Recommendations for Black Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retreaux

old enough to know better
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Prairie Bosse
    I am looking to buy one in the near future. Any suggestions in the $1500 - $2000 range? Also, I understand the difference between the gas vs. piston systems, but which is "best". This will be my first rifle - have a few hand guns.
    Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    You could get a nice Daniel Defense with a good optic in that price range. That would be my choice if that were my budget. I am not familiar with all of the different models that are produced by DD, but some others can guide you on what model would best suite you. The rifles seem to run in the $1200-$1400 range which would leave you $600-$800 for a nice optic and you will more than likely have some $ left over for some ammo.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    images
    Black and proud.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am looking to buy one in the near future. Any suggestions in the $1500 - $2000 range? Also, I understand the difference between the gas vs. piston systems, but which is "best". This will be my first rifle - have a few hand guns.
    Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

For 2 grand, you should have no problem getting a kick ass rifle.

What do you want to use it for? What caliber? Are you talking about an AR platform or are you open to other options?

Here's a few sweet pieces:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3094

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2888

http://www.advanced-armament.com/300-BLK-Upper-16-Barrel_p_463.html

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Carbine-Rifle-308-Cal----SA58C16/productinfo/SA58C16/

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1186.aspx

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I will shoot it at the range. But it is mainly to have it. Thinking .223/5.56. What do y'all think of the Sig 556?

Buddy of mine has one. Not impressed. I'll take my DD m4v7 any day of the week. You're paying for the Sig Sauer name. Still a good rifle, but nothing special.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    For $2000, I would catch a sale and get two complete 16 inch midlengths from Bravo company.

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk because AT&T 4G sucks majorly.

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    On the higher end of your budget ... I would go with a SCAR 16 Or ACR. You get piston with the latest technology.
    Plus cool Factor. Of course all of the Recomendations above are good too....

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What's your intended use for this thing? And perhaps more specifically-- what's important to you? (Durability, functionality, "cool factor", accuracy, light weight, etc.)

That's about the only pertinent response that I can think of-- though it's good to know your price point in advance.

Just preemptively, since it's your first and I suspect I know the answer... Since you're willing to drop the coin (buy once, cry once), Daniel Defense, Bravo Company or Noveske are the only three I'd bother considering.

Unless you're admittedly lazy and plan on shooting a bunch of ammo up, very quickly and very frequently, without wanting to sully your hands afterwards with cleaning... Maybe consider a piston gun. Staying "cool and clean" in the bolt carrier area is about all it does better than a DI gun, and despite what many people would have you believe... That really doesn't mean squat (if anything) in terms of keeping the gun running.

It will however be heavier (especially at the front end), have not-so-standard parts, provide more sight upset, run the risk of suffering problems inherent to taking a gun that was designed one way and trying to make it work another, and eat up more of your budget that could otherwise have gone to optics, mags, ammo, etc.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom