Remember when...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I am 24 years old... and I was just sitting down surfing the internet, checking email, listening to Pandora radio, and txting my GF all at the same time.... on my phone.. I am pretty young by most standards on here, but I am dumbfounded sometimes by the stuff we can do these days.

I remember when my mom had a bag cell phone that you had to plug in the cig lighter in the car and was HUGE it was like 10lbs. When I got my first cell phone it had the Green Screen and you could play snake and that was pretty much it... now i can play games on my phone with someone over seas..

We use to have to pay for so many mins for the internet on dial up... no I can take my lap top just about anywhere and get internet..

I kinda miss the good ol' days sometimes... stuff was a lot less complicated... wish we could go back sometimes

Friends would ride from miles around to play a good ol' game of backyard tackle football
    I don't have any kids but, I am pretty sure i would not feel safe now letting my kid ride there bikes to a friends house... or even feel safe letting them do half the stuff I did when I was a kid... Never know with people now.. not a whole bunch of trustworthy people around these days..

I would like to hear some Remember when Storys from Y'all... lets hear'em

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Real quick one then i'm off to bed. When I was a kid at @ midnight the National Anthem would come on then all TV stations would go off, thats right nooo TV only static.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    wow... did not know they did that back in the day... they should bring that back... im so friggen fed up with people worrying about offending people...

kdavis1984

Practice, Practice
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Denham Springs
    ...playing outside all day and well into the evening. Then begging for just a few more minutes.....now you rarely see any kids playing outside. But you do see lots of kids in the mall/walmart/grocery store who talk back to their parents. If I had ever smarted off to my mother I automatically knew I was dead.....now you see it everyday and sometimes on more than one occasion.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Real quick one then i'm off to bed. When I was a kid at @ midnight the National Anthem would come on then all TV stations would go off, thats right nooo TV only static.

sometimes flags flying, other's fighter jets flying...
    I miss those days for sure...
    I miss my old flying days, when I got my tail dragger endorsement...
    AvGas was $1.89/gal, and $10 in auto fuel lasted a week...

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    wow... did not know they did that back in the day... they should bring that back... im so friggen fed up with people worrying about offending people...

Same here. That's awesome and should definitely happen again. It's disgusting what this country is turning into.:twitch:

...playing outside all day and well into the evening. Then begging for just a few more minutes.....now you rarely see any kids playing outside. But you do see lots of kids in the mall/walmart/grocery store who talk back to their parents. If I had ever smarted off to my mother I automatically knew I was dead.....now you see it everyday and sometimes on more than one occasion.

Those certainly were the days. I still had video games and stuff, but I LOVED riding my bike, throwing a frisbee, or even just running around.

I was raised by my grandparents, so I got what my parents got. LOL. I see these stupid reality shows on TV and it makes me sick thinking about WHY these kids are so demonic and WHY the parents question it. Some people just let their kids run rampant and then get upset when their kids tell them off. Well, try some discipline from a young age next time.

My story would have to be waking up early on Saturdays to watch cartoons, back when cartoons were worth watching.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I'm 71.

You don't want to get me started.

I remember when I moved up to a Corvair from a VW and it cost more than three dollars to fill the tank. Jeezum crow!
    :squint:

Countryboy1985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    Staying out as late as possible (when the street lights came on) and your curfew was moms whistle.... And you could hear that whistle from ANYWHERE in the neighborhood! The best I got on that is hollering as loud as I can for my daughter..... But as for the kids nowadays talking back, that reflects back on the parents.... My daughter knows what happens if she talks back or doesn't mind her manners and knows what's expected of her. And for that matter, if it's light outside and a nice day, she will be playing outside! Hell! I'll be playing outside!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Living in the country has given me the ability/blessing of raising my kids similar to the way I was raised.

The kids play outside until dark and at dark like my father did with us I have to give the ear piercing high pitch whistle for them to come inside. And yes most times I have to RINSE them off before letting them in the house. Tis also the reason I have a water hose near the front door :D

I focus a lot on individual disciplinary responsibilities for the kids too. My 4 1/2 year old son opens all doors for all females and he also picks up every piece of trash he see's and puts it in the trash cans on the side of the house. He does this at his Paw Paw's and Uncle's house too. I did have to tell him that it wasn't necessary to do this in the Wal-Mart parking lot lol. Oh and I also had to teach him discretion when peeing outside like around the back of the shed. Standing with pants around his ankles in the middle of the driveway was not cool.(Only b/c his sister would also try)lol Either way this is a responsibility for him that he get's rewarded for. Keep the porch clean, the outside toys put up straight and the trash out of the yard. As he gets older, the task will increase and so will the rewards.

