Reloading the 300 AAC Blackout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gene3650

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Lafayette, La.
    Hi everyone. I a new member and thought I would start a discussion going on reloading this round. About a month ago I built two rifles because I was quite impressed with the versatility of this round. Additionally, a close friend who is in the military and is a special ops and sniper really got me interested also. Being said, there seem to be limited information on reloading this round and it seems the most popular powders are WW296, H110, IMR4227 and Hodgons "Lil Gun". Because I already had some, I'm using WW296 with 125 gr. Matchkings and Balistic tips and occasionally a Hornady 150 gr. FMJ. My loads have been 17grs for the 125's and 16 grs for the 150. Reloads have functioned well with only a few shot strokes in one of my new rifles which seems to have cleared itself. My question is, are there other powders that are slower in burn rate that might give a different pressure curve and help eliminate the shot stroking. From what Ive seen, I doubt that I could load any of the powders mentioned above in subsonic rounds without a supressor. I'm doing a lot of research on this round, but I would welcome any comments.

Thanks, i think I'm going to like this site as I've have been reloading, shooting and building AR type rifles for 30+ years and like to talk with anyone who has similar interest.

JDawg560

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2013
    Montz, LA
    Welcome, Gene.

Seems like we've both been doing similar things for many years. I've been loading my own ammo since the late 1970s and modifying or building my guns from scratch for the last 20 or so. I finished my first 300 AAC early last year; I went with a Noveske 14.5" barrel that has a pistol length gas system.

As far as loading I put some together using my last half pound of 296. Those were with the 125 grain SMK (17.3 grains of Win 296). They were accurate and function was perfect.

Projectiles seem to be becoming more availble, just need powder! Seems like 296, H110 or 300MP are the way to go. Lil Gun reportedly burns very hot, so I think I'll pass on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom