Question regarding ccw permit and arrests.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerC

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Orleans
    Howdy everyone. I've had a handgun carry permit from my home state of Tennessee for 7 years now. It's approaching expiration and I've decided to stay in Louisiana and get a CCW permit here.

The application states all arrests must be listed in detail with minute reports and I'm worried this may cause an issue. Please reserve judgment but I've been arrested twice here. The first was a weed possession charge for which I completed a diversion course. The second time was aggravated assault with a firearm which was dropped to simple assault. I was given probation which has long since been completed. They also made me surrender the pistol they took from my locked truck after the arrest.

My question is will these arrests get my application denied? I don't want to invest the time and funds just to be told I can't get it. I researched before posting and the only thing I've seen referenced are denials for DUIs and domestic violence, but I figured someone here might be able to clarify. Thanks

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Howdy everyone. I've had a handgun carry permit from my home state of Tennessee for 7 years now. It's approaching expiration and I've decided to stay in Louisiana and get a CCW permit here.

The application states all arrests must be listed in detail with minute reports and I'm worried this may cause an issue. Please reserve judgment but I've been arrested twice here. The first was a weed possession charge for which I completed a diversion course. The second time was aggravated assault with a firearm which was dropped to simple assault. I was given probation which has long since been completed. They also made me surrender the pistol they took from my locked truck after the arrest.

My question is will these arrests get my application denied? I don't want to invest the time and funds just to be told I can't get it. I researched before posting and the only thing I've seen referenced are denials for DUIs and domestic violence, but I figured someone here might be able to clarify. Thanks

Lol, the agg assault with a firearm is quite ironic isn't it? I would hope this is one of the things that gets permits denied, otherwise why even do a background check.

TylerC

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Orleans
    I don't find it ironic at all actually, note that I wasn't found guilty of the charge. Like I said originally, I'm not seeking judgment, just advice from someone that ACTUALLY knows the answer to my question.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Charged and convicted are two separate things of course. I don't know how it will go, but I assume that's why they ask for the disposition.

Let us know how it goes, I cant speculate or help.

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    The Laws are crazy. I've come across to many "official" people that should have known certain laws backwards and forwards and didn't. I absolutely wouldn't take anyone's word for it here.
    Best bet is to call like he ^^^ mentioned.
    Good Luck !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I have no input as what causes denials or approvals. Not real sure those in the permits office have hard rules.

However I know one man that did time for Neg Homicide and got a permit. I have a relative that was denied for a sexual offense in which he was 18 and was friendly in a consensual way with a 17 yr old girl. Her parents filed and he was arrested. No jail time but had to register as an offender for 15 yrs. Over 20 yrs later, he cannot own a firearm or get a permit.

Why does one have a major offense get a permit and another is slapped on the wrist and denied?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Mike simenoux just went to jail for lie on a concealed carry app and a lic plate app.. I wouldn't try it, if they don't catch you now, they will catch you later, and if you lie about it you gotta remember the lie, and always build on it with other lies, gets to confusing!!! I would submit everything I could

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I am having to get a disposition for a Criminal Mischief charge from 1973 for my CHL. PITA, but it is on my background check, and I have to take care of it before they will issue. Funny thing, Secret Service didn't mention it, but the CHL people did.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have no input as what causes denials or approvals. Not real sure those in the permits office have hard rules.

However I know one man that did time for Neg Homicide and got a permit. I have a relative that was denied for a sexual offense in which he was 18 and was friendly in a consensual way with a 17 yr old girl. Her parents filed and he was arrested. No jail time but had to register as an offender for 15 yrs. Over 20 yrs later, he cannot own a firearm or get a permit.

Why does one have a major offense get a permit and another is slapped on the wrist and denied?

Because at least in southern Louisiana, it truly depends on who you are, who you know, and what influence you have. Just the way it works. Application and enforcement of the law IS NOT always fair and equal as it was intended.

How does the guy with the neg homocide conviction even own a firearm period? Convicted felons = no firearm ownership period. Unless his conviction was overturned, or he was granted a full pardon.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I am having to get a disposition for a Criminal Mischief charge from 1973 for my CHL. PITA, but it is on my background check, and I have to take care of it before they will issue. Funny thing, Secret Service didn't mention it, but the CHL people did.

Because the Secret Service has the ability and tools to look into themselves. They most likely didn't say anything because they vetted you themselves.

I have mixed opinions on the requirements for the CCL. I like to know sane people are able to get one, but if you can buy a gun, you're not "sane enough" to carry it???

Someone who isn't in jail, not a convicted felon, and can legally buy a gun shouldn't need to yet again prove their innocence to practice a right. Just how it rubs me, there may be far more to the story than what I can see.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Because the Secret Service has the ability and tools to look into themselves. They most likely didn't say anything because they vetted you themselves.

I have mixed opinions on the requirements for the CCL. I like to know sane people are able to get one, but if you can buy a gun, you're not "sane enough" to carry it???

Someone who isn't in jail, not a convicted felon, and can legally buy a gun shouldn't need to yet again prove their innocence to practice a right. Just how it rubs me, there may be far more to the story than what I can see.

Don't discount that all of these inconsistencies in interpretation and/or enforcement of various firearm laws are purposefully being orchestrated from the feds; who get their marching orders from the Justice Dept.; who gets their marching orders from the Dumbass!!

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.

And may I go you one further, MTregre; not only have to prove their INNOCENCE to practice a right, but also have to PAY money to practice what is supposed to be a "right". :mad: Sorry, seems all my posts lately are a bit of a rant.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    And may I go you one further, MTregre; not only have to prove their INNOCENCE to practice a right, but also have to PAY money to practice what is supposed to be a "right". :mad: Sorry, seems all my posts lately are a bit of a rant.

I see what your saying, let me play devils advocate - the fee is for the 'service' they provide you by "vetting" your neighbor and push your paper. Not to mention the printing of the "proof" they vetted you.
    I mean, tech, we can say the simple fact sales taxes are applied to firearms and ammunition amount to paying for your right...

I say this while still on the bench about whether I favor or disfavor constitutional CC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom