RCBS Reloading Starter Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    t_1316.jpeg

$267.95

Anyone have any experience with this kit ?
    Is this a good price ?
    Where do you get your supplies from ?

I'm ignorant when it comes to the inner workings of reloading brass ammo, but am aware of some of the dangers. Although I don't plan on trying to make a hotter round than the .40 S&W already is. I've helped my old man do some shotgun shells about 20 years ago. I've got two friends who also have been reloading for more than two decades now so I'm not completely lost but was wondering if this kit will give me what I need to re-load .223 & .40 S&W ammo?

Also any reading recommendations are welcome as well as any other words from the wise.

Thanks

Last edited:

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    If you are handloading for pistol only, the Dillon Square B is a much better press, progressive, and much faster, for just a little more money, I have them all , single stage, turret, and progressive, take it from me, I have spent the money on all, Square B is the way to go, you can crank 250 to 300 an hour, if you are goiing to do rifle and pistol, Lee Turret is the way to go, you can get it for about $150 with a set of dies for pistol and rifle, as far as make a hotter round out of .40 S&W, I would be very apprenhensive, safety is paramount with reloading,

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I started with a similar RCBS kit 30 years ago. I still have and use most of its components. It is great to start with and will give you a lot of flexibility with respect to what cartridges you can load for. While the Dillon Square Deal is a great little loader. it has several features that make it not very versatile at all. The Dillon 550 is great, but you can load an adequate volume of ammo for a lot less money with the single stage kit. If you shoot a lot, you will likely end up with a Dillon 550 or 650 in addition to your single stage, but you will find the single stage to be very useful throughout your loading career.

Dan

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    if you are goiing to do rifle and pistol, Lee Turret is the way to go, you can get it for about $150 with a set of dies for pistol and rifle, as far as make a hotter round out of .40 S&W, I would be very apprenhensive, safety is paramount with reloading,

I said I was NOT trying to make a hotter round. I'm looking at loading some light loads to plink with.

I also edited my OP b/c I also plan on purchasing a
    "Home Defense Rifle" chambered in .223 :cool: within a few weeks. I've heard that you can get up to 10 reloads out of Remington Brass too.

So now I need to focus more on reloading Pistol and Rifle.

I also didn't plan on spending $500 or more for just the reloader :eek3:

I'm budgeting around $300 for the machine and $150 or so for the rest of the ammo supplies.

Any recommendations close to that range would be helpful.

Thanks for all the replies so far as well. :cool:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I will draw flak from this, but I would not buy a Lee.

YOu are headed in the right direction with the kit you asked about, but you will likely spend a bit more than $300 by the time you get all of the little things that make life easier.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Sorry, was reading while on conf call, NOT trying to make it hotter, good deal, I agree with Dan, buy it right the first time, tell us everything you plan on doing, if you plan on just fiddling around at your own leisure and in no great hurry and do not shoot matches 3 weekends a month like Dan and I, the RCBS will work just fine, I does look like it has most of the basic necessities

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Loading for rifle is entirely a different routine than for pistol. Rifle brass, especially 223, need to measured for length and trimmed accordingly. Rifle rounds headspace differently than the straight walled handgun rounds and the brass lengthens being shot. Purchase or borrow a couple reloading manuals and read about metalic reloading.
    As far as the press and accessories you are looking at...it is fine. I suggest looing on the forums for a used press or even ebay. Just looking at the kit from the picture, you will need to purchase dies, calipers, a tumbler, tumbling media, brass, powder, primers, bullets and dedicate a place to work and store.
    Good luck to you!

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm also currently lookin for a reloader, and from all the stuff I've read and heard from guys who have been reloading for a long time (this board included), the concensus seems to be to go with the RCBS. Like you, I am just trying to make some rounds to shoot with, and I'm only shooting .45ACP, so this reloader is what I've been looking at also. Make sure to get Tungsten Carbide Dies as well.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No I don't shoot matches now.

I just like to shoot, but like most can't afford to shoot a few hundred a month of store ammo :(

So for now I'm just looking at loads to plink with and enjoy shooting every few months or so.

So the kit is the deal right ?

Tier1Mike

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Westbank- Jefferson Parish
    You got a great starter kit at a reasonable price. Don't be in a rush to load "volumes of ammo". A single stage press forces one to thoroughly learn the steps safely. Lean what you are doing and why you have to do it so, and then one day, move onto a progressive. You may want to purchase another reloading manual or two (there are freebies you can download). Also, a nice electronic scale (such as Dillon's) is a logical next purchase. for Pistol dies, make sure the sizer is carbide so you don't have to lube (some folks still do so). A vibrating case tumbler is good to have.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Loading for rifle is entirely a different routine than for pistol. Rifle brass, especially 223, need to measured for length and trimmed accordingly. Rifle rounds headspace differently than the straight walled handgun rounds and the brass lengthens being shot. Purchase or borrow a couple reloading manuals and read about metalic reloading.
    As far as the press and accessories you are looking at...it is fine. I suggest looing on the forums for a used press or even ebay. Just looking at the kit from the picture, you will need to purchase dies, calipers, a tumbler, tumbling media, brass, powder, primers, bullets and dedicate a place to work and store.
    Good luck to you!

I can reload .223 with this kit too right?

Top Bottom