Reloading question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Hey everyone, I was doing some .223 reloading today and after resizing I started to measure my case lengths just to see if they needed to be trimmed. Case specs are max length 1.76" and trim length 1.75". I cannot find the min case length. I am well I guess you can say dumbfounded at what I measured. Some of the brass measured between 1.55" - 1.767 "and I trimmed those up to 1.75". However some of my brass measured at 1.739"-1.748". I've never trimmed these cases yet and how in the world can they be under the trim to length? None of the cases are crushed, bent, warped or dented either. I am trying to figure out why they are so darn short. Biggest concern or question is are these cases safe to reload? Rifle being used is the sig M400 AR-15. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

ChrisK

May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    I've had some factory 223 once fired cases that measure short, I dunno why, but I load them anyway. I figure they will stretch. I've never ran into problems loading short cases. For a bench shooter, I'm sure accuracy is probably effected, but I do a lot of plinking and shooting steel, so it's not an issue for me. Although, someone more knowledgeable may chime in, I'm still pretty new at loading.

highstandard40

Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'd be willing to bet that if you also measued the diameter of the case rim and head you would find it to also be under spec, sometimes by a lot. Ammo manufacturers usually produce cases undersize. I don't concern myself with short cases. Just load, shoot, and enjoy.

Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    I did measure the case head and and every case is undersized. Case head spec is .376 and all of mine mic out at .373 and rim spec is .378, mine is at .375. So all are under sized but not by much at all. I am going to make two batches, one at trim spec for use with cannelure and the short cases for non cannelure. Hope after a few reloads they will stretch to spec. Was alarming to me to find this out. Thank you ChrisK and Highstandard.

xmeister

xmeister
    Sep 21, 2010
    Prairieville
    Ivan
    As others have said, no problem with the short cases. Just load and shoot and don't worry about it. There is a lot of 223 or 556 brass out there and all of it isn't great. What brand is on the case head?

Lanny

Ivan

Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Lanny, the brands are R-P and FC. All of my lake city brass is to spec and a lot of the RP and FC are to spec as well. Out of 500-600 rounds I checked, about 150 were under spec. I accept any and all advice, thank you Lanny.

Top Bottom