reloading .223

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tiptoe

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Prairieville
    Is it worthwhile to reload .223? Can anyone reccomend a decent but affordable set up to start with? The only reason I specifically state affordable isn't really because of price but rather just to test the waters of wether or not it is something ill enjoy. Perhaps someone has a used set up they want to sell or show me on so that I could get an idea. I'm also contenplating attending a reloading course. I shoot other calibers but not nearly as often or high quantities as with my AR.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I have a Dillon 550B. I got into pistol and am tooled to press about a half-dozen different calibers. Loading for pistol is for the most part like making lasagna. A monkey can make a shootable load, but there is plenty of room for the talented to make a precise consistent product.

So, my first rifle setup was .223/5.56. Lasagna it was not. A case gauge, case trimmer, a swage,and case lube were needed. Case prep alone took longer than making pistol ammo. What's more, the cases could be over-trimmed and each round needed to be evaluated in the case gage twice... once for the brass and once for the loaded round.

In short, the load worked and it was good knowing I could bang out a batch if needed. However I had a newfound respect for the cost of .223. IMO, handloading 30.06, 300 Win Mag, and perhaps .308 make sense for a shooter who is into slow fire precision shooting. With .223 I'm just a paper punching jackass on a handful of sundays in a year, and the craft is far too time consuming and tedious for what I do with the caliber. YMMV, but the further from 2003 war concerns we get, the less sense it makes to load right now.

Last edited:

Tiptoe

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Prairieville
    Thanks that was the type of info I was looking for. I ordered 4 cans of the green tip surplus .223 on stripper clips its under 2000 rounds but should last me awhile. My number one reason for wanting to reload is to have a hobby to pass the time when home. Maybe ill reload for my handgun calibers I'm down to about 1000 rounds of each and I probably have 3k brass saved and cleaned for both . I also just punch a bunch of paper holes with the AR , but i am going to hunt with it this year just for giggles .

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    The thing about loading most rifle calibers is that you can make high quality ammo for a little less than cheap ammo.

I reload .223 and I make a round that copies green tip pretty well. It cost me about $20-$30 less per 1000 than if I bought a case of Wolf ammo. So if you want to shoot quality ammo, reloading is for you. If you're just looking to make holes in paper at fairly close range, Wolf will do.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i reload for my ar in .223. i even cast my boolits for it. i load single stage so it takes a while, but i can load up $1k rounds for <$75.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    $30.00, 1k primers
    $37.50, 3lbs win748(8lb keg @ $100)
    $4.50, 9lbs lead @ $.50/lb
    $2.00, 1.35lbs lube.
    $0.00, 1k gas checks, made from aluminum beer bottles.
    $0.00, brass is all range pick up.

$73.50 total.

my load is a 62gr boolit @ 2450fps, which is 1.25 moa. my load was developed primarily for cost savings, but i was fortunate to find a very accurate load at the low end of the tables.

Top Bottom