Rats!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I have giant rats that bypass my dogs and the neighborhood cats via powerlines. How should I take them out. I am in the middle of NOLA. I smacked one with a fishing pole and I thought the dam thing was going to take the pole away from and beat me with it that is how big it was.....

What say you. I want legal/fun options.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    imo, when inside city limits, being safe, and not getting caught is often the trump card for 'pest control' - which includes knowing how comfortable your neighbors are/will-be with your 'tactics'

However, there's always slingshot practice. I think that's about as legally safe as you can be whilst still getting lethal, or near-lethal damage done - which you can then follow up with a shovel whack.

Then there's this guy in Germany who pretty much defines 'badass' in weaponry outside firearms: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

Watch, enjoy, learn?

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Get the SWAT team that can't find a coyote to come shoot them.

Come to think of it these jokers might be nutria they are that freaking big! Next time I am calling 911 like it was suggested for Coyotes :doh:

imo, when inside city limits, being safe, and not getting caught is often the trump card for 'pest control' - which includes knowing how comfortable your neighbors are/will-be with your 'tactics'

However, there's always slingshot practice. I think that's about as legally safe as you can be whilst still getting lethal, or near-lethal damage done - which you can then follow up with a shovel whack.

Then there's this guy in Germany who pretty much defines 'badass' in weaponry outside firearms: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

Watch, enjoy, learn?

I love that guy the saw blade slingshot was amazing.

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    It's a shame you live in city limits. I'd like to see what those handgun caliber shotshells with #12 shot in them would do to a rat...

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I use to live on a creek with pear trees planted on the banks...talk about big rats. Pellet gun always worked fine for us.

That was my immediate response however shooting one within city limits I think could cause problems.... Not sure about this but common sense is telling me that it is a no. Wish I could though.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    That was my immediate response however shooting one within city limits I think could cause problems.... Not sure about this but common sense is telling me that it is a no. Wish I could though.

I was within city limits too (BR)... nobody ever noticed/said anything. I guess they were happy to have the rats killed, they would swarm the trees at dusk.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Another vote for pellet gun. I've got a Stoeger I bought for like $100 that will eliminate cats so I would imagine it would do the same for rats. Plus they're quiet.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    We USED to have rats at our shop uptown, especially during the colder months. My trusty Crosman Storm air rifle claimed a LOT of lives. Some pellets worked better than others, the ones that are a hollow point with a BB inside were great and always made a clean kill. The pointed ones also took them down quick, but usually left a bloody mess. Much better for breaking down the morale of remaining rats. After one bloody season, we haven't had a rat in the shop for about 3 years.

But alas, I doubt you get pull it off in your area. My Crosman is damn near as loud as a .22LR. For your situation, I'd recommend a complete surrender. After a while, you'll just get used to the rats...maybe someday you'll even grow to love them and Disney will make a movie about it.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    phaj5vpvxe0iviegsllj.jpg

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We USED to have rats at our shop uptown, especially during the colder months. My trusty Crosman Storm air rifle claimed a LOT of lives. Some pellets worked better than others, the ones that are a hollow point with a BB inside were great and always made a clean kill. The pointed ones also took them down quick, but usually left a bloody mess. Much better for breaking down the morale of remaining rats. After one bloody season, we haven't had a rat in the shop for about 3 years.

But alas, I doubt you get pull it off in your area. My Crosman is damn near as loud as a .22LR. For your situation, I'd recommend a complete surrender. After a while, you'll just get used to the rats...maybe someday you'll even grow to love them and Disney will make a movie about it.

Funny you should joke about that. I saw an episode of hoarders the other day, that had a guy who hoarded RATS. No lie, he lived in a rat infested house, and he treated them as pets! They extracted all these things promising they would go up for adoption or some weirdness. They had them about 10-20 rats per container FILLING UP a climate controlled 18-wheeler trailer. I want to say there were like 2500 rats or something overall that were removed from this guys HOUSE. They lived inside the walls, in his mattress, EVERYWHERE. Funny thing was on the same episode there was a lady who hoarded cats. She had about 50 cats or something crazy. If they would have just gotten together it would have been a better episode.

Top Bottom