Rapid Fire at Ranges?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    If you want to drive, the Terrebone (on savanne and Lafourche parish (on hwy 182) allow it I think. If they dont, then I havent been told anything. Both are outdoor. You do you, i'm not getting into the above discussions.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    If you want to drive, the Terrebone (on savanne and Lafourche parish (on hwy 182) allow it I think. If they dont, then I havent been told anything. Both are outdoor. You do you, i'm not getting into the above discussions.
    They both have rules against rapid fire, but it depends who is working when you are there.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    When I do shoot "rapid fire" it's always at a private outdoor range and I only shoot as fast as I can acquire the target. Ammo cost too much to just spray bullets. I can say my rate of fire @ 25 yards on steel shooting my 22 cal MP5 SD or even my AR's is faster than any indoor range will allow hence why I don't try that there. I shoot for accuracy there.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yep. While one side will generally find it pleasing to continue, you’ll find that dropping it and going about your day to be a much better approach. There are a few here that just believe nobody can possibly come close to their abilities or knowledge, a true sign of ignorance. There’s no sense in trying to offer any different opinion or explain yourself. That’s not what they want. They want to feel important. They want to look superior. To do that they have to try to tear you down and insult you. Try to insinuate that you don’t know anything and have no experience. It can get pretty comical at times.
    Oh look, Magdump writing a whole paragraph (again) with nothing to contribute to the conversation besides bitching. Who'd have thought...
    I've been to ranges that want you to count seconds in between shots and are serious about it. That completely messes up my rhythm and concentration and I won't shoot there unless I have to for some reason. I understand the reasoning why. Most people go to ranges just to shoot a box of ammo for 15 minutes and not to train with hundreds of rounds in an hour. It's like the "lunk alarm" at Planet Fitness. If you are actually training at Planet Fitness they don't want you there. It intimidates their target market and possibly creates a safety hazard when untrained people try to duplicate that they see others doing.
    The no rapid fire rule is smart. The average gun owner sucks at shooting and is not nearly as safe as they think they are. You also have to contend with the folks who go to ranges to rent guns who have never taken a firearms class in their life and have only learned how to shoot via action movies and TikTok.

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    I've been to ranges that want you to count seconds in between shots and are serious about it. That completely messes up my rhythm and concentration and I won't shoot there unless I have to for some reason. I understand the reasoning why. Most people go to ranges just to shoot a box of ammo for 15 minutes and not to train with hundreds of rounds in an hour. It's like the "lunk alarm" at Planet Fitness. If you are actually training at Planet Fitness they don't want you there. It intimidates their target market and possibly creates a safety hazard when untrained people try to duplicate that they see others doing.
    Pay the fee at a good range because it's worth it. How will you know its worth your money and you have the capacity within that?
    1) you can draw from the holster whether appendix, otwb whatever no one bats an eye.
    2) multiple pits or training areas for you to setup personally how you prefer.
    3) no problems bringing in targets from paper to 5-10 steel targets to train with on the weekly.
    4) the ability to have consistent night shoots even in the summer where white light or NV is king. In the winter months this is the opposite.

7cats7coins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    I went to an indoor range once here in New Orleans a while back. They had a policy of no rapid firing of your firearm. I was wondering what the reasoning is behind this policy? In the real world I doubt anyone will take their time and slowly fire off single aimed shots in an extreme self-defense situation.
    What about the automatic weapons ranges?

PX4CX4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    I appreciate the spot-on responses. But what exactly is considered "rapid fire?" Are we just talking "auto-like" firing or pure finger only firing? Just curious.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I appreciate the spot-on responses. But what exactly is considered "rapid fire?" Are we just talking "auto-like" firing or pure finger only firing? Just curious.
    Some ranges define it, others leave it at the discretion of a staff member.

If you are popping off rounds with 0.20 second splits and they're all landing in the same circle, you probably won't have a problem with a decent range officer - unless others are complaining that they aren't allowed to fire as fast as you are.

