Remaining ammo display idea

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KWA22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Taylor, LA
    So here i am staring at my 10/22 action, mag and stock and wondering how to make an round display. I've seen videos on youtube about recoil operated ones but they dont seem reliable to me. if you dropped it, it would since the drop as recoil and malfunction. So this is a little idea i came up with:

Looking inside the bx25 magazine, i see a lot of free space to put a type of position sensor (see figure 1) that would be small enough and long enough to go from the bottom of the follower to the bottom of the mag. then connecting a pin to the follower and to the position sensor. as rounds are placed in or taken out the follower moves up and down on the sensor (figure 2-3-4) changing resistance in the sensor. Connecting the mag to the receiver can be done with spring loaded pins that contacts terminal's on the receiver (figure 5-6) the wires can be fed to the rear of the stock on the side of the receiver (figure 7) A simple 2 digit display inlet in the rear of the stock (figure 8) electronics can be installed in the rear of the stock. Now here is where im getting lost...making circuit's. I haven't a clue how to make the interface between the sensor data to convert it to numbers, then wiring. But can it be done? is it a sound idea?

Figure 1
    100_0830.jpg

Figure 2
    100_0831.jpg

Figure 3
    100_0832.jpg

Figure 4
    100_0833.jpg

Figure 5
    100_0834.jpg

Figure 6
    100_0836.jpg

Figure 7
    100_0839.jpg

Figure 8
    100_0837.jpg

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Yes it can be done. Should it be done, thats a little tougher to answer.
    WHY?
    If your just plinking your round count dosent matter.
    If you shooting a competition your more concerned about hits on target in as little time as possible not how many rounds you have remaining.
    If you want to do it for the hell of it by all means go ahead, Id love to follow you in this project.
    You should kick this idea around on "rimfirecenteral.com" and while your there dig up the post about the electronic trigger-anything can be done!

Last edited:

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    And I thought I was Bored............
    Neat Idea for sure. Hell, the guy that made the first "Spinners" for his wheels was bored too.
    However, I do like how the last round flashes the display combined with an audible sound.
    I think the audible sound should be something like, " RUNAWAY, - RUNAWAY ":run:

Last edited:

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    There's a video out there of a guy who built one using a g-force sensor. It counts down whenever the recoil hits. I can't seem to find it but I don't have a lot of time to search either.

Top Bottom