My 2 1/2 year old daughter will pick up every dish she see's around the house. Spoon, fork, empty glass anything and puts it in the sink. This is her little work responsibility that she also gets praised for.

My 3 week old daughter eats and poops all day and most of the night too.....:rofl:

Anyway I just wanted to let some of you older guys know that Chivalry is not dead and some of us younger folks are teaching the future generation good manners and what a good working ethic looks like while helping them comprehend the Fruits of their Labors.

I could go on for hours about raising kids stories and how much of a blessing it is.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La

Not just that, the video that would play would be scenes of the Statue of Liberty, the Flag and other scenes across the US...

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Times sure have changed. I too remember playing outside all day until the streetlights came on....if there were street lights. If not we just knew to be back at dusk.
    How about watching TV before cable, or color for that matter. Anyone else remember having to turn the rabbit ears for better reception? Oh, and remote control TV...hell, I was the remote control back when someone had to actually turn a knob to change the channel. I was thrilled when we actually got cable TV, I had a whopping 12 stations instead of 4!
    Heck, I didn't get a cell phone until I was 30 years old.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    .....when every kid dismantled and fixed their own bicycles? Taking them down to pieces and fixing your own wheels, realigining brakes, making choppers by cutting the forks off of other old bikes, etc.

Kids today don't seem to be interested in that. I guess when new bikes cost $100 I suppose learning simple mechanical skills doesn't matter anymore. Another one is treehouses. We had neighborhood communal treehouses along with private ones in empty lots, behind levees, underground, etc.

If you didn't know someone with a treehouse or fort when I was a kid, you must have been an alien.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    I grew up in a small town in Miss. during the 50s-60s Our streetlight was the moon. Did not have to move rabbit ears-we only got 2 stations and they were both out of Jackson. I remember when my Grandfather put locks on the doors. We had one AC window unit, it was in the living room and it only got turned on for Sundays or for company. Phone number was four digits. My Grandmother's sister lived in Port Gibson-she just picked up the phone and told the operator who she wanted. My Dad owned a small grocery store. My brother and I would work all day for a dollar-in cash, candy, or comic books. In 1962-63 I saved enough money and got a Marlin .22 through the mail from a company in Chicago. Mayberry had nothing on us.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    .......Older cars that didn't even have seatbelts (it was dad's arm when he stopped).
    .......Boiled crawfish for .49 pound.
    .......Parents smoking and drinking and driving with kids in car.
    .......Running / driving bicycles behind fog truck.
    .......Playing with Mercury because it was amazing.
    .......Putting bugs, leizards, creatures, in Gerber jars full of Formaldehyde.
    .......Building rafts to sail in the lake.
    .......The entire neighborhood; each having full equipment and playing tackle football.
    .......Being dropped off anywhere in New Orleans by parents to go fishing.
    .......Taking public service bus to school in middle school.
    .......Hunting squirrels, ducks, birds, anything in the city and by the lakefront.
    .......Swimming in the lake 10,11,12 years old, no supervision. None needed.

To name a few more.

Matchgrade

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Red Stick
    .....when every kid dismantled and fixed their own bicycles? Taking them down to pieces and fixing your own wheels, realigining brakes, making choppers by cutting the forks off of other old bikes, etc.

Kids today don't seem to be interested in that. I guess when new bikes cost $100 I suppose learning simple mechanical skills doesn't matter anymore. Another one is treehouses. We had neighborhood communal treehouses along with private ones in empty lots, behind levees, underground, etc.

If you didn't know someone with a treehouse or fort when I was a kid, you must have been an alien.

We did the same things. I remember popping a wheelie on my Schwinn with the additional chopper forks and they popped off with the wheel (hey, I was ten and couldn't weld yet). That was one of many trips to the ER I had as a youth. Good Times.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We did the same things. I remember popping a wheelie on my Schwinn with the additional chopper forks and they popped off with the wheel (hey, I was ten and couldn't weld yet). That was one of many trips to the ER I had as a youth. Good Times.

You didn't hammer them on hard enough.:rofl:

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    226431_219132011449416_100000578552163_825369_1293672_n.jpg

Remeber these? it's next to a train station in Shriever.

Top Bottom