Question - what would you do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yesterday evening about 9 pm I was traveling east on 1-12. Had cruise set on 72. All of a sudden a motorcycle comes up on my rear bumper. I changed lines and the motorcycle sped by me. It was accelerating quickly up to 80 plus mph. To my suprise it was a BRPD officer. Clearly he was t heading to a call as he crossed into Livingston Parish. He turned left in 16 heading north. He was going in the same direction as I was. On Hwy 16 through Denham he was greatly exceeding the speed limit. Not by 5-10 mph but probably 20 mph above posted limits and changing lanes rapidly. I continued until he turned into what I guess was his subdivision. The question is, what would you do? I thought to get next to him at a stop light and tell him what a great example he was demonstratin. The lawman not obeying the law. I am confident that I have every right to address him but dont know about recourse from doing so. I’m sure he could run my plate to know my home address.

Before you say it, I can assure you that I am not a Pu**y. How do lawmen get held accountable? If you call their office I’m sure the comment will get circle filed.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Maybe he had to use the bathroom really bad and was just trying to get home before he soiled his pants. Maybe he had a family emergency at home..or maybe he’s just abusing his power. Probably not worth pi$$ing in your corn flakes when it wouldn’t make a difference either way. I bet that dirtbag wasn’t wearing his seatbelt either!

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    File a formal complaint in writing if possible straight to the chief and possible to the head of the motorcycle division...... Unless he was on a dispatched call once he crossed the Amite River east bound on I-12 his authority did not exist... Even if he was running Code status (lights and sirens and speeding over the posted limit) he would have to be "IN HOT PURSUIT" with radio traffic to document this event.. .. First responders are allowed to speed under certain conditions but they MUST Drive WITH DUE REGUARD TO SURRONDING TRAFFIC. Even if he was still inside the city limits of baton rouge...... If you have some more identifing info such as to possible subdivision that he turned into make sure that you inclued that also ....... .. Personally would not approach this officer in person for multible reasons ..... As a former LEO (Denham Springs) this is what I would do. ............. If he had a bathroom emergency there were several locations that could have been use to relieve the issue. ..... Now do not get me wrong about bashinrg the police,,..Am very pro police when the follow the law......... But cannot stand for all of the brainwashed "boot lickers in this day and time"............................ drill sgt.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yesterday evening about 9 pm I was traveling east on 1-12. Had cruise set on 72. All of a sudden a motorcycle comes up on my rear bumper. I changed lines and the motorcycle sped by me. It was accelerating quickly up to 80 plus mph. To my suprise it was a BRPD officer. Clearly he was t heading to a call as he crossed into Livingston Parish. He turned left in 16 heading north. He was going in the same direction as I was. On Hwy 16 through Denham he was greatly exceeding the speed limit. Not by 5-10 mph but probably 20 mph above posted limits and changing lanes rapidly. I continued until he turned into what I guess was his subdivision. The question is, what would you do? I thought to get next to him at a stop light and tell him what a great example he was demonstratin. The lawman not obeying the law. I am confident that I have every right to address him but dont know about recourse from doing so. I’m sure he could run my plate to know my home address.

Before you say it, I can assure you that I am not a Pu**y. How do lawmen get held accountable? If you call their office I’m sure the comment will get circle filed.
    Yeah, let him know next time you will yank his ass off that bike and give him a good flogging with his boot and get it all dirty and call him a bad name, Have you're go-pro running and aimed his way please!
    We want to see how well that works out and you may collect enough for a new Harley?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana

I'm guessing you would be the same one on here asking how to file a complaint when the cops took too long to get to your house for your burglar alarm.

You have no problem posting that you break the law, but the cops shouldnt be. Ok.

There is always the option to just mind your own business, and leave people alone until it directly impacts you.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    File a formal complaint in writing if possible straight to the chief and possible to the head of the motorcycle division...... Unless he was on a dispatched call once he crossed the Amite River east bound on I-12 his authority did not exist... Even if he was running Code status (lights and sirens and speeding over the posted limit) he would have to be "IN HOT PURSUIT" with radio traffic to document this event.. .. First responders are allowed to speed under certain conditions but they MUST Drive WITH DUE REGUARD TO SURRONDING TRAFFIC. Even if he was still inside the city limits of baton rouge...... If you have some more identifing info such as to possible subdivision that he turned into make sure that you inclued that also ....... .. Personally would not approach this officer in person for multible reasons ..... As a former LEO (Denham Springs) this is what I would do. ............. If he had a bathroom emergency there were several locations that could have been use to relieve the issue. .................................. drill sgt.
    I'll bet you were fun to work with.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    AdvancedLaser, you do not make any sense…..

