Radio question- car audio

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I have an 04 silverado, and want to listen to the music on my phone through my truck speakers. Has factory radio but no aux input on the face. I would get a jensen flip out screen my buddy has for cheap, but he doesn't know how to hook it up to where the steering controls still work. In the back seat there is radio controls with headphone plug for someone to use radio if I happen to use the cd player up front. Will that work as aux input? If not any suggestions?

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I have an 04 silverado, and want to listen to the music on my phone through my truck speakers. Has factory radio but no aux input on the face. I would get a jensen flip out screen my buddy has for cheap, but he doesn't know how to hook it up to where the steering controls still work. In the back seat there is radio controls with headphone plug for someone to use radio if I happen to use the cd player up front. Will that work as aux input? If not any suggestions?

You would need to get an adapter for the steering wheel controls to work. Dont waste your money on a jensen flip out. Spend a little more and put a jvc 840 double din in it

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Pull that factory garbage out of there and get an Alpine.

I left the JBL factory system in my Tundra in lieu of my Alpine system at the advice of Toyota and it is worthless. BTW: The reason I called Toyota in the first place was because they had the entire front console taken up for this factory installed abomination and I was worried about the wiring aftermath as well.

Trucks too old to worry about it now, but it will never happen again on my next one.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    That headphone jack won't work as an auxillary input. If you don't want to mess with the current stereo at all, get an FM transmitter.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ipod+fm+transmitter

I'm pretty sure they make them for more than just iPods and iPhones. The FM transmitter just takes the audio from your player and converts it to FM waves a radio can receive. Simply plug it into your phone, put the radio on a frequency with no music, put the transmitter on that same frequency and voila! Music to your ears. They make some cordless ones that you need batteries for and some that can plug into your 12V lighter outlet.

You can hear your music over the truck speakers, but you'll have to control the tunes from the phone...the steering wheel buttons will only work for volume.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I don't like spending money lol. Only reason I was considering screen was because its only 100after and be would put it in. I was going to put subs but the nose doesn't sound horrible. I don't want to spend hundreds. Just to listen to my phone you know. No telling what it would cost to have steering wheel controls hooked up

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have the same situation in my 04 Suburban. I wouldnt mind an aftermarket, but the rear seats have cd changer controls and earphone jacks, which will help when I take a trip with my daughter and she wants to listen to some of her own music. I've been trying to find an aftermarket that will work with that, or maybe a newer gm radio with an aux input.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    If you want to keep your factory radio, get a WIRED fm modulator. Way under $100, think I payed 40 for the one in my truck, have one in the wife's Yukon Denali also. Work great, no static, outside interference when turned on and no adapters to buy for steering controls, on star, etc. and if you have the factory cd changer, nothing will control it, so you lose it if going to aftermarket head unit.

I figure if you are considering a Jensen unit, you are not I treated in the Hugh end stuff anyway. The factory Bose (if you have it) I sway better than Jensen.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I have an 04 silverado, and want to listen to the music on my phone through my truck speakers. Has factory radio but no aux input on the face. I would get a jensen flip out screen my buddy has for cheap, but he doesn't know how to hook it up to where the steering controls still work.
    These is an adapter for your truck.

What trim is your truck?
    What model Jensen head unit?

:)

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Ah I forgot the exact trim, and doesn't say it on side. Has leather and has bose. The audio place in Lafayette has adapter for 79 and 50 to hook up the steering wheel part. I don't need a screen, I just have an app to get free music in my phone so that's the reason I want to use it. Edman where did you get yours and is it hard to hook up? That sounds like best easiest cheapest way

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    1. Get adapter off internets for $40
    2. Install yourself.:p
    3. ????????
    4. Profit

Ask your friend what is model the Jenses HU.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I got the last one off either ebay or amazon. Not hard to hook up, if you can install a radio, it is cake. It is basicly a little box that required 12v, add a small switch somewhere and plug the radio antenna into the box and the cable from the box into the antenna port on the back of the radio.

There are wireless versions and they may be good enough for you, but most pick up a lot of static and do not produce decent volume (radio has to be over half way up just to hear it).

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Just noticed I have a cassette slot...can I just use the same think to play cds from a portable cd player? The little cassette with the wire on it?

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Vm9410 is the model number
    I couldn't have a steering wheel adapter compatible with that model.

You can use the link in post #8 to find a IPhone kit for your factory radio, those will run ~$100-$120.

The cassette adapter option would be the easiest/cheapest way to go, only $3.

:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom