RANT: No driving, don't care, tractor drivers.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    It is that time of the year again.
    Lots of tractors and combines driving up and down major highways.
    And they are too lazy trailer their headers and implements when they drive on the road.

Two weeks ago I noticed my latch on my mailbox was bent up from someone hitting it.
    Then today my wife text me this picture when she got home.
    7D207F72-189D-4319-A90D-359585F4AEDA-2619-0000056E3CD1367E.jpg

Thankfully I had the forethought to make my pole a 2 piece break away design so I don't have to dig another hole.
    And I might be able to reuse the pole with some braces.

Just yesterday I passed a combine with a header that was as wide as both lanes and one shoulder.
    NOTE TO FARMERS: TAKE YOUR HEADERS AND WIDE IMPLEMENTS OFF WHEN DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY. AND WHEN YOU HIT SOMETHING LEAVE YOUR CONTACT INFO OR PAYMENT FOR THE DAMAGE.

[/rant]

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    We trailer if at all possible. The liability is far to great not to, but I see way to many of my neighbors who are in too much of a hurry. It has cost some already.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What would your liability be when somebody hit it and got killed or injured?

I would assume none, considering they lost ability some how to stay on the legal driving lane and hit something off the road..... I am not a lawyer or anything so I could be wrong, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night. (Disclaimer: Not responsible for any problems caused by my shotty legal advice):rofl:

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    What would your liability be when somebody hit it and got killed or injured?
    IIRC that happened when I was a kid here in BR except he had filled his garbage cans with concrete and he lost bigtime! I could very well be wrong but I believe I remember my dad talking to me about it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Its just a sturdy mail box post. You didn't put it in the lane of travel, its on your property. Maybe you're afraid a car is going to end up in your living room and hurt someone?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I was talking to a neighbor today and there is a guy around me that put in a 8"-10" pipe 6' deep and filled it with concrete.
    That made the tractor drivers pay real close attention to where the mailbox was.
    But he lives on a parish road and I live on a US highway with lots of 55 mph + traffic. I don't want to risk the liability.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    We trailer if at all possible. The liability is far to great not to, but I see way to many of my neighbors who are in too much of a hurry. It has cost some already.

Thank you.
    I thought of you when I posted this, and figured/hoped you would think like this.
    My FIL works for a big farmer in Tensas Parish and just a few week ago was told to just drive the combine to the next field with the header on. Two other hand did but he took his header off anyway.
    I appreciate thoughtful people, they are a rare commodity.

Top Bottom