Questions about starting reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    From what I've read so far, it's hard to go wrong with the RCBS rockchucker kit. I found it for around $325 online which isn't a bad price at all IMO.

What's your opinion on the rockchucker and are there other presses I should be looking at? I'm looking to keep it low cost right now.

What else am I looking to buy that isn't included in the starter kit?

Where should I start looking for components?

The space I have to do this is very limited, what's the best minimalist table to start with?

scout019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Praireville
    I recently started reloading myself.This is what I got and has worked for me. Everyone is going to be a little different. I went with the Lee challenger press. Actually, I got their anniversary kit and it has been a great place to start. Low cost for sure, but seems pretty solid. I have started upgrading a few things and got the Lyman case cutter and RCBS case lube pad to improve on what I had. What I have I put on a workbench in the garage I already had in place. Has been working pretty good. So I still haven't answered your original question, but I have no personal experience with the die sets you mentioned. Components are tough to get right now but there are pretty much always reloading manuals around. Seems to me you can't have enough of those. Good luck.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Can't go wrong with Lee.

Sure, there are fancier machines out there, but dollar for dollar, Lee is your best buy.

I think my press, minus dies was like $125.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I too have the Lee anniversary kit. It's great to start on, but you'll end up upgrading certain things.

The Lee scale is accurate, but takes forever to dampen. You'll want a good Lyman scale. Some like a digital scale, but I'm old school.

A RCBS Uniflow powder measure can't be beat. You may still use the Lee measure that comes with the kit for some things, but an upgrade here is money well spent.

I have two Lee presses now, the Breechlock and a Pro Progressive. I like them both. I have a RCBS press and actually prefer the Lee, but I don't load a lot of rifle caliber. Your mileage may vary.

I like the Breechlock system of changing dies. Don't forget to order more bushings if you go this route.

While I am generally a big fan of Lee equipment, I don't like their dies. I prefer RCBS carbide dies for pistol rounds I'm going to mass produce and Lyman dies when I'm striving for accuracy.

I'm not sure where you're going to find components right now. You could http://www.etbrass.com/index.html Good luck.

I can't even find molds I'm looking for right now, much less primers. Fortunately I stocked up on primers last October.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    rcbs kit

the rcbs is what i started with long ago. i have since moved on to the progressive world of the 2000. the only item i would add would be the scale check weights to properly zero the scale.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/493216/rcbs-standard-scale-check-weights-605-grains
    also add case check gauges, helps to catch any rounds which would cause a failure to chamber/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276502/le-wilson-max-cartridge-gage-40-s-and-w
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/888465/le-wilson-max-cartridge-gage-9mm-luger?cm_vc=OBv1276502
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...headspace-gage-223-remington?cm_vc=OBv1276502

i like the rcbs carbide dies for pistol but i also use the lee factory crimp, esp for cast loads. for pistol make sure it is a carbide die, some make reg steel and carbide. (yes, i learned the hard way)

for rifle the rcbs dies are real nice. you may want to see if someone can help you to start so you can see the process. Be on the lookout for any of the classes Lanny will teach on reloading in BR.
    Frank

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    If you go progressive, get a dillon first and don't look back. For single stage the RCBS is hard to beat. I went the Lee route, and got tired of taking it apart to fix the priming system. It was a good first press because it was cheap, but the quality/design is subpar to dillon. I load rifle on a rock chucker, and pistol on a dillon 650.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I used a lube pad for many years but recently began to use the Dillon Spray. Much easier. I made my own for half the cost.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I bought a refurbished Lee Pro 1000 from ebay. The only really problems I have had were primer related; either not feeding at all, or coming in sideways etc. I just reload .45 acp with it now but plan on picking up a single stage for my rifle rounds

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I've got the Rock chucker supreme master kit.

additional items you'll need

Dies.
    Tumbler.
    media.
    Bullets
    Powder
    Brass
    Primers.

I just recently actually started using it. Mounting it to a good solid surface at a comfortable working height will help out a lot.

Once I started depriming, I couldn't stop.

Top Bottom