Reloading question, if anyone can help please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    I've never reloaded pistol ammo yet and am really wanting to start. I plan on 9mm (9x19) and .45 auto. My
    Question is about case trimming. I trim all my brass for my ar-15, 30-06 and my 243 but I've been told that pistol brass does not need to be trimmed, how true is this? And should I trim my pistol brass too? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    No trimming required for the rounds you are loading.

Some revolver rounds with a roll crimp should be trimmed to ensure equal crimping for best accuracy.

Storm52

Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Another "no trimming required" reply. You will toss them before they ever elongate. Find someone in your area that rolls their own and ask if they would let you apprentice with them and use their equipment, before you purchase. Reloading isn't a good fit for everyone. You need to dedicate a space, time and undivided attention.

Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Ok so no trimming is needed on the pistol cases I want to reload. Good to know. I did mic various 9mm and .45 cases I have and it seems that they are all diff lengths, however none are below or above the trim length or max case length. I know on rifle brass this would affect the crimping for those cases with the crimping groove. I'll take y'all's advice, thanks for the input.

sksshooter

Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    do yourself a favor and pick up lee factory crimp dies for the pistol rounds you are loading. or at the very least seat your bullet and crimp in 2 steps. seat the bullet then back the seater plug out and adjust your die to crimp.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Do yourself a real favor and buy Dillon dies. Especially if you. Plan to load using lead bullets without a jacket. They are the easiest to clean and you don't lose your adjustment. They are worth every extra penny. Not to mention the warranty is great.

pwl822

Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    no trimming unless you want them to look pretty. by the time they need it you will have split case mouths and other things. your brass will let you know its time to get replaced.

Redd508

May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Case length can vary by manufacturer too. I have to sort some of my 38s before i load because the bullets cannelure may not fall at the case mouth without some adjustment of the dies. Presort and load in batches.

beauxdog

Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ivan,

They are correct, pistol case don't need to be trimmed down. On your cases all you will need is a taper crimp. All you want to do is pust the case back up against the bullet to hold it in place. It's not hard to do with the three die set and it works out pretty well. Run an empty shell up all the way and screw the die down minus the seating plug, until you feel the die contac the case. Once you feel the contac, screw it down ~1/16 of a turn, this should push the case back enough. The put the seating plug back in and start with a new expanded case and adjust the bullet depth you need. With a little adjustment on either you should have it. You should not be able to pust the bullet in the case by hand pressure. Try this and if you have any other problems give us a call.

Thanks,

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    225-389-6077

Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I will look into a lee factory crimp, also am looking into the dillon, if I choose to go with dillon I will stop In At the shop Bryan. Again thank you all very much.

Top Bottom