reload dilemma

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unclejhim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Jackson, La. (Port Hudson)
    I have been trying to reload some Barnes TTSX 35 Whelen 180gr. bullets.
    I purchased some of their factory ammunition as a check point. After sighting in the factory ammo, dead-on at 100 yds., I used the load data from the Barnes load data sheet. I used two of the three recommend powders (RL 7 & IMR 4198) in the lowest charge weights recommended. The OAL is almost exact of the factory ammo. Both loads were 8-10 "high.....both had good groups but I can't figure out why they are so high compared to the factory loads. I did an earlier test using higher loads and had the same effect, which is why I bought the factory ammo. Can anybody shed some light on this. I have e-mailed Barnes and am waiting their reply, the fella I need to talk to is out of town.
    I'm shooting a CVA Elite Stalker with a 24 " barrel, same length used in thenes load data.

unclejhim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Jackson, La. (Port Hudson)
    Thanks guys. I know it's going to be different but 8-10" high seems extreme. I've reloaded the Barnes TSX 70gr. 223 with much closed results to factory loads. As I said this seems extreme ......

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I had a rifle that hated pmc, 12-14" groups at 100, run something else and it would come down to just a tad over 1. Moa, I don't shoot pmc with it!

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I would guess its traveling slower and spending more time in the bbl. It would be leaving the muzzle a fraction of a second later as the rifle tilts up from recoil. Do you have access to a chrony to verify that you are matching the factory velocity? Also is there a way to compare your powders burn rate to the factory propellant?

ETA: if its shooting high but still grouping well then adjust your scope to your load and go with it.

Last edited:

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    The lower charge weight meant lower vel., therefore the bullet staying in the barrel longer and more affected by muzzle jump than anything. Muzzle jump caused the higher POI more than likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom