realistic carbine mag carrier

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lajeeper

heartless conservative
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    BR
    When time / money allows, I'd like to start taking the carbine training class by VATA either later this fall or in the spring. I believe in training like you fight, and herein lies the problem. I'm not a navy seal hunting for Osama in the mountains of Afghanistan, and will likely never never don a tactical kit and roll into battle. I go to school and then to work in slacks and a shirt and tie.

Therefore, I'm reluctant to buy some tactical rig or vest to carry the necessary spare magazines required for the carbine class, training myself to reach across my chest for a magazine that isn't there if I ever do end up in a high stress situation.

If the above made any sense, what would those who have participated in formal training recommend for someone in my situation?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I have reduced my load down. The last class I ran two on the belt, one/two in the pocket, with one in the gun. This was more realistic for myself.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    A setup that you can carry on your belt, you might be limited in space and it will tend to be more uncomfortable you can probably do something like 2 AR/AK mag holsters and 3 or 4 for whatever pistol you plan to use plus a pistol holster.

If I remember correctly their tactical carbine class does a transition from your primary long weapon to your secondary weapon (pistol) so you need that too.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I would recommend that however you plan on fighting that you train that way. If you are swat then train in your gear. If you carry a manpurse with your magazines in there, then use that during the class.

Classes are filled with many many many different types of people. Some take them for fun, others for work, others like to get better for competitions.

For your situation? Do you have your concealed carry permit?

If so, I would skip the carbine class and take the pistol classes. Use your concealment rig and train with that. Put your magazines in your pocket or spare mag carrier and your pistol tucked under the shirt and let the instructors teach you what to do.

My opinion, skip the carbine and take pistol classes.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I've only taken one rifle class and I don't have any real world experience but when I did take it, I took "train like you fight" to the extreme." All my mags came from pockets. I can never, under any circumstance, see me carrying rifle mags on my belt. Sure, the time may come but the training is the same and, to me, it's more likely I will be stuffing a mag or two in my pocket when I grab my rifle.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Training like you fight makes sense, but you don't walk around with your rifle, and you don't know what you'll be wearing the day you need it. Since you'll have to 'grab your rifle' when you need it, why not 'grab your gear' at the same time?

Keep a vest, or belt pouches, or whatever you want to use, with the rifle, and you'll have what you practiced with. I'm not saying you have to put on a bunch of gear, but grabbing your gear is probably faster than stuffing mags in pockets anyway.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I recommend some sort of Man Purse, for Patrol Cops and Home Defenders I think it is the best compromise. It can be kept with the rifle and quickly doffed when needed.

lajeeper

heartless conservative
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    BR
    All, thanks for the immediate and great responses. It's the support like this that makes this forum what it is. :bigok:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'll toss a vote towards the belt pouch idea, and suggest BladeTech as a very solid option. Realistically, even if you sport a tactical vest, loading from your belt is more natural and there's no rule that states you have to use one option or the other. The Magpul videos are prime examples, as some of them include belt and vest mounted mag carriers.

My waistline is 32", and easily supports 3 AR mag pouches and a double pistol mag pouch as well. It's even pretty comfortable in the shooting positions you would imagine causing problems, including urban/modified prone, where I'm actually laying directly on the extra mags.

I like the idea of training "out of pocket", though. In a situation with almost no warning, that'd be your most likely method of carrying extra mags, regardless of the gear or plan you had in place. Might work on that some in the near future.

zonblitz

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Slidell LA
    It just depends on your pesonal situation. For me, i'm a reserve policeman but travel daily with my rig in the truck. The thought process is whether I happen to be somewhere where the SHTF I'm covered, if I am in my town and get called out, I'm covered.

So for me I train with the rig on (for carbine) and duty rig for pistol classes.

If you are going to carry your carbine with you and it would be available to you were you to need it then I would invest in a small chest rig. It would be light weight and you could keep it with your carbine.

Same as if it were for home protection/zombie apacolypse... Keep it with the rifle/carbine and when you grab it throw it on.

If you primarily conceal carry and never carry the carbine with you then I would suggest the comp tac mag holder or the raven concealment version. mag or two in pockets is always an option.

I like the increased speed of having them in a holder though.

My .02

Top Bottom