question reguarding motorcycle/scooter laws.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I guess it depends on what you define as a "scooter". There are models being sold by Honda & Yamaha that can be licensed and are street legal. Yamaha sells scooters from 50cc to 500cc.
    I see them on the road all the time.

images

Turbodog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Tangipahoa parish
    If you are found operating a scooter on a public roadway or the shoulder of a public roadway, you will be ticketed.
    http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/other-types.php#Scooters

This is nonsense. Properly equipped scooters, such as those made by Piaggio, are legal to operate on the road in Louisiana.
    I've had these show up in our motorcycle classes and they are street legal.

Turbodog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Tangipahoa parish
    Me and a friend went for a ride on the scoots yesterday, We got pulled over by officer Joykill for riding side by side. the cop said it is against the law to do so. is there really a law saying you cannot do this?

No it is not against the law. One or two replies already pointed out the relevant ordinance.

I have read that it is not a good idea too in case you have to swerve, but with two experienced riders and very minimal traffic riding at night would rather ride side by side to make us look like a car to other traffic than a single headlight that someone might not see.

While it's one thing to do this by day, it's another to do it at night. Yeah, reasons not to do it it include the necessity of one or both having to make a rapid course adjustment. This is even more important at night with reduced visibility.

i started looking on the dmv site and noticed that is against the law to ride scooters on louisiana roads period but it is ok to ride a moped which i find is less safe. Anyone have anymore input or knowledge on this or on 50cc and under bikes.

There are street legal scooters as small as 50cc but anything that small needs to restrict their operation to places like city streets, not highways. Their just too small a target.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I'm talking about something like this.

16" tires and 60+ mph capability.

Really intend to use it when we are camping to joy ride.

Intend to get it registered, licensed and insured.

orange_45_2_.jpg

black_rightside_1_.jpg

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Looks like no headlight, tail/brake light, blinkers, or mirrors, so I would say not street legal.
    Add those components and you should be able to register it and be legal.

(Just my opinion and it may be wrong)

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    Yea your wrong I have everything but a mirror only because it broke strapping it in a truck. I know that's no excuse but I have two headlights led brake lights with built in signals.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    After looking closer at your picture I can make out the headlight and front blinker but still can't see the back lights, but if they are there then you should just need the mirrors and to get it registered.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom