Range organization/cases?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I've been going to the range a good bit lately and found that I am carrying several hard cases, soft cases, range bag, targets, and other misc stuff. I've been thinking of ways to simplify the way I pack my stuff. Anybody have any ideas of cases or boxes rigged up for a good range day?

My only idea so far is something like a small aluminum job box that is rigged to hold 4-6 rifles, pistol cases, and ammo.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    A good discussion on range bags at http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?143899-RANGE-BAGS!-What-do-you-use&highlight=range+box

I once had a shooting team member build a large plywood box approx. 36 inches wide, about 24 inches deep, and 55 inches tall. it was hinged on the 36 inch side and the entire 36 x 55 side of the box opened up (we were shooting M14's at the time so it had to be large enough for 6 rifles and assorted other supplies). He mounted it on 20 inch bicycle wheels with a couple of handles along the top and sides. We dragged it all over the ranges for a couple of days and finally just left it in the truck. While it did the job, it was just too much trouble. I eventually worked down to the modular approach: Targets in one bag, range supplies in another case with a handle (actually a top opening sample-case style briefcase), a backpack for those items that I would probably need to put hands-on while at the range, ammo in cans, spotting scopes and stands in another case, and carrying in a soft case whichever weapon I was planning to shoot.

When I left the team in 2007 we were storing team stuff in a Pelican 1630 case (27 x 21 x 15, with wheels and collapsible handle). Just for grins I looked up an old list that I had on file of the contents:

Shooting Team box contents (usually stays in the vehicle. Everyone carries their personal weapon and equip):
    30 ea M16 magazines.
    30 ea M9 magazines.
    6 ea cleaning kits, with rods and brushes for both pistols and rifles.
    6-8 cleaning rags.
    Quart ziplock bag with 10-12 one-ounce bottles of CLP, 2 containers of bore cleaner, small bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil.
    Quart ziplock bag with extra cleaning patches (both sizes).
    Quart ziplock bag with foam earplugs (15-20 pair).
    Quart ziplock bag with admin supplies (scotch tape, pens, mechanical pencils, 3x5 cards, paper clips, rubber bands, sharpie marker (fine & bold points)).
    8-10 pair of safety glasses, mixture of clear, amber, and smoked lenses).
    Notepad.
    Quart baggie with red nail polish (for marking sights), Sight Black spray can, graphite powder (for lubing triggers), sight adjustment tool, White-out, speed-loader clips to fit on magazines, Lens Pen or lens brush and lens cleaning/anti-fog fluid,
    6 ea web quick-adjust slings.
    6 ea triangular bandages.
    1 roll of hundred mph tape, 1 roll of masking tape.
    Gerber tool.
    Packages of quart and gallon size ziplock bags.
    Quart ziplock bag with bandaids, Neosporin ointment, Tylenol, Aspirin, moleskin, rollaids or peptobismol tablets, Dramamine tablets, white surgical tape roll.

Just some ideas, so experiment and eventually you'll figure out what suits you best.....(and one last idea: use one of those folding wagons from Walmart or Academy http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Folding-Wagon/34109015 )

Last edited:
    Top Bottom