Questions about hunting scopes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I am a little embarrased to admit that before now I always used a "decent" cheap scope for my rifles. By "decent" I mean - I didn't know any better and purchased a Bushnell or a BSA.:wtc: Last season I happened to have a nice sized buck in my scope and as I settled in to take the shot I -- exhaled. I couldn't see a damn thing for about a minute while I waited for my glass to defog. During this time I watched my dinner slowly walk away none the wiser until I let a stream of cuss words out when I figured I wouldn't be eating fresh backstrap that night. I decided this year to buy a little better scope. I don't have the funds to go Swarvoski or Zeiss, but I had my heart set on a Leuopold VX II. A buddy of mine swears by Nikon. He claims that a Buckmaster Scope is just as good if not better than VX II. What is the general consensus out there? I am interested if it is as good with a better price tag, but I am also slowly coming to realize that you get what you pay for. So... let the debate begin! Also this is going on a Howa 1500 7mm 08. I will probably never get a shot over 300 yds.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 (~$150) on my .308 and I love it. Granted it is my first "nice-ish" scope, I'm glad I picked it. I don't have any experience with Leuopold optics but I've heard/read that unless you are springing for a higher end Lupy you'd be better off getting a Redfield since they're priced lower and are basically the same quality as lower end Lupy's. Maybe someone with more knowledge on here can tell if that's true...

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I strictly bowhunt unless I am in Wisconsin in the dead of winter and it's too cold to pull my bow, but I have a Burris on my hunting rifle now and used to have a Nikon Buckmaster. My friends all swear by Leupold. Of the three I prefer the Nikon. Brighter longer and just seems crisper to me. Of course, exhaling into your scope is going to fog them all... been there done that too. Now I always use full face cover so all I have to worry about is eyeglasses fogging. You can hunt all your life and never learn all the little ways you can screw up. Keeps it addictive.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Of course, exhaling into your scope is going to fog them all... been there done that too. Now I always use full face cover so all I have to worry about is eyeglasses fogging. You can hunt all your life and never learn all the little ways you can screw up. Keeps it addictive.

+1 I've done the same thing into an $2k hunting scope. Sometimes equipment will not replace experience.

For scopes in your price range I have always recommended Leupold. Their CS is top of the line when you do have a problem, but they are great scopes. Sold a lot of the VX-II line this past year and all of the customers were VERY happy with it as an upgrade.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have mostly Nikon scopes but would Not (edit) shy away from a Leupold or Burris if they fit my needs.
    Edit

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have a Nikon pro staff on my tikka .300wsm
    A Swarovski on my a-bolt 7mm-08
    Vortex Viper PST on a .308 tactical bolt gun
    Dad runs a leupold compact on his 7400 .270.

I admit the Swarovski is nice no doubt. (6x36 fixed) but as far as price difference the Nikon is just as good for its purpose.

I also would not hesitate to purchase a vortex or Burris

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Burris is putting out a fantastic product right now. They have really stepped up their game. Another manufacturer to look at would also be Meopta. Famous for OEM manufacturing for some of the really big names in optics, they also build their own stuff. Excellent clarity, contrast, resolution, and low light performance.

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    As mentioned by others, all scopes will fog if you breathe on them. As far as brand, don't judge all of a particular brand merely by their cheapest model. I have Busnell scopes on several of my rifles and really like them. Take a look at their Elite models (formerly Bausch & Lomb). They have chrystal clear optics and strong repeatable adjustments.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really like the leupold VX R line. They are in the 4-500 dollar range but you get 30 mm glass and an illuminated red dot. Weaver also makes some good scopes that are in the 2-300 dollar range.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    +1 for Leupold.

Still made in Beaverton, Oregon- and I have never been disappointed with their products. :)

20111201_Leupold-300x194.jpg

bman940

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Speed, I gave my Father in law that the same set-up. .308 with Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9 BDC reticle. I let my father in law use it last year and he went 4:4 on Kansas deer. This is a big deal for a 75 year old. In the past 3 years he had never done better
    then about 10 rounds per deer. Seriously! I got rid of his old scope, mounted the new one, took him to the range
    and showed him how the BDC reticle works. Amazing! Certainly some practice helped and showing him Spot On
    too. All his shot's were 150-300 yards to not gimme's at all. The PROSTAFF is a very nice scope for a great price.

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    Scopes

I have Luepold VAri x 11 and 111's I also have Nikon Monarchs the last couple of scopes I have bought I went with the zeiss conquest and love them. Cabelas had them on sale awhile back for 299.00. I buy a lot from natchezss.com look at them and see what you can find.

Theo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Houma, La.
    Wide Zoom Range Scope Option!

Todd,

I purchased a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50mm fine duplex #115005 in mid May...Very Nice Scope! I had trouble finding any owner reviews on the net, so I posted "my review" (see below) on about 10 sites for prospective buyers to read.

