Registering old unregistered boat help.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So, as the title states I'm looking to register and old 14' aluminum boat that has never been registered before. I have a bill of sale from the guy I got it from but not Certificate of Origin (or whatever it's called). Has anyone ever successfully done this? Advice

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    So, as the title states I'm looking to register and old 14' aluminum boat that has never been registered before. I have a bill of sale from the guy I got it from but not Certificate of Origin (or whatever it's called). Has anyone ever successfully done this? Advice

Tired of paddling?

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I advise you to use a friends DL and address in Ms. register it there, then "move" to Louisiana. That would be your best bet. The state of Louisiana will not register a boat with out a clear chain of ownership. Ms is much more lenient. Once it is Ms registered, with a Ms. title, bringing it here is simple.

Chain of ownership;

Original purchaser of boat, must be state registered at that time.

notarized bill of sale and state registration to each additional owner.

If one owner skips registration, it can't be resold or re-registered.Period no exceptions. A non notarized Bill of sale is just a piece of paper the state does not recognize it.

Last edited:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    I went to LDWF and asked about this. They gave me an "Affidavit of Ownership" to have it filled out/signed by a JP. This form has a place for "The history of the boat's ownership and the circumstances of affiants acquiring possession of this boat are as follows." Was told to just bring that back and they would help me fill out the paperwork. I just haven't taken the time to do it yet.

The bass boat I just got rid of had even been issued a new HIN by them because the original had been removed at some point. New one was just a sticker on the transom. Was done before I bought it, so I don't know what paperwork was involved, but the title showed the original manuf. info and then listed homemade.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    This Affidavit was created post Katrina to address people who lost all their paper work and had no proof they were the last registered owners.(The LDWF would cross check this, against the last registered owner) It is not intended to be used to transfer ownership in any way, shape, or form. If it works that way for you, (which I seriously doubt) consider yourself extremely lucky and go buy a lottery ticket.

Rman

Free on weekends
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    City of Central
    I've found the LDWF to be very helpful in getting situations like this straightened out. Best bet is to visit them, in person, first. Show them what you have and let them do their thing... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Top Bottom