Regarding large fixed blades,

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    you can open carry a gun so I don't think a sword would be any more dangerous. Now this is not to say you will not get harassed everywhere you go for walking around with it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Is there any way it's legal to carry the tanto shown here:
    http://www.coldsteel.com/japanwarrior.html
    in Louisiana?

I know it's a bit overkill as a carry, but better safe than sorry, eh?

You want to walk around in public with this pig stikker hanging from you........and wonder if it's legal....
    The law is not the problem, the local po po will be, and when one of the squirely ones charges you with some off the wall crime, remember , You are paying his lawyer ....and yours

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    NOLACOP must have took ill. This thread is right up his a$$, I mean, alley. All of a sudden, he dropped off the board. Maybe he's having a hissy fit, or got mobilized in place of Steven Segal.

He's brushing up on sword disassembling techniques and salivating over the possibility of meeting up with the OP. ;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Louisiana law states that you can not have a concealed knife with a blade length more than 5".

You may want to check your facts before you make statements like that.

You are wrong.

Please provide references to where you found this "5" inch thing, or ask questions instead of attempting to providing answers.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Is there any way it's legal to carry the tanto shown here:
    http://www.coldsteel.com/japanwarrior.html
    in Louisiana?

I know it's a bit overkill as a carry, but better safe than sorry, eh?

Open carry is definitely legal.
    Concealed carry COULD be illegal depending on the circumstances, officer, knife, you, jurisdiction, temperature, etc.

BOTH will most likely result in additional attention from LE and others.

Questions:
    1.What is your rationale for carrying this as a weapon?
    2. Do you have knife fighting training?
    3. Is there an age or legal issue restricting you from considering a gun as a more realistic option?

vega

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Dude, that's an awesome deal for a good 3pc set!!!

tl;dr but it's a pretty good deal

You can expect almost EVERY LEO who sees you to stop you and demand identification, ask your business, and question as to why you are carrying a large fixed bladed knife. Expect that to become more aggressive, or less, on where you are observed carrying it. Not the body location, physical locale you find yourself in.

Is that right? Arguably not. Is it gonna happen? You bet.

Because I'm japanese crocodile dundee?

NOLACOP must have took ill. This thread is right up his a$$, I mean, alley. All of a sudden, he dropped off the board. Maybe he's having a hissy fit, or got mobilized in place of Steven Segal.

lololol steven segal

He's brushing up on sword disassembling techniques and salivating over the possibility of meeting up with the OP. ;)

you'll never catch me alive, etc

Open carry is definitely legal.
    Concealed carry COULD be illegal depending on the circumstances, officer, knife, you, jurisdiction, temperature, etc.

BOTH will most likely result in additional attention from LE and others.

Questions:
    1.What is your rationale for carrying this as a weapon?
    2. Do you have knife fighting training?
    3. Is there an age or legal issue restricting you from considering a gun as a more realistic option?

1. My dad's been carrying a knife ever since I was a kid, and nags me to do so, so i figure i'd be a total badass while i do. Also, I'm an anime/manga lover. My default smug grin warrants needing protection.
    2. My childhood taught me.
    3. No, not really. I'm just not a very realistic person. Also, guns are loud as all hell.

sorry for idling so long

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    Not to steal the thread, but since we're talking knives, according to Benchmade and other sites, it is legal for Law Enforcement and Rescue/EMS to carry Spring Assisted Knives.
    Quote from Benchmade's site:

Federal regulations (see below) restrict the sale of automatic knives to anyone other than Military, Federal Law Enforcement, Law Enforcement, Fire, Rescue and EMT personnel with acceptance of the "Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgement Form" . There are exceptions for those that live in the state of *Oregon.

And the law they post:
    FEDERAL CODES-
    18 USC 1716 (G) (2) (1-4) provides this summary: Switchblade knives can be shipped to civilian and armed forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal government ordering or procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with activities in the Federal government; to supply or procurement officers in the National Guard, the Air National Guard or militia of the state or territory of the District of Columbia ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such organizations; to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any state or territory of any county, city, or other political subdivision of a state or territory ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government.
    15 USC 1244 provides in summary: Knives can be shipped by common carrier, that sale, transportation or distribution, possession or introduction into interstate commerce of switchblade knives is authorized if it is pursuant to a contract with the armed forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his or her duty may possess switchblade knives any may have them shipped to him and sold to him or her. The possession and transportation upon his or her person of a switchblade knife or a blade 3 inches or less is authorized to any handicapped individual who has the use of only one arm.

And according to Louisiana Law:
    LA R.S. 14:95
    A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:
    (4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.
    (b) The provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply to:
    G. (1) The provisions of this Section except Paragraph (4) of Subsection A shall not apply to sheriffs and their deputies, state and city police, constables and town marshals, or persons vested with police power when in the actual discharge of official duties. These provisions shall not apply to sheriffs and their deputies and state and city police who are not actually discharging their official duties, provided that such persons are full time, active, and certified by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training and have on their persons valid identification as duly commissioned law enforcement officers.

Now I did not post the entire law, only the portion that refers to the carrying of Spring Assisted Knives according to La Law. So by state law, No person including LEO's can own or posses a spring assisted knife.

If Federal Law does allow for the use of a spring assisted knife by LEO/Fire/EMS, then my question is which law takes precedence? State or Federal? I know the answer from most will be State, but our current administration is making it very clear that Federal Laws take precedence over state laws. Knife dealers around here do not sell auto opening blades of any kind, but you can go to any safety supply store and purchase auto openers and they are quick to point out Federal Regulation and ask for your ID or which agency you work for. Present an EMS License or Police/Fire Credential and you walk out the door with an auto opening knife. Every cop I know carries an auto opener and most Fire/EMS personnel as well. We discussed the state law a while back with some higher up LEO's and they laughed and said the state would have to justify their case in court if it came down to it.

Opinions?

Could make for an interesting case if a uniformed officer was pointed out in a court room with an auto opener on their side. LOL

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I don't think there are any laws for or against possession of a freaking SWORD... That is a bit extreme. Over 1.5 feet total length? No way in hell I'd carry that, open, concealed, or not.

Unless you hack your way though underbrush on a regular basis, or regularly find yourself attacked by evil samurai, get a good pocketknife. Need protection? Get your concealed carry permit. If you have to use it in DEFENSE of your life who cares how loud it is, the louder the better.

Chances are, if you are ever in a deadly force encounter, the other party will have a firearm. Ever hear of "don't bring a knife to a gunfight"? Don't bother bringing a sword either, cause that won't cut it, literally.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    I haven't been to a gun show in ages. I'm sure they do sell spring knives, but places such as sporting goods stores or hunting outfitters around here do not. Only the safety supply stores.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    My grandpa gave me a switchblade when I was 9 years old. It was pretty cool now that I think back, it was not huge, the handle was made like a deer's foot with hair and everything. Not realizing just how much cool factor there was in that knife, I traded it for a four inch Buck 110 with a leather sheath. I used to walk all around the neighborhood with that knife on my belt, into the convenience store as well, deputies passed by like it was nothing. Nowadays some soccermom would be on the cell dialing 911 before the tinkling bell on the Quikimart door stopped ringing.

Top Bottom