RDS on a handgun: Who is doing it, what are you using, and how do you like it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There's a guy in Metairie that will mill and tap your slide specifically to your optic. He builds 1911's also I just cannot think of his name. Met him at a plate match and a lot of guys recommended him.

BTW, the Zev fits the RMR so tight, that you literally have to tap it with something to get it in/out.

Is his name Joey? My father is friends with a guy that builds 1911's and shoots competitions (or used to) and I think he was from Metairie.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Put a Vortex Venom on my G19 MOS recently.
    Only been consistently putting in range time for the last 6 months...so a semi noob, myself.
    Accuracy went up significantly with the RDS, but realize that I still need to hone fundamentals and the RDS will not compensate for poor technique.
    Having issues finding suppressor sights that will be tall enough (and still fit most holsters) for that sight due to stack height of the Venom.
    Considering returning the sight and going to an RMR.
    No problems with Venom so far, but only have 500 rounds with in in the G19 so far.
    Noob (or anyone else) do u have any thoughts on the dual illuminated RMR?
    Having trouble paying that much for a RDS, much less $600 for the other RMRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnn9806

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Metairie
    I'm still a novice in the shooting world, but the rmr is faster to me. I found no difference in transitioning back and forth from irons to rmr after getting the hang of the dot. You can still see the irons through the red dot. I switched to all black sights. The fiber front distracted me a little since it was the same color as the dot.
    2460ba08680e96a3fcb638ddc84cb9cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    ATEi is the only slide modifier that I know will hand fit the exact RMR you order to the slide. Supposedly you don't need to add tape with one of his slides, but I don't have one of his, so I can't say for sure. Just reiterating what the Roland fanboys say.

I do not think it is the milling of the slide that creates the issue as the cut should be the same from front to rear of the sight cut no matter what the depth of the cut is. Plus the sight mounts directly into the sight cut. I think it slight differences in battery thickness and/or differences in the depth of the battery compartment of the individual RDS that creates the issue. They may be fitting the RDS to the slide cut.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I do not think it is the milling of the slide that creates the issue as they should be cut flat no matter what the depth of the cut, plus the sight mounts directly into the sight cut. I think it slight differences in battery thickness and/or differences in the depth of the battery compartment of the individual RDS that creates the issue. They may be fitting the RDS to the slide cut.

No clue, but this is a temporary solution for a permanent problem. This is the only thing holding me back from blowing the cash on having a RMR'd carry gun.

rmr-031.jpg

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    For the record, I've had ZERO issues with any of my 3 dual illuminated RMR's. I even run one on my full auto m10. Works well enough for me, and with my severe astigmatism, all the dots look larger than they really are, but the dual illuminated doesn't look as harsh to my eyes.

Noob, how does the dual illuminated RMR work when you're in the dark and turn on the WML? Do you lose the dot because of washout?

JR1572

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Noob, how does the dual illuminated RMR work when you're in the dark and turn on the WML? Do you lose the dot because of washout?

JR1572

I want to say I can still see it, but I'll try tonight and get back to you. Also If you think about it, if you didn't have an RMR, you wouldn't be able to see your sights in the dark with a bright weapon light on either. Plus my sights cowitness and Comptac makes their sight channel tall enough to clear, just need to dremel a little off the top to clear the RMR.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I'm with you.

JR1572

I agree that you shouldn't have to resort to using a piece of tape to fix a $400-$500 sight, but if have one and you experience a flickering dot it is an easy fix.
    However the one pictured is done (in my opinion) incorrectly, the tape should only be on the center of the battery and not make contact with housing. The purpose of the tape is to act as a spacer to place the battery deeper to make a better connection with the contacts. When tape extends onto the housing it lifts the entire RDS off the slide.

Now, which plate rack would I use this on at Honey Island?.......:-)

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nice!

Was just researching if I should go with the 6 or 7. My Venon has a 3 moa...but I keep seeing the bigger RD is the way to go for a carry weapon.
    Let us know what you think

My opinion may be skewed due to my severe astigmatism. ALL dots look rather large to me, But I run RMR's b/c focusing on the front sight/target at the same time can be tough due to severe astigmatism ONLY in my right eye causing cross dominance. I've never run the 07 (just picked it up today). But I do own 3 RMR 04's (7 moa) and an RMR 01 and 06 (3.25 MOA). Strangely I shoot better with the RMR 04's, maybe b/c the dot isn't so harsh looking (unless you are outside in full daylight it can get really bright). Where as the LED version can seem rather bright at times, which makes it look larger.

I would say the general consensus is LED is the way to go and the 06 is THE RMR to buy (from EVERYTHING I've read on them). But I'm an odd ball that doesn't want to worry about batteries and doesn't mind the slightly dimmer dot of the 04.

Now as far as when dot size comes to play. Within 30 feet, I don't think dot size matters, and the larger dot may be easier to pick up with your eyes. But when you stretch things out past 25 yards, then the larger dot will cover most of the target. I can say though, I'm a lot more accurate at 25 yards with the RMR (regardless of model) than I am without it. Though it may cover the center of the target, at least I'll be on paper each time.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the great feedback. Was thinking about a 04 initially because of cost savings...
    But concerned about semi dark rooms...
    Have you had issues not being able to see the dot in semi dark situations?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the great feedback. Was thinking about a 04 initially because of cost savings...
    But concerned about semi dark rooms...
    Have you had issues not being able to see the dot in semi dark situations?

I promise to take pics sooner than later. I may try tonight but having an infant at home takes up a lot of spare time.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Did a quick test and took some photos. Photos will be added later. Test consisted of being in a bright room looking out, dark room looking out to darkness, and dark room looking out to bright room.

Guns were glock 17 sporting an rmr01
    Glock 19 with rmr 06
    Glock 34 with rmr 04

Initial tests showed with lights on. It was easy to pick up any dot, though the 04 was noticbly dimmer. That being said, with both eyes open, the 04 was very crisp, with one eye open strangely it seemed translucent. Led models were very bright, had a "burst" look but 99% chance that's just me.

In a bright room with weapon light on (tlr-1s) I can see all dots fine.

In a dark room, 06 was the brightest, then 01 and lastly 04. Sadly the 04 was dim (similar to amber night sights).

In a dark room looking into a bright room, leds performed well but 01 is lacking compared to the 06. 04 looked very dim where you had to "look" for the dot.

In the dark room, looking into a bright room with weapon light, both the 01 and 04 could not be seen. Only the 06 was visible in this situation.

So in the various light test, 06 seems like the clear winner.

Food for thought:
    With the weapon light and cowitness sights, I could still use the iron sights when dot wasn't easily visible.
    My 17 doesn't sport a rear sight (old model zev where the rear sight is actually on the plate you use when no optic is mounted). This made it harder when the dot wasn't visible.
    I've only experienced the flicker/cycle/missing dot with the 06. In ideal conditions the 01 and 04 were always visible.
    Led models have batteries you have to worry about.

So in conclusion, they all have their pluses and minuses, so end use will determine what may be best for you. If you are going to be clearing houses in the dark, I suggest the 06. If all your shooting is day time shooting i.e. Range gun. The 04 is cheaper and sufficient. As far as long term reliability I think neither will last forever (electronics fail, add G forces and that happens sooner, and tritium dies out, so there's a shelf life on that also).

Top Bottom