Range Safety Officer needed for Boy Scout pistol shoot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rollins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I am looking for someone to help this Saturday 23 March with a pistol class I am teaching at Camp Avondale in Clinton LA. Must be NRA certified (you can print off your credentials if you've lost your card).

Pistols are a new thing in Scouting; I've gone through a lot of trouble to get the Istrouma Area Council enrolled in a pilot program for Venture and Explorer Scouts. Unfortunately the RSO I had lined up is unable to make it, and with the show in Gonzales this weekend it seems gun guys are scarce.

Please help! Forward this message to any friends who might be interested; I'm not above paying someone if I can't find a volunteer.

David Rollins
    Chairman, Tunica District
    Istrouma Area Council
    (225) 302 8327

rollins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks a bunch to all who contacted me. I found someone from the Cypress-Chauve scout district who helped out as a Range Safety Officer.

We had 22 Venture Scouts and adults take the pistol class, and several are good enough shots to qualify for the Ranger Elective. John Lappin, the commissioner for Venture and Older Scout Services, and I are going to solicit our unit, district and the council for enough money to buy a couple of .22 pistols so that we can offer pistol shooting year round.

I have to make a quick plug for the Youth Shooting Sports Alliance, which gave us a generous grant of safety and cleaning equipment, plus plenty of (now-scarce) ammunition in .22, 12ga, and 20ga, and a loan of many pistols, rifles, shotguns, BB guns, and archery kits. They do good work, and have also supported the scout council up in Monroe: for more info see http://www.youthshootingsa.com/news/article/1/article_5.

I liked the Ruger Mark III, though I found the teardown to be difficult. Have heard good things about the Browning Buck Mark as well.

cvinson

We the People...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Glad that you were able to have this event David. Sorry that I had a previous scout event scheduled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom