Registering a new firearm?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    I'm new to gun ownership...I purchased my first gun(Springfield XD .45) this past Saturday. Is there any type of registration process I have to complete to comply with state and fed. laws? Or do I just need to keep my purchase receipt in a safe place? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just want to be sure all of my bases are covered.

Thanks.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    No gun registration in Louisiana for most firearms.

The only firearms that require registration in Louisiana are silencers, short barrel rifles, machine guns, and other exotic weaponry.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    However, if you travel through New Orleans, I'd recommend keeping a xerox of the sales receipt in your wallet. NOPD likes to ask for "proof of ownership" even though their not supposed to do that.

onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    Also, how does it work if I was to sell my gun. As of now, if the police trace the serial # won't my name show up? How do you go about getting the ownership transferred?

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    So you can buy and sell as you please without registration?
    In Louisiana, yes.
    Also, how does it work if I was to sell my gun. As of now, if the police trace the serial # won't my name show up? How do you go about getting the ownership transferred?
    Just sell it.

If you selling to someone out of state you must use a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer to transfer the gun across state lines.
    Make sure if your in NO you know how to assemble your firearm because if you get stopped by Nolacopusmc he might disassemble it. lol J/k
    It says "J/K", but that's hella serious.:D

:)

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

If you should choose to sell your firearm sometime in the future , write out a bill of sale with two copies . Have both parties sign each copy and make sure the serial number is listed . Nothing more is needed . :)

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    If you should choose to sell your firearm sometime in the future , write out a bill of sale with two copies . Have both parties sign each copy and make sure the serial number is listed . Nothing more is needed . :)

This is not actually needed. But, I think that everyone here would highly suggest it as a CYA (cover your ass) action. In the event that the firearm is used in a crime, they may be able to track the gun down through the original purchase at the FFL and come up with your name as being the last known owner. (I don't think, I may be wrong thought, that the copies of transfers that the FFL is required to keep for a time is not supposed to be used for this, but who knows....)

When the serial number is run it should not come up with your name, it should not come up with anyone's name, should just be coming up with if that serial number was reported stolen/missing....however, I have had mine run and it does come up with my name, and I purchased it 5 years ago.

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Police requests s/n trace from ATF. The s/n is traced to the last FFL. FFL provides 4473 to ATF w/ your name on it.
    Obama is working towards a system which would allow police to trace the gun directly, which is currently against the law.

And yes, if NOPD steals safely stores your gun after a natural disaster such as Katrina they will require a copy of your reciept. :rofl:

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA

That may help but it is certainly not a legal document unless it is notarized. I've signed stuff for people but there is no way for Average Joe to verify someone's DL number or any other info.

Just be glad citizens still have the right to sell FTF without any hassles. I'm sure it won't last much longer.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Police requests s/n trace from ATF. The s/n is traced to the last FFL. FFL provides 4473 to ATF w/ your name on it.
    Obama is working towards a system which would allow police to trace the gun directly, which is currently against the law.

And yes, if NOPD steals safely stores your gun after a natural disaster such as Katrina they will require a copy of your reciept. :rofl:

Police ask me about a gun traced to me: "I sold it to a guy FTF at a gun show.", unless there is a better answer.

NOPD wants a receipt I provide a handwritten receipt from Average Joe dated to correspond with an earlier gun show, unless I have a better receipt.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    This is not actually needed. But, I think that everyone here would highly suggest it as a CYA (cover your ass) action. In the event that the firearm is used in a crime, they may be able to track the gun down through the original purchase at the FFL and come up with your name as being the last known owner. (I don't think, I may be wrong thought, that the copies of transfers that the FFL is required to keep for a time is not supposed to be used for this, but who knows....)

When the serial number is run it should not come up with your name, it should not come up with anyone's name, should just be coming up with if that serial number was reported stolen/missing....however, I have had mine run and it does come up with my name, and I purchased it 5 years ago.

I didn't mean to imply that a reciept was legally required . Just a good idea for a lot of reasons .

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    If NOPD asks me for a receipt and they confiscate my weapon because of lack of such, they're going to have fun with that armed robbery charge.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom