Red Jacket AR15's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    You will NEVER find in ANY of my posts where I have said they don't make QUALITY products. Not even once.

I'm not attempting to bash them. All I have asked is WHAT MAKES IT QUALITY? Thats all I want to know.

And NOBODY so far has been able to answer that question. It's all been people such as yourself defending them, cause I DARE question the almighty.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Guys, ya'll know i kinda have the run of the place. I know some things, and I don't know others.
    (mainly because there are a couple different models, and I don't care about, and hate AR's)

I know they make some stuff in house, and I know some manufracturings are farmed out.

I know some are completely assembled in house, I don't know about all of them.

It's something anyway...

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you're going to buy six of them, head down to RJF directly and ask them.

A few members of BS work at RJF, maybe they'll chime in.

Edit: Nomad, 2nd already did.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Just like I'm still waiting for one of them to answer why a $800 1911 costs $1700.

What makes it an $800 1911, why do some kimber 1911's cost $1400, what about a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, nighThawk, STI. What about those name brands, I would think the components in the gun bring up the price, along with fit and finish. I look at it this way I don't think Will turns out anything but 1st class quality and products, after all it's his name on the line backed up by a lifetime warranty on anything they build.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Veed, if you had read my original post about this subject, you would see where I used the same examples you just gave.

I'm dropping it. I have nothing to gain or lose, so why even bother.

Next thing you know I'll be the next MEM around here. They'll be armed with pitchforks and torches coming after me.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    If they were really concerned about turning out a quality product, instead of capitalizing on the unwashed masses who will blindly purchase something cause it has their name stamped on it, they would gladly take the time to explain anything anyone would like to know.

No one ever said they wouldn't! The OP was referring to a employee in a gun store that obviously didn't know squat.

All Star

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Baton Rouge, La
    Guys, thank you for all the responses and help. I'm 100% sure that RJF is putting out a quality product, that was never an issue. It was also never an issue for whatever price they were charging, I never even asked the guy at the store, just figured they'd be fairly priced to make a good profit for a good weapon.

Again, thanks for all your help, and looks like I'll give them a call monday to see how I can line up an order, and possibly just pick up from the store.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have the first one available to the public and I cant say anything bad about mine. I put a Vortex SPARC red dot on it and was just testing some loads with it yesterday.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Guys, thank you for all the responses and help. I'm 100% sure that RJF is putting out a quality product, that was never an issue. It was also never an issue for whatever price they were charging, I never even asked the guy at the store, just figured they'd be fairly priced to make a good profit for a good weapon.

Again, thanks for all your help, and looks like I'll give them a call monday to see how I can line up an order, and possibly just pick up from the store.

Academy sells the same model, I'd check with them.

JP762

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    River Ridge
    I've heard bad things, and i've heard good things..

If I had the $$$ I'd just get a Daniel Defense, LWRC, BCM, etc. That's alot of coin to unload in "faith". My $0.02.

It seems you're buying the name now, and like anything else, the bigger they get the more orders they have to fill, the more contracts they get etc, all these things lead to QC going down, especially to civilian models.. I'd love range time with some of their products.

Last edited:

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    You will NEVER find in ANY of my posts where I have said they don't make QUALITY products. Not even once.

I'm not attempting to bash them. All I have asked is WHAT MAKES IT QUALITY? Thats all I want to know.

And NOBODY so far has been able to answer that question. It's all been people such as yourself defending them, cause I DARE question the almighty.

Actually your statement had a qualifier. Therefore that is exactly what you were doing. By assumptions you have made of ther inaction you're stating that they in fact do not put out quality product since they do not meet your qualifier.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I saw one Tuesday at the academy on airline hwy. And it was not in hold for anybody. I Think leadfoot had a legitimate question and so did the OP. I would like to know what was made in house and what was contracted out. If it is all made in house and not contracted our then I would say maybe it is worth the money

Last edited:

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    I just stopped at the Academy in Elmwood to ask about The RJF AR15s and the guy behind the gun counter told me "We got a lot of pistols in the case, but I ain't heard of that one yet"

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Having a lifetime warranty is nice but its not unique. Most manufacturese will repair or replace inoperable products at their cost if you ask them to and it wasn't caused by your negligence. All of these threads about RJ Guns are laden with emotional responses. I don't care how cool Will is or how rad the show is or how local they are. Look at their rifle, compare it to rifles that cost the same give or take $100 and its lacking. That doesn't mean Will is a crook. It doesn't mean I hate America, it doesn't mean im a meanie it's just a statemnt of fact based on learned observation. I have said several times good on RJF, I hope they make a mint, but let's not pander to them because they are local and on TV. Im sure they want the substance of their products judged on that substance not on the emotional appeal.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I saw one Tuesday at the academy on airline hwy. And it was not in hold for anybody. I Think leadfoot had a legitimate question and so did the OP. I would like to know what was made in house and what was contracted out. If it is all made in house and not contracted our then I would say maybe it is worth the money

From what I understood when I ordered mine everything is made in house except for the Magpul stuff. At least, that's what the sales lady on the phone told me.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Having a lifetime warranty is nice but its not unique. Most manufacturese will repair or replace inoperable products at their cost if you ask them to and it wasn't caused by your negligence. All of these threads about RJ Guns are laden with emotional responses. I don't care how cool Will is or how rad the show is or how local they are. Look at their rifle, compare it to rifles that cost the same give or take $100 and its lacking. That doesn't mean Will is a crook. It doesn't mean I hate America, it doesn't mean im a meanie it's just a statemnt of fact based on learned observation. I have said several times good on RJF, I hope they make a mint, but let's not pander to them because they are local and on TV. Im sure they want the substance of their products judged on that substance not on the emotional appeal.

BAZINGA, somebody with cojones ..............

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Actually your statement had a qualifier. Therefore that is exactly what you were doing. By assumptions you have made of ther inaction you're stating that they in fact do not put out quality product since they do not meet your qualifier.

Actually, you're wrong. I was questioning their motive, not their quality.

And ole Vanilla Gorilla summed up my point of view on it pretty well. If RJF makes good products, then I hope they all become millionaires and enjoy all the fruits that come with it. And if they're just turning out crap to sell to people cause they're on TV, it will show up sooner or later.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    From what I understood when I ordered mine everything is made in house except for the Magpul stuff. At least, that's what the sales lady on the phone told me.

That would be extremely rare. MANY major manufacturers, including some of the big and quality names, source out parts here and there. Some don't-- and they are typically found at the top of the quality list.

Most include receivers and barrels in that list, FYI-- I'm fairly certain I read that RJF is casting their own of the former, but I doubt they're turning their own versions of the latter. Anyone "new to the AR-producing game" is almost certainly outsourcing for some parts, and if not... I'd be leery.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    That would be extremely rare. MANY major manufacturers, including some of the big and quality names, source out parts here and there. Some don't-- and they are typically found at the top of the quality list.

Most include receivers and barrels in that list, FYI-- I'm fairly certain I read that RJF is casting their own of the former, but I doubt they're turning their own versions of the latter. Anyone "new to the AR-producing game" is almost certainly outsourcing for some parts, and if not... I'd be leery.

Very true. There are only a handful of foundries for receivers and a handful of places that do the machining (but if your order is big enough or you have enough money, they will put your roll mark on them). Few make their own barrels and they tend to be larger companies. Others buy blanks and have others do the profiling, rifling, and threading. I highly doubt RJF makes most of their parts in the rifles, but they may tweak or reprofile a few things here or there, possibly do the refinishing, then assemble & test the rifles before shipping.

Anyone that claims they make everything in house, that isn't an established big time AR manufacturer (even those don't do the raw forgings of receivers), I'd call BS and tell them to prove it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom