recoil question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idkmybffjill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm thinking about picking up a .357 for home defense, but before I do I'd like to get some input regarding the recoil. I own a .45 LC Ruger Vaquero which is listed as weighing 40 oz. The recoil isn't that bad, but it's probably the most I'm comfortable with. I've shot a .44 mag revolver once, and I have no desire to do it again. My hand just can't control that kind of recoil. Shooting the .44 mag was neither accurate or safe. The .357 I'm looking at is the S&W TRR8. I like that one because I want a nightstand gun I can mount a light to, an I like that it has a more modern "tactical" look. The TRR8 weighs in at only 35.3 oz. Can anyone tell me what recoil I can expect from a .357 load in that weapon versus what I experience in my .45 Vaquero?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Almost impossible for a comparison unless you were to get a 357 Blackhawk. The single action grip is so much different that comparing a 357 single action and a 357 double action will be worlds apart.
    The 357 will have a "snappier" recoil than the 45LC. You really need to shoot one for yourself to understand. Recoil is a very subjective thing. Each individual handles it differently.

idkmybffjill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    Yeah I plan on trying out a friend's 686 .357 sometime soon. The grip of the .44 mag Blackhawk I shot was a problem because it would completely roll in my hand, and I felt like I had no control. The more ergonomic grip of the TRR8 looks like it would give a lot more control. I also noticed there's an M&P version of the TRR8 for the same price. Can't tell the difference between the two, though.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    The TRR is on the N frame, Smith's largest. Stoke it with 38 specials and recoil should be pretty tame. Muzzle flash with the 357 is pretty impressive at night, something to consider for nightstand use.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Moderate recoil on the TR8. That's the best I can describe it. Very manageable unless your bones are made of jello. It's a 35oz 5"bbl N frame .357 magnum....you shouldn't have an issue. That big ass grip it has isw what's gonna help you.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Like everyone else said the Model 327 TRR8 is a service pistol sized revolver so that should help with recoil. The recoil pulse of .357 Magnum is sharp so you'll still know that you pulled the trigger. DA revolvers and SA cowboy type guns have very different shaped frames and gripping areas.

Reading through the lines I'd say you need to be taught how to shoot a revolver the right way. I don't mean that as a put down or as a question of your masculinity. Many novices think that shooting magnum revolvers well is just a lesson in pain control. But there's more to it than that. Yes big bore fully tilt heavy magnums alway make the shooter pay a cost. But with proper techniques you can learn to minimize it and control the recoil. Magnums also have more muzzle flip and take longer to get back on target even with training. If you chose a Model 327 with a steel frame rather than the scandium framed custom shop version for lying next to the bed the recoil be even more manageable. The decreased weight of the TRR8 would be great if you were carrying it all day. You're not.

That being said you sure picked one of the finest .357 chambered revolvers currently being made. But it isn't a novices' handgun, particularly a novice revolver shooters handgun. Almost anyone can be trained how to shoot a semi automatic well in a day. Revolver take more dedication to learn trigger control in order to get maximum accuracy from them. Most novices will become frustrated with the heavy DA pull and begin using it SA at the range so they can get the accuracy the weapon is capable of delivering.

Dave

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Like everyone else said the Model 327 TRR8 is a service pistol sized revolver so that should help with recoil. The recoil pulse of .357 Magnum is sharp so you'll still know that you pulled the trigger. DA revolvers and SA cowboy type guns have very different shaped frames and gripping areas.

Reading through the lines I'd say you need to be taught how to shoot a revolver the right way. I don't mean that as a put down or as a question of your masculinity. Many novices think that shooting magnum revolvers well is just a lesson in pain control. But there's more to it than that. Yes big bore fully tilt heavy magnums alway make the shooter pay a cost. But with proper techniques you can learn to minimize it and control the recoil. Magnums also have more muzzle flip and take longer to get back on target even with training. If you chose a Model 327 with a steel frame rather than the scandium framed custom shop version for lying next to the bed the recoil be even more manageable. The decreased weight of the TRR8 would be great if you were carrying it all day. You're not.

That being said you sure picked one of the finest .357 chambered revolvers currently being made. But it isn't a novices' handgun, particularly a novice revolver shooters handgun. Almost anyone can be trained how to shoot a semi automatic well in a day. Revolver take more dedication to learn trigger control in order to get maximum accuracy from them. Most novices will become frustrated with the heavy DA pull and begin using it SA at the range so they can get the accuracy the weapon is capable of delivering.

Dave
    Pretty good post, Dave.
    Double action triggers take some time and practice. It is actually better for ME to shoot double action. Not knowing when the hammer will fall is an added bonus of the DA trigger.

idkmybffjill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    Reading through the lines I'd say you need to be taught how to shoot a revolver the right way. I don't mean that as a put down or as a question of your masculinity.

