quick ccw question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChordsBail

Glock and BHP nuff said
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I have always wondered if I am on my owned property, but I do not possess a concealed carry license, but I am a legal gun owner and carry one, not concealed, often (for work). Can I conceal carry just on my property??? thanks in advance!

ChordsBail

Glock and BHP nuff said
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I know alot about laws, but am no LEO and haven't found any case or any law pertaining to it and I don't see why not, I just don't like scaring my neighbors. As I am sure you all know their are 2 kind of people in life the ones that own guns and the ones that do not (or carry an illegal one!) and older generations would rather not see it as appose to see it. Although all my neighbors know me, and I always do a nightly patrol of my part of the neighborhood. Just was wondering hopefully a LEO or an Attorney or DA or anyone with that info will know for sure!

Keller

Walmitfahrer #478
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Baton Rouge/Covington
    I can't tell you the laws or legalese... all I can say is what I do. I live in an apartment. I do not have a CHP. I carry concealed from my door to my truck, and back. That's only transport and I'm reasonably certain that is legal in Louisiana. In what capacity are you carrying... While you mow the lawn?

Now wait until mcinfantry chastises me for interjecting an opinion and speculating... :o

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You can't carry concealed in your vehicle w/o a permit. (not sure if that is what you are speaking about)

Are you sure about that? I spoke to an LSP officer yesterday who said I could have my gun in my car. Is it supposed to be on the dash? I usually keep it in my console, the little armrest...

ChordsBail

Glock and BHP nuff said
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    same thing from house to car ,NO I do not see the need for packing for cutting the lawn (keeping it close by is a different story)and i would think an apartment (leased) and an owned home would be somewhat different, but i do not know. I own the home 100% and only conceal it when walking to my car like you. When I am working it is in my Fobus on my hip and when business picks back up i will be obtaining that CCL. Thanks for trying to help guys, great set of forums for some good ol' coon asses to hang out at!
    :wavey:

ChordsBail

Glock and BHP nuff said
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Louisiana Law you can keep it anywhere in your car loaded or not, I have heard that and read it many times and the nightly patrol ment just walking at night OC, which I know is completely legal, either way about the car i keep it in the front passenger seat at all times! My question was can I have it concealed on my 100% owned land, usually just from house to car! Thanks again!

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    iirc, what I stated above about vehicle carry was highly debated on this site before. I bet someone will be stepping in here soon to speak up.

sheashae

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Vp

I thought in the state of Louisiana the Castle Doctrine stated that our vehicle was an extension of our home. Which means we can put the handgun anywhere we please. The castle doctrine I believe states the ones home, car, and office are all treated the same way. You can carry concealed in your home all day long, so wouldn't the rules apply the same way?:confused::confused::confused:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I thought in the state of Louisiana the Castle Doctrine stated that our vehicle was an extension of our home. Which means we can put the handgun anywhere we please. The castle doctrine I believe states the ones home, car, and office are all treated the same way. You can carry concealed in your home all day long, so wouldn't the rules apply the same way?:confused::confused::confused:

This is a topic of great debate on this forum, each with their own interpretation. I teach in my class that by the letter of the law, you are opening yourself up for an additional charge depending on the circumstances. It is highly unlikely that you would encounter such a situation unless you were approached by leo in your car and you were carrying concealed "on your person", he COULD charge you with that. Would it stick? No one has been charged yet for us to test the theory.

More importantly, there are very few situations where carrying concealed in your vehicle is more tactically sound than some other methods of carry.

To answer your question....it depends.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I can see you getting pulled over and either reaching to pull it off of you so you can step out of the vehicle.... . BAD IDEA

Or being asked to step out of the vehicle and then being charged with Carrying concealed..without a permit. Would it stick???? Prolly not. But you would still most likely get the ride...

I think that carrying it within reach and readily accessible would be more "tactically " sound... I have one of those clip style canvas holsters (Uncle Mikes I think) Clipped to my door pocket.. I put my gun in that most of the time.. And I have a permit.. I just think IF I need it it would be easier to get to there than , getting it out of a holster under a shirt behind a seatbelt...

I think you can legally conceal from your house to your car or office.. I think thats even in the book somewhere....

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I can see you getting pulled over and either reaching to pull it off of you so you can step out of the vehicle.... . BAD IDEA

Or being asked to step out of the vehicle and then being charged with Carrying concealed..without a permit. Would it stick???? Prolly not. But you would still most likely get the ride...

I think that carrying it within reach and readily accessible would be more "tactically " sound... I have one of those clip style canvas holsters (Uncle Mikes I think) Clipped to my door pocket.. I put my gun in that most of the time.. And I have a permit.. I just think IF I need it it would be easier to get to there than , getting it out of a holster under a shirt behind a seatbelt...

I think you can legally conceal from your house to your car or office.. I think thats even in the book somewhere....

That about sums it up :cool:

ChordsBail

Glock and BHP nuff said
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    lol, somehow my question got all twisted and tangled, I know I cannot have it concealed on me in my car but it can be concealed in the car. My original and main question is Concealed Carry legal on you on your own land? w/o a permit say I am walking my dog in the yard at midnight or something. Btw while in my car, i just put it in a holster in plain view in the passenger seat and is the first thing i would tell a LEO if ever pulled over. I do know something about the laws, and abide by them, just wondering can you conceal carry on your own land or property owned by you? and I have a Fobus paddle holster so when I get out I OC , You can guess what I do by my name im sure and being that am no LEO or ATTORNEY or LICENSED CCL Teacher, I did have to learn alot of laws to do bail bonds and am constantly trying to learn laws, anywho, THANKS ALOT! for all the help!

Top Bottom