Reloading Outside

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Wanted to get some thoughts on what you guys do/don't keep on your reloading benches that are either in the garage or the shop. My bench is in the garage, but I keep pretty much everything (primers, powder, projectiles, cleaned brass, ect inside). Really about the only things outside are my press and a few tools. Kind of a pain to have to bring things in and out, but I'm kind of worried about leaving thing in the temperature extreme (mainly HOT and humid). Thanks ahead of time for the input.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Powders and primers are fine in the garage. Heat and cold is no issue. I keep mine in a plastic ammo container. I keep my press covered up and throw in a couple dissecant packs inside the cover. Not sure if they do any good, but it can't hurt. All the rest of my reloading.tools are in the garage as well.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    As long as you keep the press oiled (mine is a steel press and will rust) you will be fine. I keep my primers and powders inside. Dies (with a light coat of oil), press, bullets, cases, tools, etc. stay in the garage.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Powders and primers are fine in the garage. Heat and cold is no issue.

I beg to differ. Heat and humidity are the enemies of powder and primers. You may be able to control the humidity to some extent by using a sealed container but the heat is still an issue.

I personally keep all of my reloading equipment and supplies in a temperature controled room.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I keep primers & powders inside the house. Long ago, I had an old fridge that I used to store powder in. Fridge went belly up and since have stored everything, beside the press, scales and brass, inside.

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Thanks for the advice. I keep my press and tools with a light coat of oil. Have never seen any rust. I believe that I'll move a few more things out to the bench, but definitely keep the powder and primers inside.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I have the same situation. What with the heat and hot garage, I too keep components inside the heated and cooleed house. Got tired of the oppressive heat in the garage, fan not much help, got a Lee hand press...Sweet. I can do a lot of reloading chores inside the house where it is cool. Last saturday I reloaded 100 rounds of 38 special , and didn't break a sweat , sitting at the dining room table.

Top Bottom