Question regarding another post on this

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucky54

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette
    The following quote was posted by TDH from handgun and rifle break in procedures post.

I have one handgun that requires the recoil spring to be replaced every 200 rounds.

My question is this:

What is the average lifespan of recoil springs for most handguns? The reason I ask is that 200 rounds does not seem like it that is a very long time. But I have NO knowledge of this type of weapon or recoil springs in general so maybe it is a good quality. And was wondering how long I had till I had to replace mine.

Thanks

PS: TDH I am NOT knocking your gun in the least just trying to learn things here about handguns in general.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    1000? 1500? I've had springs last much longer than that even.

Maybe there are some handguns that need spring replacement after 200 rounds, but none of mine. I'd sell that gun!

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I agree with the OP... it seems odd to me that someone would be replacing springs after such a short time.

I would imagine that my Kel-tec .380 is the most suspect of my handguns for this type of wear/tear, especially considering the .380 is pretty "hot" for a 6oz gun. But my fullsize guns, I wont worry about them until they break.

Now, I do know of replacement springs that come with guide-rod lasers wearing out quickly, but that's a different issue.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    On my competition Glocks I change the IMSI springs (13#) every 6,000 rounds, whether they need it or not ;)

Here's some useful info from my maintenance schedule, all gathered from sources I consider reliable, FWIW.

IMSI recoil springs:
    The recoil spring should be changed, at the latest, when it has lost 0.500” of free length from new.
    At this point, the spring has suffered a considerable reduction in load exerted at installed (when the gun is in battery).
    With an ISMI spring, practice routine maintenance and change it once a year or every 5-10K rds as a preventative measure.

For stock Glock recoil springs: Change every 15K -25K rounds as a preventative measure [every 5,000 rds. For G27]

Another guideline for recoil springs in general: whenever it's three coils shorter than the brand-new spring.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I have several thousand rounds through each of my glocks and not a single thing has had to be replace, period.

I also have a 9mm from WWII with about 70 years and +-1000 rds through it and its all original.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    As LSP posted it's a Rohrbaugh 9mm. It is the size of a Kel-Tec 380 and the recoil spring takes a beating. The manufacturer recommend changing it every 100 rounds until the last redesign which they now recommend every 200.

It's a phenomenal little gun and I can fit it in a pocket with no issues. It makes a Glock 26 look huge.

To each his own.

r9s-1.jpg
    r9s-2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom