Realized New Orleans wasn't for me today.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You guys must have had sucky experiences. Being born and raised there, there is no place like New Orleans. The **** we did when I was there was unbelievable. There was something to do EVERY day. From adolescence to my 40's.

There cannot be any comparison of being born and raised and just living there for a little while. Yes, it is not the same post Katrina, but there will never be a place like it ever. And granted, it makes a difference what neighborhood you lived and having friends and family.

I could tell stories about the crap we did there and most people would think I am making it all up.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You guys must have had sucky experiences. Being born and raised there, there is no place like New Orleans. The **** we did when I was there was unbelievable. There was something to do EVERY day. From adolescence to my 40's.

There cannot be any comparison of being born and raised and just living there for a little while. Yes, it is not the same post Katrina, but there will never be a place like it ever. And granted, it makes a difference what neighborhood you lived and having friends and family.

I could tell stories about the crap we did there and most people would think I am making it all up.
    ill put Vegas up against it, and it doesn't have a bunch of thugs rolling around in donks. New Orleans has a lot of history and culture, and I loved visiting, but I could never live in it.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    ill put Vegas up against it, and it doesn't have a bunch of thugs rolling around in donks. New Orleans has a lot of history and culture, and I loved visiting, but I could never live in it.

I worked in Vegas extensively over the last ten years. There are just as many jackasses off the strip.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I worked in Vegas extensively over the last ten years. There are just as many jackasses of the strip.
    tourist, or local? I just know everyone I talked to who lived there any length of time still loved it, while noone I know who has lived anywhere else is even remotely pleased about being in shreveport after a few months. What exact type of jackassery and from who Did you experience in Vegas?
    * wherever I go I'm renting for at least one year before I buy.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    tourist, or local? I just know everyone I talked to who lived there any length of time still loved it, while noone I know who has lived anywhere else is even remotely pleased about being in shreveport after a few months. What exact type of jackassery and from whomever did you experience in Vegas?

Teamsters (legitimate entitlement whores). Lots more roving white trash. Facade construction. No history. No character. Food is awful.

Good gun laws, though.

Comparing Shreveport to Vegas is not fair, C'mon.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Teamsters (legitimate entitlement whores). Lots more roving white trash. Facade construction. No history. No character. Food is awful.

Good gun laws, though.

Comparing Shreveport to Vegas is not fair, C'mon.

I can't relate to what you experienced. I would have to live it. That's why I plan minimum one year rent before I buy. I just know I hate almost everything about where I live now, and the people around Vegas impressed me. I know its not necessarily apples to apples, but I can move anywhere that I want, so it kinda is apples to apples in that sense. Please feel free to pm me so we don't clutter the op's thread. Looking to move in a year and all input such as property tax, house/land cost, etc is welcome. I'm wanting 50+ acres outside of the city. Up to 45min one way to the hospital commute is fully acceptable to me. I want a range in my back yard.

* I find Vegas cool because a tourist spot in the middle of the desert out in nowhere is abiut as dumb an idea on paper as it gets, yet look at how it took off. I think its cool, and because of how it came to be, it is the opposite of shreveport's clan mentality. At least, that's my experience for the last six years here. No room for non-livers unless you only associate within your workplace or something. Ymmv of course. Vegas struck me as an open melting pot where people judge you on your merit and not that of your high-school football teams standing.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    He means "MANVEL" TX. I used to keep my plane at the Houston SouthWest Airport, near there.

Also, "Lafayette" (LA) is "LFT"; not "laffy".

I have lived from Panama City to Brownsville, most coastal cities in between.

If you want beaches, hunting, fishing, girl-watching; without crime, dirt, squalor; with balmy Summer-like Winters, nice folks, pretty scenery; and low-cost living; THE PLACE is Corpus Christi, Texas.

N'Awlins is a place to spend a long weekend, not to live and raise a family. This is my 4th time living in N.O. I told my Wife she really didn't want to live here, but I had a good job offer and she wanted to try it for herself. Now, 3+ years later, she hates it, too.

