Questions About Mags Dropping Free and Clear

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShamanShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have been looking in this thread and I have seen no one mention any issues or questions about how to improve/mod mags so that that they drop clear when it is
    time to throw another one in. I have several pistols and one has zero issues while another seems like it can barely take the mag when it is filled to capacity. My
    concern is that when it is "go time" and I need to swap out mags/should I have to... I need to know for sure that it will be quick and painless. No time to stop and pry the damn thing out of the pistol...

Is it safe to shave mags down?to open up the mag well a tad? Lube the damn thing? a combo of these? I would like to think that I could grab any one of my pistols
    and not have to even think about a mag not dropping clear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Any decent pistol with factory mags should insert without friction and drop free everytime, even when empty. You shouldn't have to modify anything. What kind of gun are you talking about?

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    CZ75's, the pistol used by more military and police around the world! They got that mag thing wrong tho ;-)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, don't get TOO cocky... your beloved Grock magazine was initially designed to "stick", by request of the Austrian army. Ostensibly, the reason was because the Austrians only issued ONE magazine per pistol, and didn't want their guys to lose any.

At any rate, the original G17's NFML magazine did not drop free. That feature (metal lining to facilitate dropping free) was supposedly added after howls of dismay by the legions of US gamer guys demanding a drop-free mag.

You're welcome...:mamoru:

In that case, I guess the original Glock 17 isn't a decent pistol. Good thing I don't own one. :p

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    Armorall will fix the poly mags up right if you have issue with it... regular lube gets nasty on the mags after they hit the ground, the armorall does not pick up dirt badly.

ShamanShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Well the one particular pistol in questions is a recently acquired Magnum Research Baby Eagle 40SW (also known as the Jericho 941 ?) . When empty the mag drops fairly clean. Upon loading the mag and putting itin its home.. There seems to be "swelling" of the mag and a considerable difference in even the required amount of force needed to seat the
    mag. When I depress the mag release mag really just sits there (it does release, but does in no way drop free) and concerns me. I also hear that the EAA Witness and CZ-75
    magazines will work in the Baby Eagle?

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well, don't get TOO cocky... your beloved Grock magazine was initially designed to "stick", by request of the Austrian army. Ostensibly, the reason was because the Austrians only issued ONE magazine per pistol, and didn't want their guys to lose any.

At any rate, the original G17's NFML magazine did not drop free. That feature (metal lining to facilitate dropping free) was supposedly added after howls of dismay by the legions of US gamer guys demanding a drop-free mag.

Is this still the case? One of my 19s drops the mags clear without even having To touch it at first but when I'm putting a few hundred rounds through it within a few minutes and it starts getting hot all my mags begin to stick and I actually have to pull them by the baseplate. Doesn't require much force or anything but it doesnt drop free like its supposed to? All factory mags too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    For a defensive gun I think the mag should NOT fall free, nothing worse than drawing and hearing the mag hit the ground, or in a panic you didn't hear/feel it, BANG, CLICK, tap rack CLICK!! @&@&!!!!
    Now I know with a modern holster the mag catch will never be depressed on accident, ever! But, it happened to me, all that being said my mags drop free on all my carry guns, even my CZ PO-1, and I'm ok with that

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette

I was going to say the same thing. I owned a G17 in 1993, then a G20, then in 1997 or 1998, I purchased a G21. NONE of those Glock handguns came out of the box with drop-free magazines. Granted, my new G21 magazines are drop-free, but, it didn't come that way. IIRC, drop-free mags cost a few dollars more during the Clinton imposed AWB.

ShamanShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have been able to find out a bit more about the pistol in question. Designed or cloned from a CZ model and overseas mags are hard to come by and the mag catch can be
    designed in such a way that it is functioning properly. There are threads and info on moding the shape and or replacing the part in order to get a smoother drop. So I stand conflicted and wonder if it is just the mags that get swollen when fully loaded, which would change upon emptying the mag.

Thank all of you for you help. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I will be digging for additional info and doing some field testing soon.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    The magazine break in a CZ 75 can be modified or removed very easily, also the magazine disconector in the Browning Hi- Power is easy to remove. That will also enable the Browning to fire with the magazine removed. Look at the back of the mag well to see if it has a break like the CZ. Dave

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    Shaman sorry for my mispelling. I should have finished my coffee before responding. It is magazine brake. In the CZ it is a flat metal spring that protrudes into the magazine well and stops the magazine from dropping free. Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom