Question/Opinion: Hi Point .45 ACP Semi Auto Pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Is it right to assume that this gun has issues since the price is dirt cheap? (about $135 on gunbroker)

I don't have a .45. If it isn't a turd I think I'll get one just to have one but some guns are worth not having.
    Opinions on this one are welcome.

thanks

Danny

kbrview

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Alexandria, LA.
    I'm sure something will happen when you pull the trigger with a loaded chamber, but I wouldn't trust my life with it. Depends on what you are wanting it for I suppose.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    They usually work. But they look like what happens when a soldier gun has a child with a stapler. It's costing $135. Why do you think that it is?

Dave

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    They usually work. But they look like what happens when a soldier gun has a child with a stapler. It's costing $135. Why do you think that it is?

Dave

Well, truth is that the mosin nagant rifles are cheap as hell and I bought 2 of them for 105 each that are extremely accurate and dependable. There might be a reason other then crappiness...... I try not to judge anyone other then liberals. :-)

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well, truth is that the mosin nagant rifles are cheap as hell and I bought 2 of them for 105 each that are extremely accurate and dependable.

I own many milsurps. The truth is, wait for it, Nagant's even in the milsurp world are cheap. Even for milsurp triggers of the era they have terrible triggers. But they work and are accurate enough to get the job done. Go buy a K31. It's also relatively cheap and is a much better rifle. For a little more try a 1903A3 or an Arisaka they are both more modern designs than the Nagant and have better triggers..

My point here is that all milsurps are cheap and they are not comparable with modern, new, made handguns.

High Points are: reasonably reliable, accurate enough, not built to last, disposable handguns. Buy one if you want if you don't shoot it very often it work well enough for you.

Dave

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    assuming you could find ammo for the ariska. Nothing wrong with the Nagant. Plenty of good surplus guns out there. Or a good brand used gun. Or a keltec. But stay away from the hipoint pistol. OTOH, I've heard good things about their carbine.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Buy it, Shoot it. When it fails return it for the lifetime warranty. I'd love to find a $200 S&W. people still think they are made of gold just like most of the guns on here.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Buy it, Shoot it. When it fails return it for the lifetime warranty. I'd love to find a $200 S&W. people still think they are made of gold just like most of the guns on here.

$160 for a model 38 this past summer...

Model 10's for under $200 etc...

Many model $36's for under $250...

It happens, I've seen several last couple years...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If he wants a .45, I'm pretty sure he'll need to forget about a Sigma. :o

OP, most tend to look at the Hi Point as something to avoid- and I'm no different. There are better options from other brands such as Ruger, for instance....Spend a little more cash and get something that you can trust your life with.

Just my .02....

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge

No kidding. Let's have an AR versus AK debate after this.

Hi-Point firearms are the best cheap firearm. They cost about the same as a Jennings, Bryco, Raven, Jimenez, etc but are of much higher quality. Their customer service is fantastic (call sometime, they're super friendly Mid-Westerners) and they have a lifetime warranty that is transferable. I would not recommend buying a used one though unless you know the history of it since it was new. People tend to treat guns with a level of care commensurate with the price. I call that my Oakley sunglasses theory. If you pay a lot for something you're going to take better care of it and think more highly of it. I've gotten most of my HP handguns at gun shows since the shipping and transfer cost of ordering them online negates any savings. I'd recommend getting one and then shooting 500 rounds of brass cased FMJ through it. This will break it in and show if there are any major problems with it. I recommend that for any new gun, not just Hi-Point. I wouldn't hesitate to get one again and have no problem recommending one.

There's an entertaining series of videos on YouTube showing a "test" of a HP pistol where they thrash the crap out of one. It took a lot of abuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Here's a review of a HP carbine which even the haters tend to agree are good guns.

http://www.gunblast.com/HiPoint-9mmCarbine.htm

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    You seem to be the exception, or I am just way unlucky.

I LOOK... I mean REALLY look.

I hardly pass a Pawn shop without stopping.

Law of averages.

LSP: I ment a Used Revolver, but I'd get the SIGMA over the hipoint methinks.

As to a used Hi Point... it's what I would buy... (CHEAP)

If it's broken... they WILL fix it. No matter what.

Just won't help you if you NEED it in that time.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    OP, most tend to look at the Hi Point as something to avoid- and I'm no different. There are better options from other brands such as Ruger, for instance....Spend a little more cash and get something that you can trust your life with.

I'm in agreement with this, if you're going to depend on it, get something that will run better. If you just want something to shoot 45, go ahead and get it, if you dont like it, sell it for 100 bucks, and you basically paid to rent a gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom