Recommended Mossberg 500 "Home Defense" Mods?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    Recently found an "almost functioning" Mossberg 500 12GA in the barn with all of the other old gun parts (now purchased by BigJakeWelch and sugarbug). "Almost functioning" means it is missing the safety switch on the top of the receiver, and the slide is frozen up. However, I think it can be made to work again. At least BigJake assures me it can, and I have the utmost faith in his gunsmithing voodoo magic. :D

Here are my questions, assuming I want to make this a "home defense" style gun:
    1) What are the "essential" modifications that you would recommend? (barrel length, attachments, sights, etc.)
    2) What type of ammo would you recommend loading for home defense? Why?
    3) It has the old wooden stock and forearm - seem to structurally sound - replace with the tactical resin stuff or is there a "rubberized" paint that I could just paint them with?
    4) Anything else I'm missing here that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    For "home defense" style gun:

1) What are the "essential" modifications that you would recommend? (barrel length, attachments, sights, etc.)

Shortest barrel available. 16". You want maneuverability.
    Multiple-mode flashlight, preferably with high/low/strobe, or just a basic tactical light.
    Sights aren't completely necessary. You simply don't have the range with buckshot to warrant rapid-acquisition @ 25+ yards.

2) What type of ammo would you recommend loading for home defense? Why?

Depends on your school of thought. ALWAYS use 2 3/4' shells for capacity and lower recoil.

1) Stop'em DEAD. NOW. =
    #1 buckshot (16 pellets, ~.30cal, penetrates to 12inches) is the ideal choice, IMO.
    00 buckshot (9 pellets, larger, little more penetration.) is a very common, also excellent choice.

2) Penetration concerns: Birdshot, +/- followed by buckshot in the tube.
    I cannot recommend this. "Stopping power" just simply isn't there, compared to buckshot.
    Wounds are shallow and bloody (unless he's wearing winter clothing)
    Very low chance of incapacitation.

3) NEVER slugs as a first go-to. Keep them in a side saddle if you feel like you'd need to penetrate a target during a more extended fight.
    Slugs do not deliver the same energy levels into the target. They penetrate and keep on moving.

3) It has the old wooden stock and forearm - seem to structurally sound - replace with the tactical resin stuff or is there a "rubberized" paint that I could just paint them with?

Stock is of your own preference. I like adjustable. I have the 500 "persuader", with stock+pistol.
    Just do NOT go pistol-grip-only. Recoil is out of control for reliable HD.

4) Anything else I'm missing here that you would suggest?

Learn to switch ammo quickly, using a "pump n' dump" type of technique.
    Bead-only sights typically hit high at home defense ranges.
    Practice maneuvers.
    Know what's behind your target.
    YOU MUST AIM. The spread isn't enough at HD distances to blindly "point". Without care, you can and WILL miss.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Slow your roll.
    Minimum barrel length is 18" with an overall length of 26" unless you get a stamp.
    #4 buck is nasty!
    Aside from that carry on!

Last edited:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    MrFelix
    Lemme know if you run into any snags getting the safety for that shotty. A few years ago I had the forethought to order a six-pack of the blued steel ones complete with spring and bearing, due to mossberg deciding this was a licensed gunsmith only item. I've replaced all of my plastic safeties with them and have one left.

MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    Thanks for the detailed reply senseiturtle. Sounds like some good advice from someone who knows shottys (the 16.5" barrel comment scared me a bit, though.)
    Glad you mentioned the "2 3/4," "no slug" and "no pistol grip" ideas. I had been thoughtfully considering both of those issues. I had already thrown out both of those ideas (in spite of strong urgings from a local "gun store commando" acquaintance of mine). I don't have forearms like Popeye and my wrists are the size of 4"x4"s, so...yeah.

This sounds dumb in retrospect, but I hadn't thought about "practicing maneuvers." Makes sense.
    Also never thought about practicing the "pump n dump" technique...I not a cop or Marine, so I'm assuming there are YouTube videos somewhere that explain it in detail...

Again, thanks for the great reply.

Can you recommend any particular brands of tac lights & rail systems, or are they all pretty much the same?

MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    Slow your roll.
    Minimum barrel length is 18" with an overall length of 26" unless you get a stamp.
    #4 buck is nasty!
    Aside from that carry on!

Thanks for the reply! #4 buck, huh? I'll put that in my "test fire" list. There's a lot of Styrofoam plates that are about to meet their maker in the interest of finding the best pattern...

MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    MrFelix
    Lemme know if you run into any snags getting the safety for that shotty. A few years ago I had the forethought to order a six-pack of the blued steel ones complete with spring and bearing, due to mossberg deciding this was a licensed gunsmith only item. I've replaced all of my plastic safeties with them and have one left.

Ok! Cool! BigJakeWelch is working on it for me, getting it functional. I'll mention it to him. PM me with the price?

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Just keep me on your Christmas card list, and maybe catch me at one of the I-12 exits between Hammond and Baton Rouge one day. I'm working nights this weekend, so I'll be to and fro til Monday morning

josh62685

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    houma, la
    I have light, reciever mounted shell holder and blackhawk stock with pistol grip. I have it loaded with segmenting slugs. they break into 3 sections upon impact.

MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    I have light, reciever mounted shell holder and blackhawk stock with pistol grip. I have it loaded with segmenting slugs. they break into 3 sections upon impact.

Yeah, it looks like the "elastic" shell holders are preferred over the plastic ones...people say they hold better and don't rattle? I'll check out the blackhawk stock. And those segmenting slugs sound interesting.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have the all pistol grip on my HD shotgun and with practice its not hard to get good shots with it. Even my 130 lb 5'10 fiancee can shoot it with little to no discomfort after practicing different techniques.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I have a 500 with an 18.5" barrel and an 870 with a 20" barrel that are the exact same overall length. Maneuverability is paramount. I would say a light that you can actually use would be a "must have" for a HD shotgun. Other than that, keep it simple. Pattern it with some good ammo and pick what works best in it and stick with that.

Some other things to consider. A good sling is nice. I use the Troy 2 point sling. Some people love slings, some don't for HD shotguns. Some people want to be able to sling it to transition to a pistol if the need arises. Others feel that just dropping an empty long gun n an HD situation is the way to go. No right answer there IMO. That's a personal choice.

Side saddles. Again, some love them, some hate them. I have a Tac Star on my 500 and 590 and a Mesa on my 870. I like them and can load them faster than from a pocket or bandoleer. Other people think they throw off balance or get in the way. Again, personal choice.

The 500 is a great shotgun. Just keep it simple until you get to know what YOU prefer.

Last edited:

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    "2) What type of ammo would you recommend loading for home defense? Why?"

i really like the way 2 3/4" #4 buck patterns in my sawed off 12 ga at short distance(10 yards). its the federal #4 with 30 something pellets. can't find it anymore though. why? cause im going for head shot in case intruder is wearing armor. i won't miss.

Top Bottom