On the flipside, if you're just blasting shots off as fast as you can and are spraying the target, it's logical to ask you to stop.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    0.20 second splits are faster than most people can pull a trigger, much less put all rounds on target. The ranges have a responsibility to keep all rounds inside the confines of the berms. A guy with lots of training and practice could possibly keep all his shots where they belong but the average weekend warrior……
    We can’t play favorites and let one guy do it and not the other. It is a case of the good suffering for the bad.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    What about the automatic weapons ranges?
    There is always Cut Off Range Complex. To the best of my knowledge there is no rule on rate of fire, you can shoot on the pistol range, on steel targets, as fast as you want. And if that gets old, go inside and rent a machine gun. OR rent a belt fed machine gun. Kenny just got a 1919 for rent.

SSaltz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ranges consider anything from 2-5 seconds rapid fire. I used to work at bass pro range and I tried to be a little lax is long as everything was on target.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    The "no rapid fire" rule strikes me the same as the "no drawing from holster" rule, which is everybody pays the price for the actions of the Darwin candidates, and no one wants to make their range safety officers work beyond "line hot/line cold" calls. I'm sure there are some RSOs on here who may want to take me to task, but oh, well, it's the internet, and I have an opinion I intend to share.

The story is: I went to Honey Island years ago with a friend who was also a reserve with my department, and at Honey Island, if you drive a marked unit, they let you cross the little bridge area and park in view, right near the check-in tables, because a marked unit once had all four tires slit in the parking area which is not visible from the line/table. We appreciate that. We arrive in a marked unit, and check in with duty belts draped over our shoulders. We hit the rifle range first, after shooting a bit there, we move over to the pistol line. No one else on the line when we get there, again, carrying duty rigs over our shoulders, plain and obvious to see. Set up targets, and strap on rigs to get ready, and RSO, who had been at the check-in table when we pulled up in a unit and watched us check in carrying our rigs with us, approaches and gives us the "can't draw from holsters" spiel. "I know you know what you're doing, but if we let you, then we gotta let everyone." I look around at the empty line. I look back at him but he's already shuffling back to his bullhorn.

Now, here's my big beef with this. Not that he wouldn't let us draw while no one else was around to complain, but that the RSO doesn't really do any RSOing. As I see it, the RSO is there to assure safety, so if I safely draw and re-holster my pistol without sweeping the line or shooting the table, leave me the hell alone to do my shooting. If I muzzle sweep someone or discharge into the table trying some cowboy bullsquat, do what a RSO is supposed to do and intercede, caution me, send me off the range, whatever needs to be done. And if you're not going to do anything but stop/start the line, then why the hell didn't someone say something when we walked up carrying duty rigs?

I did boot camp 32 years ago, I no longer care to be punished or treated like a child for someone else's screw-ups. The RSO is supposed to be the authority on the range, and exercise that authority when needed. Blanket prohibitions such as those mentioned are as bad as some of the ridiculous "no tolerance" rules they used in schools these days, they take away the discretionary judgement from knowledgeable personnel on site. Shooting ranges are places for responsible people, and if you can't be responsible, you should be invited to leave and not return, but you shouldn't be assumed as irresponsible from the get-go.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The "no rapid fire" rule strikes me the same as the "no drawing from holster" rule, which is everybody pays the price for the actions of the Darwin candidates, and no one wants to make their range safety officers work beyond "line hot/line cold" calls. I'm sure there are some RSOs on here who may want to take me to task, but oh, well, it's the internet, and I have an opinion I intend to share.

The story is: I went to Honey Island years ago with a friend who was also a reserve with my department, and at Honey Island, if you drive a marked unit, they let you cross the little bridge area and park in view, right near the check-in tables, because a marked unit once had all four tires slit in the parking area which is not visible from the line/table. We appreciate that. We arrive in a marked unit, and check in with duty belts draped over our shoulders. We hit the rifle range first, after shooting a bit there, we move over to the pistol line. No one else on the line when we get there, again, carrying duty rigs over our shoulders, plain and obvious to see. Set up targets, and strap on rigs to get ready, and RSO, who had been at the check-in table when we pulled up in a unit and watched us check in carrying our rigs with us, approaches and gives us the "can't draw from holsters" spiel. "I know you know what you're doing, but if we let you, then we gotta let everyone." I look around at the empty line. I look back at him but he's already shuffling back to his bullhorn.