I'm guessing you would be the same one on here asking how to file a complaint when the cops took too long to get to your house for your burglar alarm.

How in the hell is this related to my post?

You have no problem posting that you break the law, but the cops shouldnt be. Ok.

Yea I was a bit above 70

There is always the option to just mind your own business, and leave people alone until it directly impacts you.

It is damn sure my business when someone that is supposed to be a lawman has no regard for the law. He is a poor example for those in law enforcement.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Let me make sure I understand the question. You were exceeding the maximum speed limit on I-12 heading toward Livingston Parish (L.A. RS 32:61). A motorcycle came up behind you and you had room to move out of his way (L.A. RS 32:71). You managed to keep up with him for miles despite his exceeding the speed limit by probably 20 mph. It's about 4 miles from the interstate to get through Denham Springs and we don't know how far past Denham Springs he turned left. And you would like to know how to hold someone accountable for their actions?

A couple points of observation here. You have no issues posting that you were exceeding the posted speed limit. In fact, setting your cruise control to a speed above the maximum speed limit suggests either that you believe the laws shouldn't apply to you or that breaking the law to some degree is acceptable. I suspect it's the latter based on your statement that the cop's driving was probably 20 mph over rather than just 5-10 mph, even though 1 mph over the speed limit is speeding. How much speeding is ok?

But didn't you make it everyone's business when you posted the question to a public message board?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    AdvancedLaser, you do not make any sense…..

How in the hell is this related to my post?

Yea I was a bit above 70

It is damn sure my business when someone that is supposed to be a lawman has no regard for the law. He is a poor example for those in law enforcement.
    It is directly related. Generally the "I'd like to speak to the Manager" types are also unsatisfied when the situation is reversed.

So speeding is ok when you do it, but not anyone else. I guess since we are here, I have to ask....If he was speeding at these complaint worthy speeds for so long and so far...How do you know ? So you were doing the same speeds to follow him ? Thats ok ?

If its your business, go to a Police academy, then get into Internal Affairs so you can catch cops all day. Much easier to actually do something about it than soliciting advice on the internet.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Let me make sure I understand the question. You were exceeding the maximum speed limit on I-12 heading toward Livingston Parish (L.A. RS 32:61). A motorcycle came up behind you and you had room to move out of his way (L.A. RS 32:71). You managed to keep up with him for miles despite his exceeding the speed limit by probably 20 mph. It's about 4 miles from the interstate to get through Denham Springs and we don't know how far past Denham Springs he turned left. And you would like to know how to hold someone accountable for their actions?

A couple points of observation here. You have no issues posting that you were exceeding the posted speed limit. In fact, setting your cruise control to a speed above the maximum speed limit suggests either that you believe the laws shouldn't apply to you or that breaking the law to some degree is acceptable. I suspect it's the latter based on your statement that the cop's driving was probably 20 mph over rather than just 5-10 mph, even though 1 mph over the speed limit is speeding. How much speeding is ok?

But didn't you make it everyone's business when you posted the question to a public message board?
    Dammit, why do you always say stuff better than me @thperez1972
    (I was typing my diatribe when I saw a new message alert pop up)

Yeah, this.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Anyone who does policing from a motorcycle and writes seatbelt tickets in my book has daddy or mommy issues…or even worse. Lol
    They are more for writing crashes. Next time you get in one, and a Motors guy shows up to write it, will you please video you telling him that and post it. Prove you aren't a keyboard commando. I'd like it. :bravo:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    To USMC-NAV, if this really pissed you off get a good dash cam. If this happens again You’ll have video you can post with license number of bike & you can post it wherever you think best.
    If you report it & are worried about repercussions you could get this bumper sticker.
    1332C403-5A70-4E7E-B0CD-53E98736E1DF.jpeg

Top Bottom