And, David, with that really cute Wife of yours, you need an armored truck to cruise Claiborne ! With flame-throwers and a twin .50 BMG rig mounted on top.

leVieux

I honestly have never met someone I didn't like from texas. I have got to check that state out. In regards to cruising claiborne I have a glock 19 and two pugs that are as feisty as a pair of 50 cals :mamoru:

No really bad experiences just eye-opening experiences. My wife and I stay pretty busy we love checking out all of the festivals, food, and the local music is wonderful don't get me wrong we love what the city has to offer it is just isn't a place I could live forever. In regards to family and friends I agree I could live just about anywhere with my family and friends present.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No really bad experiences just eye-opening experiences. My wife and I stay pretty busy we love checking out all of the festivals, food, and the local music is wonderful don't get me wrong we love what the city has to offer it is just isn't a place I could live forever. In regards to family and friends I agree I could live just about anywhere with my family and friends present.

Everyone in my family and wife's family, and all friends still lives there. They all admit it ain't the same New Orleans we knew before Katrina. The individual neighborhood charm and character that made it special has been diluted. When I heard that Melius' bar in Bucktown was robbed at gunpoint by blacks a few years ago(after Katrina), I knew it was over.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Also, "Lafayette" (LA) is "LFT"; not "laffy".

leVieux

:doh:

Thanks Mavis!

download-free-mavis-beacon-typing-software.jpg

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Nu Awlins. Haven't been there in about 22 years or so and will never, for any reason, go back. It's a shame that the Saints can't be located somewhere else in the State. Nawlins is below sea level and I think that location was always meant to be a giant cess pool for the entire Mississippi River drainage area, which is what I think it has become.

I do not like any large city just because when the SHTF I would not want to be caught in any large metro area. Some places, like Houston, are great for a day visit and fabulous places to eat, if you know the areas and where to go, but that's all.

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Working on 4 yrs......

No idea where I am going but I am thinking the major theme will be more land less buildings. Heck that could be as simple as north shore or as drastic as north dakota hopefully not the later.

Anybody know of a good wholesome town with cheap real estate, a really good french bakery, and a do what you wanna attitude? Or is that Utopia?

On that note I am always going to be a Saints fan fell in love with them when I moved here and one year later they won the superbowl. I did get to go see the first game of that season before the ticket sales exploded! However, I definitely didn't put in my fair share of disappointments.....

St Tammany Parish is where you want to be at. You might like Slidell or Covington. I left Slidell but im back here 4 months later. I like it being out here......

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Although I am not from Covington/Mandeville I think it be best for you. Cross the causeway and your in New Orleans for a quick trip then you can head back to St Tammany.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    just leave the south. They are worse where you are, but they are bad up here, too. I'm getting out in a year and can't wait. I'm traveling all over the us looking for alternatives. Right now I'm feeling vegas. Still have Oregon on my list to visit, among others, though.
    Aaaand this is why I left SHV 6 yrs ago...
    I was born and raised there, and moved out 1 yr after divorce.
    I go there once in a great while to visit my friends and family, and it has declined immensely, now that it's overpopulated with em...
    My next move will be nowhere within this state.
    I'm thinking north Arkansas.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i would have a condo in the warehouse district and visit on the weekends, but it would have to have secure parking though...

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I liked Texas, used to live in mcallen. Property crime/ theft was through the roof though. I would be nervous about that in corpus, too.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Aaaand this is why I left SHV 6 yrs ago...
    I was born and raised there, and moved out 1 yr after divorce.
    I go there once in a great while to visit my friends and family, and it has declined immensely, now that it's overpopulated with em...
    My next move will be nowhere within this state.
    I'm thinking north Arkansas.
    been there some. Friends have property on the white river in mountainview. Beautiful. People seemed nice as well.

Top Bottom