Recommend a Good Beer!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Check out the German Pilsners. Here's a website that talks about them: http://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/216/ (and also has some interesting info on other beer types).

Domestic German-Style Pilsners

Harpoon Pilsner (Harpoon Brewery, MA) – Well-structured, perfect mouth feel with a German-like Pilsner flare. One of the most underrated beers that Harpoon brews … this one gets our respect.

Prima Pils (Victory Brewing, PA) – Perhaps the hoppiest of the style, not only in bitterness but also flavor. Enough malt to keep the brew in balance and that fresh micro-brew taste we love. 5.3 percent alcohol by volume.

Sam Adams Golden Pilsner (Boston Beer Company, MA) – A very refreshing Pilsner with a great body and use of hops. This is one of those beers to give to a Bud drinker, just to see what they make of it. Who knows? You might convert them. 4.63 percent alcohol by volume

Sierra Nevada Summerfest (Sierra Nevada Brewing, CA) – Crisp, light to medium-bodied, malty with a spicy, tingling hop bitterness that bites right in the middle. A great brew, and quite traditional in character. 5.0 percent alcohol by volume

The Real Stuff – German-Style Pilsners

Becks (Brauerei Beck & Co.) – Jason: This beer is right up there with Heineken and other Euro lagers that have been chewed up and spit out by that stressed brewing process called pasteurization. It is what it is; there are better ones to choose from. 4.8 percent alcohol by volume

Bitburger Premium Pils (Brauerei Bitburger) – clean, crisp and a bit more bitter than other German Pils. 4.8 percent alcohol by volume

Eibecker Premium Pils (Einbecker Brauerei AG) – Todd: This beer didn’t overly impress me, but I did like it. It lacks balance in the malt department, and goes big on the hops. Still a decent beer and its hop character certainly stands out amongst the standard Pilsners on the shelves these days. 4.9 percent alcohol by volume

Pinkus Organic Ur Pils (Brauerei Pinkus) – Very interesting with raw complexities...packed with flavor and could be paired with numerous types of foods, Pan-Asian seemed to work best. A beer from the Old World that brings all of its goodness with it in the bottle. 5.2 percent alcohol by volume

Radebeger Pilsner (Binding-Brauerei AG) – An easy to drink traditional German Pils; a clean, quick, very refreshing, light session, beer that could be paired with just about any meal. Nice hopping to give the beer a spicy herbal finish. Could make for a most excellent year-round fallback beer.

St. Pauli Girl (Saint Pauli Brauerei) – A must try brew, despite those awesomely cheesy adverts and stigma on imported lagers. This is one damn fine imported Pilsner lager, and no, that’s not the t-and-a influence speaking either…4.9 percent alcohol by volume

Spaten Pils (Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu) – A classic. Liken this to a Heineken or Becks, but without the “skunky" character; much more clean and full. 5.0 percent alcohol by volume

Warsteiner Premium Verum (Brauerei Warsteiner) – A very good Pilsner to be had, a step above Beck’s for sure. Good pricing also, you can find it for around $9.99 a 12-pack. Perhaps a little too pasteurized and/or filtered, though not to the point of turning the beer into nothing. This lazy summer day Pilsner does not mind to be served ice-cold either. 4.8 percent alcohol by volume

Würzburger Hofbräu Premium Pilsner (Würzburger Hofbräu AG) – Jason: If all you want is a typical German Pilsner, I’d choose this one over any mass-marketed German Pilsner, any day of the week. Good drinking all around with lots of rustic grain and hop for the mouth to play with.

Veltins Pilsner (Brauerei Veltins) – A very refreshing Pilsner and a nice alternative to US commercial lagers and Pilsners. Not much better than the other over-hyped lagers of the world, but still not a bad brew. 4.8 percent alcohol by volume

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    Allow me to help you develop a taste for good beer. First thing to do, go to your local up-scale liquor store (seriously, they don't keep this stuff at Wal Mart). Grab two Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stouts, two Narwhal Imperial Stouts, and two Ruination IPA's. Attack in said order. Now that you've fought down some of the heaviest, hardest hitting, most flavor-packed beers you will ever have, tone it down to some regular drinking brews like AndyGator, Canebrake and LA 31 (I try to keep it local). Do this and I promise you that soon enough you will work your way back up to these more robust beers in time. It doesn't happen overnight, but its easy to get bitten by the bug.

A couple little tidbits to add: I've heard great things about Yuengling, though never had the chance to try it. A lambic is always worth a go (not a fan of fruity beers but these are quite enjoyable). Coors light is for women.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Had lunch with my mom today, drank Miller Lite after a few weeks of Abita, Sierra Nevada, and Blue Moon seasonals. Be careful, drinking the good stuff will ruin you.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Had lunch with my mom today, drank Miller Lite after a few weeks of Abita, Sierra Nevada, and Blue Moon seasonals. Be careful, drinking the good stuff will ruin you.

^ true story. I keep some Coors around basically to hydrate when I'm working outside ;), but I can't just sit down and drink that stuff...

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Foster's Lager. Crisp, clean taste when cooold.

Just please don't think of Australia while drinking it. Not a bad drop, but most of what's available over here is brewed in Texas. Plus, no matter what the commercials try to tell you, it hasn't been popular back home since the 70's.

One of my current favourite's is actually a local brew. Canebrake Louisiana wheat ale brewed in Broussard. Nice and smooth with great flavour. However when my wife allows it (and at $13 a 6 pack it's not often), my favourite that I can get here is an Aussie brew called James Boags.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Month Python's Holy Grail Ale.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    They had Chimay but it was a huge bottle and I was not going to spend $11 on something that I might not even like...
    So this is what I ended up with

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    kind of off topic, but have you ever tried a Manhattan?
    2 oz. old overholt rye whiskey (about $12-$14 a fifth) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Overholt
    1 oz. martini-rossi sweet vermouth (about $7 a bottle) http://www.thewinestop.com/martini-rossi-rosso-sweet-vermouth.html
    A splash of angostura bitters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angostura_bitters

pour over ice in a cocktail mixer, stir till chilled, strain into glass with a marchino cherry. Basically the martini of whiskey. not for the weak of heart, as drinks don't come much stiffer unless straight up. Had my first one about 4 years ago, quickly became and still is my go-to drink. Don't bother getting one on a bar, they will use a bourbon or something and it will be to weak and taste like vermouth. You need the rye to get the flavor, the vermouth just smooths it out.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    kind of off topic, but have you ever tried a Manhattan?
    2 oz. old overholt rye whiskey (about $12-$14 a fifth) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Overholt
    1 oz. martini-rossi sweet vermouth (about $7 a bottle) http://www.thewinestop.com/martini-rossi-rosso-sweet-vermouth.html
    A splash of angostura bitters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angostura_bitters

pour over ice in a cocktail mixer, stir till chilled, strain into glass with a marchino cherry. Basically the martini of whiskey. not for the weak of heart, as drinks don't come much stiffer unless straight up. Had my first one about 4 years ago, quickly became and still is my go-to drink. Don't bother getting one on a bar, they will use a bourbon or something and it will be to weak and taste like vermouth. You need the rye to get the flavor, the vermouth just smooths it out.

IMO, THE whiskey cocktail is the old fashioned.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom