Reloading advice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank Da Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Northwest Louisiana
    I just recently purchased some reloading equipment, in the interest of saving money in the long run, and getting my long range rifles dialed in. I would welcome any advice from experienced reloaders. I will be loading .223's, .45's, .308.s, 30/30's, .30-06's, and .50 bmg. Or, at least I HOPE I will!! And I have absolutely no clue about loading, so take it easy on this newcomer.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Get a reloading manual to start and read read read. I started a couple weeks ago and its a great hobby. I suggest Lymans 49th as a very good starter book.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd find someone around you who can walk you through the process as well as reading. I remember when I started, reading was one thing but sitting down with my uncle and going through the steps helped everything make more scense.

Also, start on a single stage press. Don't try and learn on a progressive press. It is important to go through each step and check your work.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I'd find someone around you who can walk you through the process as well as reading. I remember when I started, reading was one thing but sitting down with my uncle and going through the steps helped everything make more scense.

Also, start on a single stage press. Don't try and learn on a progressive press. It is important to go through each step and check your work.

I started on a progressive. Just treat it as a single stage at first and then as you get the feel of it you can start using it as progressive.

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    First get a good reloading manual, if you bought Lee stuff his reloading manual has his procedures on his stuff. Develop a process and stick with it do not vary how you load. I load everything i shoot and have for many years it is quite rewarding to see how much better your stuff shoots then store bought. Unfortunately you picked the worst time to buy components with the panic buying continuing.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge

+1 reading can only do so much for you.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Yes for good manuals that provide details for all aspects of handloading and recipies for most cartridge/bullet combinations...If you don't understand something seek answers for others who know and are willing to help...
    The most important thing to understand is your scale and how it works and know it short comings! I prefer the beam type, the electronics will drift, some only read in even tenths of a grain, most electronics will read in other forms of measurments-Grains / Cart / Oz / Gram / Dram /etc...be sure you're set to the proper scale function.
    Know and understand how to adjust your dies, take some measurements, cartridge case gauges are great tools to check your setup.
    Kinetic bullet pullers can help with mistakes, uncertainties or test how well the neck tension is for your settings...

quigleysharps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Kansas
    I would welcome any advice from experienced reloaders.

One of the most important tips I can give is not to let anything distract you while reloading...especially if one upgrades to a progressive...with some powders you can double charge a case and not be aware of it. Had that happen a few years back. A friend brought his 2 young boys out and they were the kind that wouldn't stay out of things. I knew better but was trying to keep an eye on them while still trying to reload...ended up double charging some...haven't made that mistake since. ;)

Top Bottom