Reloading 44 mag?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmw169

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I just new into reloading..I have a question about reloading 44 mag. I am reloading for rifle and pistol, so what data do I use if i want to shoot them out of both guns, do I use the rifle data or the pistol data... i deduct that if I want to shoot out of the pistol dont use the rifle data but can I shoot the pistol loads out of the rifle.? I am shooting a marlin lever and a s&w 629 mostly I want target loads but want to load some for hunting with the same accuracy as the target loads..confused..???:eek3:

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I shoot a lot of .44 mag, a load that has worked well for me is 240 grain semijacketed flat point (or cast) bullet over 8.0 grains of Unique. This load gives me about 1000 FPS from a 6" barrel revolver, and out of a lever gun would be faster, but not so punishing on the frame or the shooter.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Read your reloading manual. Check and see if the data listed for the cartridge in rifles is different than that for handguns. If the rifle data allows for a hotter maximum load, I wouldn't use those loads in the handgun. As long as the load you are using is in the range listed for both handguns and rifles, you'll be safe. No matter what the load, you'll get more velocity out of the rifle, obviously.

Always remember to err on the side of caution. There are lots of listings for cartridges that have different maximum loads depending on the gun. If you want a load that is safe in all guns, be sure it is loaded less than or equal to the maximum of the lowest-power data.

This is especially true with old cartridges. I believe in one of the manuals I own there are 3 separate sets of data for .45/70 and many cartridges have separate data for T/C encores and other heavy-duty single shots.

I use 200gr JHP in my .44 over 27.0 grains of WIN 296. The max is 28 and the min is 26, so I just split the difference as all I use them for is impressing people at the range with the substantial muzzle blast that WIN 296 provides. If you haven't tried that powder, it is worth looking at for magnum handgun cartridges (makes the .357 sound like a .44).

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I think the 629 can handle loads above store bought ammo but follow the reloading manual data. Any pistol load will shoot to higher velocities in a rifle. Unless you are going to hunt large dangerous game pistol loads are all you need. I loaded alot of 245 grain gas checked SWC HP anf FP with 11.9 grains unique.

Always follow reloading manuals data. Modern Reloading second edition by Richard Lee is a good manual. You can buy them off of eBay.

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    H110 and Winchester 296 are basically the same powder.
    I load 23.5gr of H110 or 296 behind a 240gr JHP or JSP for hunting loads and are very accurate. Lil Gun is also a good powder to use with a little lower pressures than H110 or 296. Also AA#9 is good powder to use for magnum loads. You can improve on the wussified loads that are loaded now in factory cartridges for the 44 mag. At one time the 44 mag was loaded to 1500 fps with a 240gr bullet. Nowadays, factory loads list 1250fps velocity for 240gr loads. Another good powder to use is Elmer Keith's favorite-- Hercules 2400.

I use H110 in my Ruger 45 Colt magnum loads and it outperforms the 44 mag with 20% less pressure. I'm shooting a 250gr Hornady XTP with 25gr of H110 and it works fine and is actually less than the starting load of 25.6 gr.
    The 45 Colt (.45) is to the 44magnum (.43) as the 44magnum is to the .41 magnum, powerwise.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I use the same resipe as Hunter for my hunting loads in my Marlin 94. Ver accurate and kills deers dead.
    The H-110 and 296 are good for you heavier loads. They don't work so well in the plinkin'/target loads. use 2400 for that.
    I've found the #9 to work good in my hot .41 loads, but not as well as my plinkin' loads. Again, I use 2400 for those.

Top Bottom