Reloading newbie questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Hello everyone,

I'm gearing up to start reloading 9mm ammo and have already spent quite a bit of time reading the ABCs of reloading as well as the forums. So far I've got my reloading equipment squared away, but now the question of getting components has me a bit perplexed. My main question is regarding bullets. I have heard of the Bayou Bullets with their green coating, seen them tested on youtube and I really like the price vs performance that they seem to have. However, I have no idea what kind of loads I should be putting together with these coated lead bullets. Where do I start if I go with the BBs? Am I better off starting with FMJ bullets from a well-known outfit that would have load data in the published manuals? I shoot at both indoor and outdoor facilities, so is coated lead a good choice for both?

All input is appreciated!

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    By all means start with the ByuBoolits. Use the recommended loads in your manual for a cast boolit of the same weight.
    If Donny has a proven and tested recipe, use it with confidence.

9mm? Are you reloading for your little sister?:mamoru:

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    what weight bullet and what kind of powder do you have

I have not acquired either bullets or powder yet. My plinking ammo (factory) is 115 grain, so I'll probably stay in the 115-125 grain range. Powder choice is still up in the air since I don't know what is available locally and I really need to spend some more time reading up on the subject.

Thanks for the PM, btw, much appreciated. :)

By all means start with the ByuBoolits. Use the recommended loads in your manual for a cast boolit of the same weight.
    If Donny has a proven and tested recipe, use it with confidence.

9mm? Are you reloading for your little sister?:mamoru:

I enjoy mechanical work in miniature :-p And you gotta start somewhere :) 9mm is what I currently own, so that's what I'm playing with right now.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    RIGHT ON!!!! Reloading ain't hard once you have it figured out. I find it to be very relaxing. No Tv, no radio, no wife, no kids. Just the steady csshunk cashunk of the press.
    Just wait.......a year from now your'e gonna have more reloading junk than you can imagine.

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    RIGHT ON!!!! Reloading ain't hard once you have it figured out. I find it to be very relaxing. No Tv, no radio, no wife, no kids. Just the steady csshunk cashunk of the press.
    Just wait.......a year from now your'e gonna have more reloading junk than you can imagine.

Been there done that. My closets are full of my other hobbies at this point...:eek3:

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    One of my favorite 9mm loads consists of 135 gr. Bayou Bullets and Titegroup powder. I highly recommend Bayou Bullets for their consistency in weight, accuracy, ease of clean up (no lube all over the place) and no leading problems. Someone mentioned Berry bullets but I've found them to be too inconsistant. For example, the last box of 158 gr. .38 cal berry bullets I bought varied from 146 gr to 167 gr. With Bayou Bullets I've never had more than a 5 gr variance.

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ended up picking up some Titegroup powder tonight. Still in search of small pistol primers and waiting for a response from bayou bullets. Anyone know of a shop on the east/west bank that carries primers? Jeff Gun is out right now :(

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Got in touch with Donnie, so the bullet part should be taken care of. Going with 125 gr LRN to start with. Still in search of primers though. :confused:

Meet donnie at cabela's, thus saving you in shipping and tax. Then go in cabela's and buy your primers. :D

(call ahead to see if they have them in stock but they usually do.)

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Nick's shooting range, in Garyville, had Remington SP primers last time I was there. He also had SR primers that you could use if you are not using full power loads.

Top Bottom