Question for LEOs in Livingston Parish from a non-LEO:

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Denham Springs. LA
    Relatively new to bayoushooter.com, so I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed recently.
    I am wondering what the law in Livingston Parish is concerning the discharge of small caliber firearms on residential property.
    I live outside the city limits and am surrounded by responsible gun owners. It is not uncommon to hear gunfire in my area.
    It's no problem at all, as they are safety conscious, responsible people and never cause a problem.
    Just target practicing and shooting the ocassional varmint I reckon.
    The possum population around here has exploded recently and they are becoming quite a nuisance, especially like when they get under your house, take up residence and start having a bunch of offspring.
    I was considering getting a pellet gun to cull their numbers. However, a friend of mine told me that in Livingston Parish it is not legal to even
    shoot a pellet gun within 500 feet of a residence. He said this pertained to all calibers.
    Could someone please clarify this for me?
    Don't really see how a law like that would make much since, especially here in the Sportsman's Paradise.
    Plus, if a small caliber projectile like a pellet or a .22 round can travel well over a mile, what difference does 500 feet make?
    To me, it seems like the direction that you are firing the weapon should be more important than one's proximity to a residence.
    What if someone had a safely constructed range with the size and capability to stop any caliber, and it was located near their home. I mean,
    if nobody is being placed in harms way what's the problem?
    Let's say it was
    backed up by thick forest and vegetation, perhaps an uninhabited swampy area that also belonged to them.
    How on earth could that be illegal?
    I hope somebody can help me out on this one.
    Couldn't find anything on the web that really addressed this topic. I'm sure if I googled "Honey Boo Boo" I would have
    Gotten a million hits.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED. I APPRECIATE THE HELP.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I have an idea, call the sheriffs office and ask. Although most on this forum seem to know what the law is, when the deputy shows up at your house if you say "somebody on BAYOUSHOOTER said I could" might not be an acceptable answer.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    See section C.

Sec. 11-3. - Hunting or discharge of firearms on roads or highways.
    hyperlink.png

(a)
    Hunting or the discharge of firearms on roads or highways is hereby prohibited, except by law enforcement officers in performance of their official duties.
    (b)
    The illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities is the intentional, criminally negligent, discharging of any firearm, or the throwing, placing or other use of any article, liquid, or substance, where it is foreseeable that it may result in death or great bodily harm to humans.
    (c)
    If the use or discharge of the weapons is within one hundred (100) feet of any parish road, state or public road, or within five hundred (500) feet of any residence, it is presumptive evidence of foreseeable death or that great bodily harm exists.
    (d)
    Whoever shall violate this section shall be fined no more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), or imprisoned for not more than thirty (30) days, or both.
    (Ord. of 10-9-84)​

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have an idea, call the sheriffs office and ask. Although most on this forum seem to know what the law is, when the deputy shows up at your house if you say "somebody on BAYOUSHOOTER said I could" might not be an acceptable answer.

He was given the correct answer in the first reply but if you want to call someone in Livingston Parish call the Parish Council who enact the Ordinances as ALL LEO do not know ALL LAWS.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    The key word here is Firearm. An air rifle is not a firearm by definition. Get a copy of the parish ordinance and see how it written up. Don't go by what someone says. An air rifle/ pellet gun could be defined as a weapon. You have to find out if they are included in the definition
    As silly as it may seem, when it come to legal/illegal, it's all about the wording.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I posted the parish ordinance, as written, above.

I was going to launch into a long diatribe but decided it just isn't worth it.

Correct.

Sec. 11-3. - Hunting, discharge of firearms on roads or highways.permanent link to this piece of content

(a)

Hunting or the discharge of firearms on roads or highways is hereby prohibited, except by law enforcement officers in performance of their official duties.

(b)

The illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities is the intentional, criminally negligent, discharging of any firearm, or the throwing, placing or other use of any article, liquid, or substance, where it is foreseeable that it may result in death or great bodily harm to humans.

(c)

If the use or discharge of the weapons is within one hundred (100) feet of any parish road, state or public road, or within five hundred (500) feet of any residence, it is presumptive evidence of foreseeable death or that great bodily harm exists.

(d)

Whoever shall violate this section shall be fined no more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), or imprisoned for not more than thirty (30) days, or both.

(Ord. of 10-9-84)

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Plain and simple, it all boils down to what type of neighbors you have.

If your neighbors are aware of the nuisance animal issue and are aware that you are attempting to eradicate the issue with the pellet gun, you're not going to have any issues.

Now, if you have neighbors that believe you are using your pellet rifle in a reckless manner or to "cull the numbers" of pets in the neighborhood, they're going to call the law, thats when you're going to have an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom