Rebuild transmission cost

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I am looking at a 4x4 toy and wondering if anyone can advise a range for rebuilding transmission. I have no clue what to expect as for a price and need to know to consider all options. Thanks for the feedback!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    maybe post a year/make/model of the 4x4. I know a few members on here work on cars, and 1 I know works on transmissions.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    maybe post a year/make/model of the 4x4. I know a few members on here work on cars, and 1 I know works on transmissions.

No certain make or model specifically, but since I just came across one 1999 Dodge Durango. I'm looking for a range mostly so I can consider if transmission rebuild is worth lookong at or how much I can offer on something.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    $1500 and up
    All depends on which transmission and whether you are doing the removal & install yourself (usually saves you about $300-500 depending on vehicle)
    If it is a common vehicle supported by the aftermarket, price aftermarket performance transmissions. Many times they can be had cheaper than a rebuild, but aren't available for everything.
    Don't walk, run away from a Durango if you are looking for a toy.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Dodge transmissions have been their weak link for years. That said, when I traded in my 99 Durango, it had 225k miles on the original trans and the Ram 2500HD 4x4 I got needed a new trans at 155k, so it really depends on how it was treated through its early life.
    And FWIW, I put a rebuilt unit in with a 300k warranty for about $2500 iirc.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My son just spent almost 3000 on a replcement transmission for a 2005 Silverado Z-71. It is a better and more heavy duty transmission than the original plus anything with 4 wheel drive cost more. Technically it wasn't a rebuild, but more like a replacement. You prolly won't spend that much, but you could :)

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Computer tranny overhaul............. a minimum of $2500

Time to make sure the ECM is not having to adapt or correct that new tranny $100. You may "think" the transmission is working fine after a rebuild. I am saying that You better "KNOW" all is well before you find out the hard way.

If you skip the computer diagnosis AFTER the rebuild, you are asking for trouble.
    If your builder doesn't understand how to interpret the adaptive corrections, get another builder.

Performance trannys are a plus, HOWEVER they require a custom performance tranny tune. Just like you custom tune an engine, you must do the same for a computer tranny. Whether it be for off road, racing, Hot Shot or stock upgrade.

Many stock trannys can and will live longer with a custom tune.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Recently, in Alexandria, $1800 to rebuild a transmission on a 95 Chevy 1500 where we first pulled the transmission out of the truck before we took it in to the trans shop, then reinstalled it ourselves. $2600 for an 02 Dodge Dakota where the shop did the whole job including the take-out and reinstall.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Recently, in Alexandria, $1800 to rebuild a transmission on a 95 Chevy 1500 where we first pulled the transmission out of the truck before we took it in to the trans shop, then reinstalled it ourselves. $2600 for an 02 Dodge Dakota where the shop did the whole job including the take-out and reinstall.

What kind of warranty did you get?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    A lot depends on the year make and model of the 4x4. Much older trucks can be much cheaper to rebuild depending on the amount of computor control, overdrive, and gears (3speed, 4speed, 5speed, 6speed). Diesel vrs gas motor can also change the price. Dont overlook the transfer case also because transmission issues can also effect the transfer case. If the truck does not have an external transmission cooler it would be a VERY good idea to have one installed when the unit is replaced or rebuilt. Heat is the number 1 killer of transmissions. All that being said the price could range from $1000 - $3500 depending on the Make, model and year.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yep, kind of like looking at older motorcycles and the owner says "It won't start now, but it just needs a carb rebuild." Seems like every older motorcycle that doesn't start just needs a "carb rebuild."

"all highway mileage not sure whats wrong with it" - caption under picture of it doing a massive burnout.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Sorry to Hijack , so please PM me and do not reply to this thread.
    If there are any TECHNICIANS roaming here.

I am looking to hire someone. $35 hour commission.
    Sorry guys, but at this time, I can not take on a trainee.
    We are just too busy.
    I need a full blown tech that is capable [ and not intimidated ] of working on ANYTHING.
    You do not have to be a master tech.
    I can teach someone with experience.
    But I do need someone with a few years under your belt.

Confidential interviews.

Vince 225-405-5199

weaksauce

Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    I have a transmission shop in Gretna. pm me with any questions you have or if you close to the area stop on by and ask me any question. Prices will vary depending on the type of toy you are buying and type of build you desire

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    90 day warranty if I recall correctly. Funny thing, when we went to pick up the Dodge, the vehicle wouldn't back out of the bay despite the shop saying they had road tested it. Had to leave it there for a couple more days while they pulled it out and fixed it right.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you get a GM with a 60E a rebuild can be $1800-2200 to return the transmission to OE new state with a 1yr/12k mile warranty. However, if you're looking for a 4x4 toy, plan to rip the 4L60E out of any GM truck you get and replace it with an 4L80E. The 60/65/70E transmissions won't survive very long in a toy that's more than 4000ish lbs.

FYI, there's no such thing as a high-strength performance 60E series unless it's in a car. Anyone marketing a 600hp+ 60E transmission is rating that in something like a Corvette with a lot of carbon fiber parts.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom