Recommendations for dSLR camera for a beginner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Nikon is backward, Canon is correct. I haven't shot in a while but buy once cry once, stick with original manufacturer lenses and get UV filter to help protect the coatings. I have always had better life/performance from original manufacturer vs third party. She should be the one test driving these because she will be the end user.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Nikon is backward, Canon is correct. I haven't shot in a while but buy once cry once, stick with original manufacturer lenses and get UV filter to help protect the coatings. I have always had better life/performance from original manufacturer vs third party. She should be the one test driving these because she will be the end user.

How did you reach this conclusion?

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I started shooting with Nikon film cameras then went to Canon then started shooting digital Canon, then switched to Nikon. IIRC Nikon's lens mount locks in the opposite direction, cards are inserted in the opposite direction, zoom is opposite and backwards. Its been a few years tho, the whole backwards-correct is personal IDK.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You are correct. But when you said "backwards" I thought you meant they were developing their technology in the wrong direction.

I shoot Nikon and everytime I pick up a 1DX I feel like its ass-backwards and whatnot because I'm used to Nikon.

To each their own. It's like coke vs pepsi with Nikon vs Canon.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The most common misconception is that if one owns an expensive camera, it will take better photographs. That is BS, it all comes down to light, composition and opportunity. Modern point and shoots will take breathtaking photographs if you know what your doing, or just get lucky.

If you really want to learn photography, learn the principles first, then worry about the gear.

Rockwell has some nice, well written advice, I also like http://www.dpreview.com/. They have great up to date reviews and a pretty good forum.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Is Cannon the industry standard?

Yes Canon focuses in the "right" direction. It doesn't make a difference if you just use autofocus but 99% of my work is manual focus and its maddening to focus a Nikon lens that turns in the opposite direction from every lens I have used in my entire life.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yes Canon focuses in the "right" direction. It doesn't make a difference if you just use autofocus but 99% of my work is manual focus and its maddening to focus a Nikon lens that turns in the opposite direction from every lens I have used in my entire life.

Ok, so just personal opinion then? Every lens I've used my entire life focuses in the direction of Nikon, so in my opinion Canon is backwards from the industry standard. I didn't know if you meant something else.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, so just personal opinion then? Every lens I've used my entire life focuses in the direction of Nikon, so in my opinion Canon is backwards from the industry standard. I didn't know if you meant something else.

Focus direction is not an opinion. If you consider professional ENG and cinema lenses to be the standard then Nikon is backwards. It's pretty simple. There are other things backwards on a Nikon. The exposure compensation scale has plus on the left, negative on the right. The lens mount goes the wrong way (gets me every time). The zoom ring, too.

http://www.nickcarverphotography.com/blog/nikon-is-backwards/

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Focus direction is not an opinion. If you consider professional ENG and cinema lenses to be the standard then Nikon is backwards. It's pretty simple. There are other things backwards on a Nikon. The exposure compensation scale has plus on the left, negative on the right. The lens mount goes the wrong way (gets me every time). The zoom ring, too.

Here we go. Another example of a man in the actual industry making a living in the industry speaking about his first hand observations being question by an I-SME

Don't worry teddy they do it to a few people on here all the time.

I can only assume he took a camera class and learned it all there

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Here we go. Another example of a man in the actual industry making a living in the industry speaking about his first hand observations being question by an I-SME

Don't worry teddy they do it to a few people on here all the time.

I can only assume he took a camera class and learned it all there

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

He told me Canon focuses in the right direction. I asked if that was just his opinion or if there was more to it, and he answered me giving more information. Reread the thread if you're still confused.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge

Thanks, didn't know if you were saying Canon was industry standard or if other equipment focuses in the "right" way.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La

Ok, chad. Post what cameras you use, all of them.

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    It's really not a big deal. There are things I like about Nikon lenses better. The manual iris control is way better than the electronic control on a Canon because you can use the lens even if it's not powered. Also, Duclose Lenses makes cool stepless conversions for Nikon lenses that are impossible with Canon lenses.

For the beginner it's all pretty irrelevant. My first DSLR was actually a Pentax because at the time I was shooting with a Pentax 6x7 medium format film camera and I could use my medium format Pentax lenses on that Pentax DSLR. I used the hell out of that DSLR and made some great images until a tripod toppled over and destroyed it. From there I bought a used Canon system from a photographer buddy because he offered me a good deal with monthly payments.

Today, I usually use cameras that are given to me for specific shoots. Nikon, Canon, Sony, it really doesn't matter to me. Right now I am using Arri Alexa with Panavision glass which is pretty freaking awesome.

Top Bottom