Questions about the m1897 norinco .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Hi everyone

I'm looking to get my first shot gun. I love history so I'm looking at getting a shot gun with one. I'd love to get an original m1897 but they are a bit out of my price range.Hence my desire for the Norinco version.As I understand it IAC imports them but I haven't been able to find any place with them in stock.Have they simply stopped being imported? Also if anyone who has one could tell me what they like and or dislike about them. Thanks

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    i, like yourself, like a bit of nostalgia. i found one at a local pawn shop with the intention of turning it into a "trench" gun with the heat shield and bayonet but decided not to after shooting it a bit as it served my purposes well enough as it is. while not as smooth as an origional 1897 it is quite servicable as it comes. you can lighten the action up a bit by simply backing the screw off 1/4 turn on the passenger side of the bolt. mine tends to lock-up with the winchester steel head lo brass shells but when fired w/ federal and remington run fine. i like the fact you can keep it charged w/ the hammer @ half-cock. try budsgunshop.com for a new one. most cordially, vic
    Hi everyone

I'm looking to get my first shot gun. I love history so I'm looking at getting a shot gun with one. I'd love to get an original m1897 but they are a bit out of my price range.Hence my desire for the Norinco version.As I understand it IAC imports them but I haven't been able to find any place with them in stock.Have they simply stopped being imported? Also if anyone who has one could tell me what they like and or dislike about them. Thanks

Sputnik

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Something you might want to consider, since this will be your first shotgun.
    The M97 does not have a safety. The statement above, about the half-cock, involves pulling the trigger on a loaded chamber, with your thumb holding the hammer. Accidents do happen. As long as you can accept its antique design(no safety), its a great historical bottle blaster.
    My experience is with the Norinco M97 trench. Looks BA with the bayonet, and fun to shoot. Solid construction, the action smoothed out after a few trips to the range. No malfunctions.
    I would not recommend it for home defence, because of the safety issue.

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Ah i was unaware of the safety issue. really alot of my desire has to do with its history as a design.Its why I have half the guns I do.Still not able to find it in stock though.Buds is reading as out of stock

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    BTW, you can find a good used shotgun and cut down the barrel (just don't get one with a rib). I got Winchester 120 off this site for $150 and cut down the barrel to 18.5" and I love the thing. It's light, shoots well, cycles great and it was cheap.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Hi everyone

The nonmilitary ones are fairly easy to find @ $350 and less...

Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Colfax
    Winter- next you come around , let me know. You are more than welcome to shoot my Norinco 97 to see if you like it. :)
    Tex

Top Bottom