Now, here's my big beef with this. Not that he wouldn't let us draw while no one else was around to complain, but that the RSO doesn't really do any RSOing. As I see it, the RSO is there to assure safety, so if I safely draw and re-holster my pistol without sweeping the line or shooting the table, leave me the hell alone to do my shooting. If I muzzle sweep someone or discharge into the table trying some cowboy bullsquat, do what a RSO is supposed to do and intercede, caution me, send me off the range, whatever needs to be done. And if you're not going to do anything but stop/start the line, then why the hell didn't someone say something when we walked up carrying duty rigs?

I did boot camp 32 years ago, I no longer care to be punished or treated like a child for someone else's screw-ups. The RSO is supposed to be the authority on the range, and exercise that authority when needed. Blanket prohibitions such as those mentioned are as bad as some of the ridiculous "no tolerance" rules they used in schools these days, they take away the discretionary judgement from knowledgeable personnel on site. Shooting ranges are places for responsible people, and if you can't be responsible, you should be invited to leave and not return, but you shouldn't be assumed as irresponsible from the get-go.
    That’s the same as saying that everyone that has a sports car should be allowed to drive 140 mph on I-10.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That’s the same as saying that everyone that has a sports car should be allowed to drive 140 mph on I-10.

No, it's really not. But law enforcement is allowed to drive over the speed limit in certain circumstances.

Think about how often you go shooting. Now of that time, what percentage are you going from holster to firing a round. You may do that more than some others but I believe it would be reasonable to say that the vast majority of all shooters spend only a small percentage of their time doing that training. People may practice drawing and then they may practice shooting but I don't believe most people spend much time drawing and shooting in the same motion. (This is where someone will reply about how they practice that every 30 minutes or so. While that may be true, I would offer that is well above the average for all shooters.)

Law enforcement firearms training, on the other hand, is usually the opposite. There's almost no training where the shooter starts with the pistol out of the holster. Almost all of their training involves drawing and shooting. The fact that someone is law enforcement means that, at some time and likely several times, they have demonstrated their proficiency with safely drawing from holster and shooting. If anyone else has a certification that involves a proficiency of drawing from a holster and shooting, there's no reason why the no drawing rule can't be relaxed when they are the only ones on the range.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    No, it's really not. But law enforcement is allowed to drive over the speed limit in certain circumstances.

Think about how often you go shooting. Now of that time, what percentage are you going from holster to firing a round. You may do that more than some others but I believe it would be reasonable to say that the vast majority of all shooters spend only a small percentage of their time doing that training. People may practice drawing and then they may practice shooting but I don't believe most people spend much time drawing and shooting in the same motion. (This is where someone will reply about how they practice that every 30 minutes or so. While that may be true, I would offer that is well above the average for all shooters.)

Law enforcement firearms training, on the other hand, is usually the opposite. There's almost no training where the shooter starts with the pistol out of the holster. Almost all of their training involves drawing and shooting. The fact that someone is law enforcement means that, at some time and likely several times, they have demonstrated their proficiency with safely drawing from holster and shooting. If anyone else has a certification that involves a proficiency of drawing from a holster and shooting, there's no reason why the no drawing rule can't be relaxed when they are the only ones on the range.
    It still goes back to the liability that the range owner has. I know that you don’t know me. I have been shooting competitively for over 30 years and am very proficient in both drawing from the holster and shooting quickly. But the fact that I am capable doesn’t mean that everyone else is. Anyone can buy a duty or speed holster but that doesn’t make them capable. And I know that it the exception and not the rule but some of the worst gun handling I’ve ever seen was from “experienced” LEOs.
    Again, it’s purely a liability issue.

Top Bottom