My On-Line-Reviews
    [ After receiving a fully Custom Ritten Precision .30-06 Rem 700 for Christmas, I've been shopping really nice longer range rifle scope products currently available to compliment my new hunting rifle. I've looked through several high end Schmidt & Bender and other high end scope products, but backed away due to the "price of admission"! I received my rifle with an 8 year old Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 50mm, that although was put through field in-use torture test, still looked new, functioned perfectly and still had great optics. So I continued my research in the Leupold product line of optics.

Now at 59, my eyesight isn't what it use to be. Looking for a longer reach in optics, I discovered the new line of Leupold VX-6 6:1 Zoom 3-18 power scopes! With the latest optical technical developments incorporated into the VX-6 line, along with a wide 6x variable zoom capability, I found the scope to fit my needs well. I delayed my purchase a few months, waiting for some field reviews to appear on the net, but guess it is too new as very few are out there as of my review here. Well, with the satisfaction I previously had with Leupold products, their great industry reputation, the Lifetime Warranty and the Made In The USA label, I made the purchase, literally, sight unseen.

The Leupold #115005 VX-6 3-18 50mm with Fine Duplex Reticle arrived in perfect condition. I choose a professional aluminum rail and mount system from Seekins Precision and bore sighted the scope at 50 yds. With the full 18 power zoom, I can now more accurately setup to 100yd. target. Shooting the re-load ballistics I settled on before, I was able to shoot a 5-round grouping of .242", or 1\4 MOA at 100 yards!! I'll be working up longer range ballistic data to submit to Leupold for my CDS (custom dial system) elevation turret that is a feature of this scope purchase. If I'm going to deer hunt, I want all my kills to be Accurate and Swift.

The 20.4oz scope weight allows me to easily handle my overall rifle assembly. I find the eye relief close to 6"(3 power) and a respectable 4" at full 18 power. Throughout the variable power zoom, the sight image is Very Bright, Clear and Sharp edge to edge. Color renditions are true and accurate as per available light. All control functions (diopter, zoom, turrets) are Tight and Precise. I thought there would be audible clicks to elevation and windage adjustments, but I guess being a hunting scope, they are quiet but positive. The side focus Parallax control works very well and smooth, keeping the reticle plane solid at distance while moving your head around the field of view. During late dusk, towards a large dark silhouetted oak tree with only a dim blue sky background, this Leupold was able to differentiate at 18 power the leaves and branches, details I couldn't see myself. The fine duplex reticle assist in excellent shot placement without being intrusive or detracting in the field of view.

Overall, this isn't an inexpensive scope, but certainly not at the top end optic price points. I feel my research and wait has paid off in a Well Built, High Performance, Competitive Priced Investment that should last me my lifetime in our American Hunting Sport!
    ]

After my net postings above, I have gone to the range with my re-loads and shot exact dope adjustments out to 600yds (200-300-400-500-600), gave to Leupold and have already received my Custom CDS elevation dial. During this long range activity, my 3 - 600yd shots (1st time at over 100yd load work) were..."2" X ring (3" center) and "1" 10 ring (6" center) for an overall 1\2 MOA! Seems my new custom rifle shoots as good as it looks. The Leupold 3-18 6-power Zoom Range is Great and due to the VX-6 Clarity and Sharpness, even I was surprised at it's valuable assistance in making such long range shot accuracy...Deer will never know what him em'!!

Hope the above info helps...

Ted

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    First off; don't be embarrassed by having what you say was cheap scopes. I don't know anyone that had to work for a living, got into hunting at an early age, and bought Leica's and Schmidt benders on their first guns.

I had Tasco's on .22's for Pete's sake! I was still a beast, but what ya gonna do?

I now have Nikon Monarchs and Leupold on my hunting rifle's. They work flawlessly.

Labadie

WFPD
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    BR
    e1.jpg
    Burris E1 great optics and great value Read the reviews for yourself. I have switched to Burris. American company making great products. Yup you can pay more but I now go for value and performance. I have both Zeiss and Leupold scopes and they are great as well but expensive.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Theo- thanks for the review. If I could get by with spending that amount on a scope that would be what I had on my rifle. But I have 2 kids under 5 and my wife would strangle me if I put that much into a scope right now!:D However in my research I noticed that over about the last 3 years Leupolds quality control has taken a dive on the vx2 model and lower. Has anyone on here purchased one of those in the last three years that could verify? The warranty is still great though. I just don't want to chance it. I was also shown the Vortex VH-S. After handling the Leupold, Nikon and the Vortex I believe that I am picking up the Vortex. I also like their warranty policy.

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    For a hunting scope nothing gathers light like Meopta.Under $1000 and gathers light better than many over $3000.I have a 3x12x56 for years now and haven't looked thru any better.For a cheaper scope i like Nikon.At the least try and get a 30mm tube scope.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    No scope 'gathers' light. The allow more light transmission so 96% to maybe 98% for example. None are 100% iirc

30mm tube is generally for more turret adjustment, iirc.

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom