod system will be compatable with the old Glocks or not.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Hmm, I've never shot a 9mm Glock but Latour promised to bring his 34 to the range tomorrow so we'll see. I definitely don't like the recoil of the 40 the more and more I shoot it. Its not that it is terrible, just never comfortable. But the ammo and gun are free so I continue to punish my hand.

I wonder if the new spring/rod system will be compatable with the old Glocks or not.

No they work in Gen. 4 only because of changes to receiver, recoil assembly, barrel and slide.

eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    was Monroe LA, now Kingston WA
    My question is, why did you need another guide rod. I have Glocks with Thousands of rounds through them and haven't needed a new one yet.

The original one broke. The metal spring seat, that sits on the hook on the barrel, popped out and will not stay in the rod with the springs seated.

I don't want an aftermarket guide rod. I'd like to keep my OE, but I don't like it sticking out.....

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The original one broke. The metal spring seat, that sits on the hook on the barrel, popped out and will not stay in the rod with the springs seated.

I don't want an aftermarket guide rod. I'd like to keep my OE, but I don't like it sticking out.....

I have seen a few OEM guide rods break, I have never seen a stainless steel guide rod break.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I've had a tungsten one break... 10,000 rounds or so.

Have yet to break an OEM :p

Tungsten is brittle and known to break where the plastic is flexible. I prefer stainless steel or heavy brass to OEM or Tungsten. I saw a new unfired G34 out of the box and unfired with a broken guide rod which I replaced for the owner and Glock sent me a new one at no charge.

Top Bottom