I would never take it as an insult. I'm a relatively new shooter and I'm looking for honest feedback. I appreciate the sentiment, though.

I've really enjoyed reading all the responses. At the end of the day, it's going to come down to wether I can feel safe about shooting the weapon, and I can't know that until I shoot one.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you're in the Baton Rouge area, I'd be happy to let you come with me. I'm switching to E3 from N320 gun powder for my S&W 610 I use for competition. I want to make sure the sights are still dead on before taking it to a match. As such I'll be going in the next few days. I could bring a .357 Magnum 4" barrel with me if you'd like me to do so.

Dave

idkmybffjill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    If you're in the Baton Rouge area, I'd be happy to let you come with me. I'm switching to E3 from N320 gun powder for my S&W 610 I use for competition. I want to make sure the sights are still dead on before taking it to a match. As such I'll be going in the next few days. I could bring a .357 Magnum 4" barrel with me if you'd like me to do so.

Dave

That would be great. Just let me know when you're headed to the range. I should be free all weekend. Shoot me a text at 318 286 2477.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I prefer shooting my DA revolvers over my 357 blackhawk. The shape of the grip makes it much more manageable for me, of course that will be different for everyone.

Being a big fan of the 357 I say go for it, but it will take practice to learn the trigger then more practice to shoot 357 effectively. For learning the trigger you can shoot 38 special and that is pretty easy going, once you have that nailed down you can switch to the magnums. Usually when I will go to the range it is 20% 357 and 80% 38's.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Granted, I am not a regular "revolver guy". I prefer semi-auto in general and Glock in particular.I did have occasion to shoot a Ruger .357 Magnum revolver this week for a friend before he bought it (used). I went to check it out, zero the sights and then clean it for him before he took delivery. WOW! is all I can say.

I have a .45 Taurus revolver and don't really shoot it enough, but that Ruger seemed like it kicked the Taurus' ass! On the first shot it really boomed and a flash of fire shot out the barrel! It was really cool and caught me by surprise. I had only shot the gun before with .38 loads and there was a WORLD of difference with the .357. I liked it but after about 50 rds my right palm got sore! :eek3: First time ever but the .357 was really something.

If it had been a semi, I would have bought it myself!!!

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    686= less kick:}

Yeah I plan on trying out a friend's 686 .357 sometime soon.

Great Idea...

Once you shoot the 686 you'll know..Trust me:} You'll like DAT you!!

7mnogu0bvorgqxqgkckn.png

idkmybffjill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    Just curious if you've considered a long gun for home defense?

Hadn't really thought about it. I've got a side-by-side coach gun that I've been thinking about swapping for a Mossberg, but I still think I'd still prefer a pistol as the primary HD weapon.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Hadn't really thought about it. I've got a side-by-side coach gun that I've been thinking about swapping for a Mossberg, but I still think I'd still prefer a pistol as the primary HD weapon.

I Gotcha. But you know what they say. Use your handgun to fight your way to your rifle. I'm not trying to dog your preference, to each his own. But why a handgun, and if you do choose a handgun, why a revolver? If I was using a handgun for HD I'd want as much capacity as possible. Revolvers limit that greatly. Like I said, not trying to dog you or anything, just trying to get in your mindset and maybe offer some advice if possible.

idkmybffjill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    I Gotcha. But you know what they say. Use your handgun to fight your way to your rifle. I'm not trying to dog your preference, to each his own. But why a handgun, and if you do choose a handgun, why a revolver? If I was using a handgun for HD I'd want as much capacity as possible. Revolvers limit that greatly. Like I said, not trying to dog you or anything, just trying to get in your mindset and maybe offer some advice if possible.

I'm just glad people are nice enough to respond and give their input. I feel like a handgun is just more practical and versatile compared to a rifle or shotgun. I can keep it in the nightstand without it being in plain sight (which is an issue for the Mrs.). I can stow it in the glove box when we go on road trips. If I really wanted to I could open-carry and take it everywhere.

As for revolver versus auto-loader, I have a Walther PPS as my current nightstand gun, but there are some things I don't like about it. My wife can't reliably shoot it, as she has a tendency to limp-wrist it. I've even done it a few times, and I want to know that the weapon won't malfunction. As for capacity, the TRR8 is 8-shot, which is one more than I have currently. I know I could get more from other auto-loaders, but that brings back the reliability issue.

I guess I'm not really looking for a weapon that is THE BEST at home defense, but rather something that is the best for me. Let me know if you have any pointers or advice.

Top Bottom