Red Dot on a Lever action? you crazy!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Hows this? "Neva' been done before" Red dot on a lever action?. Picked this marlin 336 up from a member here some time ago. It had some light rust in the blueing, so I sent it out, and just got it back from "Mahovski's Metalife." I threw on a Bushnell Trs-25, Yes I know the base hangs off the back a little, I purposely mounted it that way so the TRS-25 would get a full bite on the Weaver 63B rail, instead of getting a partial bite using the other cross slot. If you have ever seen the Aimpoint videos of the bore hunting in Hungary, Zero magnification red dots on bolt action rifles, both eyes open, shooting at moving targets was my thought process behind this setup. yeah I know it has been done before, but here is my rendition. Zeroing the dot at 100 yards was a chore, the eyes are not what they used to be.

MikeM

ThatGuyMikeM
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Hammond, LA
    I personally think lever action rifles are fun to just shoot around at the house. Iron sights, or a red dot. I don't like scopes on them too much, since the 30-30 isn't a super long range round anyway. I have a pre-safety 336, and a little cheap red dot from academy. I need a new mount though.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    That's a really nice looking rifle. Scopes, red dots.....whatever it takes to make the shot. I prefer to hit what I am aiming at rather than look good missing.

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    Well, I put one on a bolt action, why not?

PICT0021-1.jpg

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't see the problem with doing it. I just wish they'd make some that looked like they belonged on a lever gun more than an AR.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I like it. I've been considering sending a 1895 to grizzly custom guns to turn it into a short fast brush gun which would be perfect for a red dot.

Keep you're screws tight.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Very nice!

I'd be tempted to mount a light weight ghost ring behind the red dot. With the rail on there you probably can't get to your rear iron. Plus having irons functional through the red dot would be nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom