Red Jacket Range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daimyo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2007
    I have or rather shot at this range regularly, until Will decided to take it private, I don’t what the current policy is now, but when I went there, I was informed that the drivers license, and credit card would be copied and kept on file and some type of criminal and or background check was required. If I brought a guest they would not be allowed to shoot unless all of the list info was obtained on them also. I have been to private ranges as a member and as a guest and this was way too much info. If the gangsters where shooting up the place then by all means, wait till they shoot dry and kick their butts out. I personally did not care if Will was moody, not a people person, I came there to get some trigger time and leave. The location was great for me.

But what really pissed me off was Will and staff with the exception of his wife or daughter unless he was in earshot, was I don’t think he was really too happy about blacks/afro-americans in the place in first place. I have gone there and informed I had to use their targets and later that week, the female stating use what I had as long as they were full sized. Several incidents stand out, such as I filled out the preshoot paperwork, listen to the speech and several non-colored individuals came in and filled out paperwork and went on to the range, another time I was shooting and somebody in another lane double tapped, who does Will (who was on the range) come and talk to. He was polite, but it would not have bothered me as much if he had walked the lanes and spoke to all the shooters, but I guess he made his point.

Myself and most of the individuals that shot there with me, were b/m, over 35, law enforcement reserves and nra instructors.

Y.T.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Central
    I had a few of my vietnamese friends feel descriminated when they went there too. I wasn't there so I can't comment on what happened but they felt they were not allowed to shoot b/c they were vietnamese.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    As Will has said publicly on this forum, the range is maintained mostly for him to test the weapons he builds. He hesitantly puts up with the public coming there to shoot and doesn't really care if you like the rules or not. It's his range and those are the rules. Don't like it, go to Precision across town. You can do whatever you want there.

I don't regularly shoot there, but I was glad he has the range to test out my silencer and other Title II weapons until I can take them home.

One incident that happened to me, a round from my .45 ricocheted of the backstop and hit the wires holding the target carrier causing it all to come crashing down. I was scared to death Will was going to kill me or at the very least charge me for the destroyed lane but he was very polite and said it happens all the time. I was shooting slow-fire at about 5 yards and grouping in the center of his supplied target so the ricochet was most definitely not my fault (unless it's my fault I pulled the trigger).

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    In Will's defense, I have been there on multiple occasions and heard horror stories from Will himself about people intentionally causing damage to his range. So I can't say that I blame him for wanting background checks or the information in case one ruins his range. Although I haven't made it out to his range in a while, I do intend to use him for some transfers later on down the line!

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Like the man said before, and I qoute

Sorry you had to listen to , and even read ,the rules . If you wanted bullseye target's , we keep a bunch of them on the rack with the other , large ones . 6 bullseye's to a target . Guess you didn't see them . You're not FORCED to buy my target's , but we do require that the bullseye be 10 inch's from the top to the target . Guess you missed that sign , sorry . Glad you where able to find yourself a place to shoot where you can do what you want . Everyone who walks through my door is armed , and a potential accident , hence , "scrutinized" , I guess it does bother some . Guns going off in my store bother me , so I guess we all have our cross's to bear . Thanks for the suggestion's , I have thought about shutting it down to the public , but I do have a couple hundred really good folks a week who roll through regularly that I just don't want to pull the rug out from under . So I guess I'll be keeping it open.
    I don't even pretend to be a "people person" , which is why I try to keep somebody else at the counter . If your feathers got ruffled because you weren't properly "stroked" , well .... , but , I am straight , if you feel I was just plain hard on you for no reason at all , well walk in the door and tell me . If I think you got even half a case , then I'll apologise right there . If I don't , well , you're pissed anyway , so I don't think much would change . Will

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    $50 a pop....have at it....:crazy:

I believe registered weapons go a little higher than that and I have to go through either an SOT or a dealer who is willing to work with me. I REFUSE to give a dime of my money to Belsco, so that leaves Custom Gun Works and Barney's in Lafayette. Since Will manufactures some of his own suppressors, I figured that could potentially be easier since he is a stocking dealer. Basically, whoever can get the goods in my S-Corp's hands the quickest will get my business:D

Crap, I just remembered that I need to have my annual stockholder's meeting to discuss the results of operations for 2007 and form the 2008 business plan. Argh.

ETA: I have had way worse dealings with Belsco than anyone has ever had with Will on his worst day.
    Strike 1: I was made to feel extremely unwelcome in the store because I was not a law enforcement officer and was even flat out told by the OWNER that he didn't sell to Civilians. That is just the abbreviated version of the story and it pissed me off!

Strike 2: I tried to join the Hub City Rifle Range with a recommendation from the owner of Lafayette Shooters but the A-Hole at BELSCO, who was in charge of memberships at the time, would not return my phone calls or emails. Again, an abbreviated version, but he pissed me off so much that I used to recommend Barney's to police departments when I did governmental consulting!

I guess the moral of my BELSCO story is be careful of who you **** off, because it can cost you more than just that one sale!

Last edited:

daimyo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2007
    Gruff Will

Lets mark it clear, I could care less if Will is not a people person, yes it is his range and his rules, no problem there either, never stated I had a problem with the safety speech, I clearly stated that Will seems to have or had issues with people that dont look like him and I gave several incidents, there were others. All of you individuals that love the man and the fact you can shoot your suppressed weapons and other class II accessories or class III weapons, if you did not like look like Will, and he was not being a people person while buying his products, I dont think he would get the sale.

It is easy to say thats just Will, when you do not see people that look like him being treated differantly for infractions.

I purchase high end pistols and rifles and shotgun yearly but I would not spend a penny more than lane rental with the man. When He first opened the place, he was more happy to see someone come in and shoot.

If some is danmaging your equiment, then by all means ban that person and make them pay for the repairs. I happened to be shooting one evening when someone with a full auto opened up and a fire broke out behind the backstop. I saw that individual back later several weeks later, so dont give the Will was upset because of damage to the range.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Lets mark it clear, I could care less if Will is not a people person, yes it is his range and his rules, no problem there either, never stated I had a problem with the safety speech, I clearly stated that Will seems to have or had issues with people that dont look like him and I gave several incidents, there were others. All of you individuals that love the man and the fact you can shoot your suppressed weapons and other class II accessories or class III weapons, if you did not like look like Will, and he was not being a people person while buying his products, I dont think he would get the sale.

I'm confused. I'm also Black. Is Will black ? What, in english are you getting at ?

It is easy to say thats just Will, when you do not see people that look like him being treated differantly for infractions.

I'm also bald. Will is not. Still didn't treat me any different

I purchase high end pistols and rifles and shotgun yearly but I would not spend a penny more than lane rental with the man. When He first opened the place, he was more happy to see someone come in and shoot.

If some is danmaging your equiment, then by all means ban that person and make them pay for the repairs. I happened to be shooting one evening when someone with a full auto opened up and a fire broke out behind the backstop. I saw that individual back later several weeks later, so dont give the Will was upset because of damage to the range.

I guess I just don't understand your point. If you think someone treats you bad for ANY reason why would you deal with them ? Why would you even bother to make a post on the retard net about it ? Suck it up and move on if you don't like it.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying you are like this only using examples I have seen. I'm a conservative white male and I do judge people by the way they look and act not their color. Call me old school but even the older black men call some of their own knuckle heads. I have no respect for white G types either. I too had to endure the rules speech and copying of my ID and credit card check. When I renewed my membership for the second year I had to refill out an abbreviated form of the paper work but we skipped the speech. Could it be possible some of these persons you stated breezed by had been or were renewing their memberships?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Well slap my momma. I got an email from Will last week stating he had just moved. He didn't mention anything about new management at the range though. I hope things go well for Diamond Training.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    As soon as anyone discovers if there are any new rules please let us know ASAP. I am specifically interested to know if they will allow rapid fire and drawing as well as using your own targets.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    As soon as anyone discovers if there are any new rules please let us know ASAP. I am specifically interested to know if they will allow rapid fire and drawing as well as using your own targets.

They do not allow Rapid Fire, I'm not sure about the targets...

Will seems pretty cool, he's offered to let me shoot some of his guns, in a post somewhere on this forum, but I haven't taken him up on it.

I don't shoot there b/c of the no rapid fire rule

-and-

Sometimes bullets ricochet back at you in his lanes, had this happen a few times and I've only shot there a couple times. I know this can happen anywhere, and maybe he's got enough lead on the backdrop now to prevent it...but I'm not down with lead flying back at me.

I shoot at Sherburn, its free...outside, 50 & 100yrd ranges, rapid fire all you want, blow stuff up if you want.

As far as Will goes, he seems grumpy but he also seems like he's a no-nonsense honest, hard working, high quality gunsmith...he's earned the right to be grumpy.

Top Bottom