random gunsmith in Scott, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    Hey ya'll!

I'm Geoff and I work at Acadiana Gunworks in Scott. I was born and raised in Washington Parish. I've lived in this state all 28 years of my life, except when I was attending CST in Colorado for gunsmith training. (It was beautiful up there. And cooler.) I landed my first gunsmith job in Lafayette at the now defunct Custom Gun Works, made friends, and have hung out around Lafayette at least a little bit ever since. I moved back home to manage another shop in Franklinton, LA. Then I became interested in law enforcement, and became a sheriff's deputy. I did reserve work at first, then was full-time patrol for about 9 months. I really enjoyed it, but left home and went to Scott to help my friends open AGW here and we've been doing pretty well.

I think the next part is what I own... That's a long list, so I'll just say I favor military weapons, both modern and historical. I like US, Russian, and German weapons the most. I have a few suppressors, and I really enjoy making post-86 sample machineguns to play with. My favorite battle rifle is the M14. (It might become the SCAR 17 if I can ever afford one). On the AR side, I have a decked-out modern M4, as well as a retro Colt 604 clone. So really I like all flavors. My favorite SMG is the MP5, and I prefer Sig pistols. (My duty sidearm was my personal w. German P226 9mm, which was a LE trade-in from the 90's). Don't worry, I love 1911's also. ;) I saved up for a long time to purchase an original 1944 Colt 1911A1. I prefer the Remington 870 for a pump, and Benelli for an auto. (I've been eyeballing a VEPR-12 though). I digress...

Anyway, I heard about this forum while working at Custom in 2008, but much like now, I'm usually too busy to get on forums and post. I read forums a lot though, and surf the net a great deal. I'm generally always researching something; either for work or to satisfy my own curiosity. I'm not normally very politically active, but I (among others) recently worked with Rep. Barry Ivey on HB279 to require CLEO action on NFA Form 4 certifications, which was almost instantly shot down in committee. Maybe next session. I'll strive to be more active and post here on occasion. This is clearly the best gun forum going in Louisiana. So greets to all, and hope to catch you on the boards. :)

Geoff

gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    Thanks for the welcome!

Pic of '44 Colt:
    2nukl5w.jpg

gunsmith86

Own the night
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Franklinton, LA
    Thanks for the compliment. I sat down with a friend of mine who frequently buys/sells WWII stuff. He had the Clawson book and another 1911 book by maybe Poyer. We fully disassembled it and went over everything with a magnifying glass. It's all original as far as we can tell. The trigger bow was actually bent moderately when I first received it from the seller on Gunbroker. The trigger itself was stuck into the frame a little and of course had strange drag when pulled. It seemed to me that someone had pulled it really hard, either with the thumb safety on, or while the hammer was down. I gently tapped it back into shape on a Brownells trigger stirrup die, and it's been good-as-new ever since.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom